Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 09:58 PM

554 posts, read 2,501,030 times

Advertisements

When I come to this board sometimes, I'm appauled at some of the remarks some people make... but then I stop and think: is this the actual reality of Detroit? Or is it just a small minority of people that make the entire area look like a backwards area?

How are minorities treated in the area? For example, I've been wanting to take a trip to the Somerset Collection in Troy with my grandmother, as she likes upscale clothing stores. However, I wouldn't want to feel like a criminal everywhere I walk, with people staring at me like I don't belong..

So OVERALL, how are race relations in Metro Detroit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2007, 10:13 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,452,454 times
People often say that MI is a state of two economies - white collar and blue collar. I think this is very true and it also results in two cultures. But the people who frequent Somerset are by all appearances very diverse (ethnic, socio-economic, age, etc.). For Metro Detroit, the surrounding region (Troy, Royal Oak, Clawson) is relatively diverse and open-minded - not unlike Ann Arbor. The difference I've noticed is that the Michitucky areas are worse than most states and this carries over into people's attitudes. Just ask someone like RedWingsFan where they do NOT want to live and you know that's a good place to find diversity.

Last edited by Cato the Elder; 09-17-2007 at 10:27 PM..

Old 09-24-2007, 07:26 PM

156 posts, read 562,560 times
Wink Racism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato the Elder View Post
People often say that MI is a state of two economies - white collar and blue collar. I think this is very true and it also results in two cultures. But the people who frequent Somerset are by all appearances very diverse (ethnic, socio-economic, age, etc.). For Metro Detroit, the surrounding region (Troy, Royal Oak, Clawson) is relatively diverse and open-minded - not unlike Ann Arbor. The difference I've noticed is that the Michitucky areas are worse than most states and this carries over into people's attitudes. Just ask someone like RedWingsFan where they do NOT want to live and you know that's a good place to find diversity.
Good one, Cato. And Chicagoland92, I would agree with this observation as well.

Old 09-25-2007, 12:08 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,198,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato the Elder View Post
Ha! Michitucky! Totally true...

I would say to the OP that you and grandma should feel comfortable at Somerset, no matter what your skin tone is. I have been there numurous times and always see plenty of different ethnicities. I would advise to dress somewhat nice, only because the environment is upscale and I slipped in on an errand once looking kinda scuzzy and felt...out of place.

Old 09-25-2007, 12:24 PM

Or even more specifically, dress clean. There are plenty of people wearing sneakers and workout clothes b/c...they're working out by walking around the mall. There ARE the young 'uns with staples in their face and raggedy jeans, but that's more a fashion statment, me thinks, not a reflection of their state in life. If you are heading for some power shopping at places like Needless Markup (aka Neiman Marcus), then it's usually prudent to dress in your Sunday best. Heck, I went to Nordstrom's to drop $100+ on a pair of dress shoes and the salesman would hardly look at me b/c I was wearing jeans and a t-shirt, but I think you'll get that an most places (NoCal being the prominent exception as that guy in jeans might be a googleaire!).

Old 10-07-2007, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooperxxx View Post
Edit: I agree with Cato The Elder regarding the socio-economic landscape of Metro Detroit. However, I disagree as to the cities he listed as diversity and open mindedness. Royal Oak isn't bad, but it isn't at all racially diverse (FYI, my kid went to Keller Middle School, Dondero High School and Royal Oak (Kimball) High School ). As i alluded to previously, Troy is less so than R.O. Clawson, at least to my mind, is a little Hazeltuckyish... but not nearly to the degree of a Livonia or Sterling Hts. Birmingham, Bloomfield Hills, Farmington Hill, Farmington, Lathrup Village, Beverly Hills, Southfield etc... exhibit more diversity and open mindedness. If I had to pick the most open minded town in Metro Detroit, it would be Ferndale. In Ferndale white people, black people, middle easterners, homosexuals and even trans-gendered people coexist in relative harmony.
Notice I said relatively diverse and not what some statistic says. Plus I think we focus on ethnicity at the detriment of other aspects of diversity sometimes. The example I give is a place like Stanford University. You'll get every ethnic group under the sun including a large black population, but when you meet them, they're usually like the "Huxtable" or "Banks" family with their parents doctors, lawayers, etc.

I do agree that Ferndale is a relatively diverse place, but even look at their ethnic "statistics" - 92% white, 3.5% black, 1% Asian, .5% American Indian, 3% other. I think cultural/social diversity is the most important thing but it is not something easily quantified.

Old 10-07-2007, 07:50 AM

999 posts, read 4,527,339 times
Quote:
Metroit Detroit is a decidedly stand-offish racially polarized cow-town. In general, and specific to the near suburbs north of the city proper, the further east you go, the more racists, mullets, pickup trucks and Cameros you're likely to encounter. Macomb county should be avoided at all cost, as it will suck the life right out of you. Ditto for the downriver area and the suburbs west of Detroit but south of 8 mile rd., even more so.
When someone describes a Detroit suburb as "sucking the life out of you", they're speaking figuratively. When someone says the City of Detroit will "suck the life out of you", they can be either speaking figuratively OR literally....While living in Detroit, I was a property crime victim no less than 5 times, and a violent crime victim once. Since I moved to the suburbs? Property crimes, nothing, violent crimes, nothing. I guess it all depends on priorities. Where I lived in Detroit, I could drive to downtown in 20 minutes. Where I live in the suburbs, I'm closer to the freeway and it takes me.....20 minutes to get downtown. With the crime in my Detroit neighborhood on the rise, and demographics changing, the bakeries were gone, the meat markets were gone, the bars closed down, resaurants were closed. The streetlights didn't work, the grass in the park was 3 feet tall, effectively hiding all the broken glass. All the things that made my neighborhood desirable either closed or relocated.

In the suburbs, I can walk to all the things I missed about my Detroit neighborhood. I don't have to carry a gun to feel safe cutting the grass or taking out the garbage. The only thing I miss is the houses built with 2x4's that actually measured 2x4, or walls that were actually made of structural brick and not just brick veneer. That's it. I don't need to live among buildings that are relics of a propsperous Detroit-gone-by. I'm nostalgic but not THAT nostalgic.

Last edited by and the; 10-07-2007 at 07:58 AM..

Old 10-07-2007, 08:48 AM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,153,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICAGOLAND92 View Post
When I come to this board sometimes, I'm appauled at some of the remarks some people make... but then I stop and think: is this the actual reality of Detroit? Or is it just a small minority of people that make the entire area look like a backwards area?
How are minorities treated in the area? ?
Whites are the minority in Detroit, and they are not treated too well by the majority there. Lots of minority whites are victims of violent crime by the majority group. So yeah... there is alot of racism against whites, and that has forced many of them out into the subrubs.
Umm... you are talking about whites when you refer to "minorities" in Detroit, right??

Old 10-07-2007, 08:58 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,594,835 times
I wouldn't say Ferndale is the most diverse at all. I think statistically Hamtamck may be the most diverse or even Southfield. Most of the metro area is 90+-:10+- except for a very few select places. And I guess that would make the Detroit area pretty segregated compared to many large urban areas.

Old 10-08-2007, 06:13 PM

937 posts, read 2,833,812 times
Southfield is as diverse as it gets around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit