Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2012, 09:42 AM

10 posts, read 19,409 times

Advertisements

I just graduated college with a Master's Degree in Information Systems. Recently I had an internship and the internship ended (the company just wanted temporary summer help). I have applied to entry-level positions for IT and have been passed up by a few companies. Are there any companies around here that anyone knows of that will hire an entry-level IT employee? I am living in the wrong area for IT?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 09:54 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Jobs are out there. Try Ford and DTE. Talk to a job consultant, mabe there is smethign wrong with your resume or your interviewing.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:51 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,992,985 times
You can also check with one of the Big 4 accounting firms - Deloitte, etc. You might be able to get a good job as a consultant doing implementations, IT audits, etc. The pay is usually much better than something like a help desk job.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:23 PM

2,008 posts, read 4,725,152 times
The place I work for will be needing another intern to replace me. It pays me 16.37 an hour and it pays more than that by a dollar or so with an advanced degree. I'm in the process of moving to NYC which is why they'll need someone. It's in auburn hills.

Old 08-18-2012, 07:00 PM

915 posts, read 1,505,924 times
Do you have any certifications to go along with your Masters' degree? A lot of employers look for certifications as well as a college degree as well as experience.... Certifications make a huge difference in the IT field.

Have you tried the contract houses? A lot of IT jobs through the Big 3 and other large firms are handled by contract houses and are contract or contract to hire.

My husband is in the IT industry and he's never had much of a problem finding IT work in town. He literally freaked out when it took him about 2-3 months last time around to find another job because during better times it took him weeks, not months to have a new job. He's a network admin.

He finds a lot of his stuff on Monster/Dice.com or through the contract houses he floats his resume out to when he's ready to look at moving to a new position.

That's all I got......hope it helps.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:48 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopygirlmi View Post
Do you have any certifications to go along with your Masters' degree? A lot of employers look for certifications as well as a college degree as well as experience.... Certifications make a huge difference in the IT field.

Have you tried the contract houses? A lot of IT jobs through the Big 3 and other large firms are handled by contract houses and are contract or contract to hire.

My husband is in the IT industry and he's never had much of a problem finding IT work in town. He literally freaked out when it took him about 2-3 months last time around to find another job because during better times it took him weeks, not months to have a new job. He's a network admin.

He finds a lot of his stuff on Monster/Dice.com or through the contract houses he floats his resume out to when he's ready to look at moving to a new position.

I think expereince is possibly most important. My BIL has an associates degree, but about 30 years of expereince. He frequently gets unsolicited job offers. He grumbles about the new masters degree people coming in and not knowing how to do anything and he has to spend a lot of time teaching them (he is impatient with people, I think he maybe likes computers better than people sometimes).

Old 08-21-2012, 09:15 AM

274 posts, read 627,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopygirlmi View Post

I hate to say it, but in I.T. a degree doesn't really get you anywhere, you need to get some certifications. Technology moves so fast that getting certified is the only way to keep current. I do not have my degree but have high level certifications from Cisco- CCNP and their CCNP-Voice. I put my resume online 2 weeks ago and had 3 interviews last week and I have 4 this week.

Your degree will be helpful if you want to eventually get into Management, but to get your foot in the door you need some certs.

What part of I.T. do you want to get in? PC/Server support, Networking, Telecommunications, Security? Let me know I can help point in the right direction as far as certs go. I can help you out with what type of study material you will need and where you take tests to get certified. All of mine are for Networking, Telecommunications, and Security and I have never had a hard time getting a job.

Another thing you can do is go to www.yellowpages.com and under search type in "employment" and put in Detroit for the city. A list of all staffing/employment firms will be listed. From there you will have to check out each place as not all of them deal with I.T. That was the method I used when I moved to FL in 05', GA in 08', and that's how I got my job when I moved back to MI in 10'.

Also, ask the place that you did your internship with about some letters of recommendation from Supervisors or Managers as those always help too.

Good Luck!

Last edited by I_Want_Snow; 08-21-2012 at 09:29 AM..

Old 08-28-2012, 05:55 AM

1 posts, read 1,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Want_Snow View Post

What part of I.T. do you want to get in? PC/Server support, Networking, Telecommunications, Security? Let me know I can help point in the right direction as far as certs go. I can help you out with what type of study material you will need and where you take tests to get certified. All of mine are for Networking, Telecommunications, and Security and I have never had a hard time getting a job.

Good Luck!
*Raises hand*

I am a 21 year old Community College Student who wants to get into networking, where do I start? (As far as certs go)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit