Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 06:49 PM

3 posts, read 4,305 times

Advertisements

Just moved here not long ago and noticed the people in the Detro metro area are some of the dirtiest and unkempt looking folks I've ever seen in my life. I know this area isn't doing that great economically speaking and was wondering if people around here are just depressed and given up on themselves due to hard times or do they really just not care about their appearance? I'm not saying people have to go out dressed to the nines but what's wrong with basic grooming, like showering, combing your hair, clean clothes and clothes that are at least color coordinated and fit properly? Also I've noticed that men around here seem to have no shame spitting when out on the street! Of all the places I've lived I've never seen a phenomenon like this before moving to Michigan. I've also noticed people in cars digging in their noses like there's a pot of gold up there. And yes I do a lot of people watching because I'm new to the area and trying to get a feel of the whole lifestyle and vibe but damn! The things I've seen have left me grossed out and bewildered. Is it just part of the lifestyle around here to not care about grooming yourself and to not have manners? I've never been any place like this before in my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 07:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,425 times
Default No, I don't think so

I have lived here over 40 years and there were times when you dressed to take out the trash. What areas are U visiting? One thing U are right about, there's nothing to dress 4. However, disrespect in dress is out of the ? and U should be groomed no matter what U are doing outside of the front door. How long have U been here? Set the style in your area and they will rise to the occasion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantBelieveMyEyes View Post
Just moved here not long ago and noticed the people in the Detro metro area are some of the dirtiest and unkempt looking folks I've ever seen in my life. I know this area isn't doing that great economically speaking and was wondering if people around here are just depressed and given up on themselves due to hard times or do they really just not care about their appearance? I'm not saying people have to go out dressed to the nines but what's wrong with basic grooming, like showering, combing your hair, clean clothes and clothes that are at least color coordinated and fit properly? Also I've noticed that men around here seem to have no shame spitting when out on the street! Of all the places I've lived I've never seen a phenomenon like this before moving to Michigan. I've also noticed people in cars digging in their noses like there's a pot of gold up there. And yes I do a lot of people watching because I'm new to the area and trying to get a feel of the whole lifestyle and vibe but damn! The things I've seen have left me grossed out and bewildered. Is it just part of the lifestyle around here to not care about grooming yourself and to not have manners? I've never been any place like this before in my life.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:47 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,071,318 times
You must not be visiting somerset mall or partridge creek mall or Birmingham

Old 09-27-2012, 07:53 PM

1,648 posts, read 3,273,157 times
Yeah there's a very different styles of dress if you're on the corner of Maple and Old Woodward, Gratiot and 12 mile, M59 and Romeo Plank, 96 and Novi Rd and Southfield Rd/75. That's way too broad a generalization. Certain sections definitely have more class than others.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:59 PM

21,124 posts, read 19,707,707 times
Thanks for the warm introduction. I have traveled all across this country and do not think the dress or behaviors are any different here than elsewhere. And there is a lot of variation even here.

...but I have to say that the ability to be offensive on the first encounter is more highly refined in some areas.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:35 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,887,114 times
I agree with Retroit. I just got back from my vacation in Las Vegas not even a week ago and I was staying on the strip. Walking up and down the strip the people there dress damn near exactly like the people in Detroit (And these are people from all over the world). Now granted, we may (and must be) in 2 different areas of the Metro Detroit area. Not trying to call you a lie or anything but your post makes you sound like you have never even been to Detroit and your just "guessing" what people in Detroit look and dress like based off of what people told you or the media (just like how people think LA folks are full of stuck up people with plastic surgery). Or it sounds like you live in some damn near rural outer exurb of Detroit. I see alot more dudes trying to dress like celebrities and women trying to look like models then I see people who look like they just "gave up" on themself. Many people I know are OBSESSED with name brands. And I know from experience, go take a girl from Detroit out on a date and if you give her a time make sure it's an hour (at least) early, she will take her sweet time getting ready trying to figure out what clothes she will wear, what style her hair should be, ect. gave up on themselves??? yeaaa... right lol. I can't convince some people to walk out of their house without getting dressed up at least a little bit (I'll admit I'm guilty of that too sometimes lol). In all honesty, the only thing I agree with you about is the spitting part and you username ( I can't believe them either). But there are some people that dress pretty weird (nothing compared to Orange County though). But like Retroit said, I see very little difference between Detroit and other cities in fashion trends.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:00 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,190,678 times
Quote:
Where did you live before?

These questions are always relative to where you've lived before, as well as what part of the city you're currently living in now.

Not saying you aren't wrong....but if you said you lived in NYC, LA, MIami, etc. Than I could count to thuggish areas of the 5 burroughs vs. the posher Manhattan areas. LA has it's East LA and it's Hollywood. Miami has its South Beach and it has 'the rest of Miami', etc.

If you said you'd lived in Knoxville or Louisville or Kansas City or Cleveland....than Detroit residents should probably look overall dress quite similar, etc.

Up to this point though, I'd have to peg you as a person that probably spent all of their time in the wealthiest of one of our most cosmopolitan cities though. If that is the case, than I'd agree with you that wealthier richer people who live in much more cosmpolitan cities, generally dress much better than people who don't.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:19 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,426,535 times
Washington DC
Washington, DC, United States - Google Maps

LA
Los Angeles, CA, United States - Google Maps

NY,NY
Times Sq - 42 St, New York, NY, United States - Google Maps

Miami
miami, United States - Google Maps

Honalulu
Honolulu, HI, United States - Google Maps

Chicago
chicago, United States - Google Maps

Detroit
Detroit, MI, United States - Google Maps

Guess I missed the differences?

Old 09-28-2012, 04:21 AM

3 posts, read 4,305 times
Um, I quite clearly stated in my original post that I didn't expect people to go out dressed to the nines. I quite clearly stated in my original post that I noticed around here people going out of their house, unshowered (I can smell them when standing in line at stores, yuck), hair uncombed, ill fitting clothes and such. The links you provided showed people dressed very casually. They don't look outright filthy to me which is what I was talking about in the first place. FFS I know you have slobs everywhere but here it seems to be of epidemic proportions which is what prompted me to ask the question in the first place. But now upon thinking about it this may have been the wrong forum for me to pose such a question. I have a feeling that the people that were born and raised here or have lived here for a significant amount of time are probably so used to either walking around looking a mess or seeing people that look a mess that it's just normal for them.

Old 09-28-2012, 07:56 AM

21,124 posts, read 19,707,707 times
Quote:
...LA, Malibu, Manhattan NY, Miami, Honolulu, Washington DC or Chicago...
A few reasons why you may have drawn your conclusion:

1. In places like Manhattan and Washington, DC, you are likely to find a lot of business people (or government people) who are going/coming to work, so you'd expect them to be washed and dressed a little better than people on personal time.

2. Malibu is an affluent area, so you really can't compare it to a major metropolitan area like Detroit. Maybe more like Grosse Pointe or Bloomfield Hills.

3. LA, Miami, Chicago, etc. are all large cities with just as much variation as Detroit in terms of hygiene and dressing.

A few reasons why people is some places may be more unkempt:

1. In warmer climates, people sweat more, so that could account for body odors. Since Detroit is in the north, this should tend to minimize the effect.

2. In warmer climates, people tend to dress down, again minimized in Detroit.

3. In poorer areas, people may not be able to afford dressing up as well. This would apply to Detroit, but many other cities as well.

4. In areas where you have a high number of immigrants, they may not be used to dressing up and may not have the same cultural norms of hygiene. This would be minimized in Detroit since, except for a few areas, is not a primary destination for immigrants.

5. You will generally find people a little better kept in downtown commercial areas than in the residential neighborhoods. Since Detroit has a smaller downtown, this may contribute to your observation.

I still disagree with you on the whole and think you could have presented your case less offensively. I'd be curious to know where you are from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit