Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 02:25 PM

12 posts, read 11,409 times

Advertisements

I will be joining GM Powertrain in July. I have a 3+ year old daughter. I am looking initially to rent a townhouse/apartment/condo/house in an area that is safe and is family friendly. Not very expensive, and has nice daycare centers and schools. Any suggestions or experiences regarding specific housing locations will be most welcome. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2015, 02:35 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,204,853 times
You actually have quite a few options. This is a part of Metro Detroit that's actually desireable. Lucky you!

For starters, of course, stay a good distance away from Pontiac proper. East of I-75 towards Rochester is fine. SE into the north part of Troy is good too. These are not the cheapest places in the world but OK for your needs. A slightly further place is NW Sterling Hgts. A little cheaper, east of Dequindre, north of 16 Mile Rd; good for the time being. M-59 moves fast for commuting so areas even east of Rochester Rd are not out of the question. There are some nice rentals there - especially on the north side of M-59 towards Utica. Check that out for sure.

If they are paying you good, North Woodward west of Crooks, north of 12 Mile Rd, (avoid SW Troy including Somerset, ghettoed, trashed, crime) is nice and includes eastern Bloomfield Twnshp along Opdyke.

North and west of Pontiac are Clarkston, Waterford which if far enough away from Pontiac are OK. Look at "The Bluffs" on Dixie Hwy. I know there were rentals there at one time. Acceptable.

North on US-24 towards Lake Orion appears to have newer built stuff, fairly recently. Very family-oriented area. Definitely a place to look.

Last edited by TwinbrookNine; 05-23-2015 at 02:47 PM..

Old 05-24-2015, 08:18 AM

Thank you! I will definitely look up options in the area you mentioned. I am planning to visit the area few times in June to look at places as I plan to move in July. I have read good things about schools in Rochester and Bloomfield area, but will check others too.

Old 05-24-2015, 10:54 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,828,718 times
Just be careful and mapquest when you look in Bloomfield which is different then Bloomfield Hills. When I was looking for a home some were very close to Pontiac. Bloomfield Hills school district is good. I am not familiar with Rochester.
What do you consider reasonable and what size place?

Old 05-24-2015, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memymine View Post
Thank you! I will definitely look up options in the area you mentioned. I am planning to visit the area few times in June to look at places as I plan to move in July. I have read good things about schools in Rochester and Bloomfield area, but will check others too.

Super! Make sure you get a hard copy paper map that you can carry with you; examine it carefully, find and highlight those areas I mentioned (there are a few) and get in the car and look them over. It's actually kind of a fun thing to do in your situation. You'll see somewhat different areas from one to another. They vary somewhat, but all are acceptable to a rather "critical me." Hopefully one or more will be especially appealing and suitable.

Thinking up the road, if things go good, and you decide to settle down for good, there are many highly desirable places to live in proximity to that area - places of many types; dense suburban to downright rural - all within shooting distance. Behave at work accordingly. This is SE Michigan's version of Murietta, Lake Elsinore, Tumecula, CA.

Last edited by TwinbrookNine; 05-24-2015 at 12:29 PM..

Old 05-25-2015, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
Just be careful and mapquest when you look in Bloomfield which is different then Bloomfield Hills. When I was looking for a home some were very close to Pontiac. Bloomfield Hills school district is good. I am not familiar with Rochester.
What do you consider reasonable and what size place?
Thanks for the message. I am looking at a place with 2 BR and 1.5+ baths, ideally closer to 1000/mo. My daughter will likely go to daycare center to start with, so I should have time to scope out schools better (hoping it will not require another move).

Old 05-25-2015, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Super! Make sure you get a hard copy paper map that you can carry with you; examine it carefully, find and highlight those areas I mentioned (there are a few) and get in the car and look them over. It's actually kind of a fun thing to do in your situation. You'll see somewhat different areas from one to another. They vary somewhat, but all are acceptable to a rather "critical me." Hopefully one or more will be especially appealing and suitable.

Thinking up the road, if things go good, and you decide to settle down for good, there are many highly desirable places to live in proximity to that area - places of many types; dense suburban to downright rural - all within shooting distance. Behave at work accordingly. This is SE Michigan's version of Murietta, Lake Elsinore, Tumecula, CA.
What exactly do you mean "Behave at work accordingly"? I was of the impression GM Powertrain was a multi-cultural workplace with standard corporate practices.

Appreciate your advice on the scoping of areas. Have been reading up online, and definitely see a range of places within 30-45 min commute distance.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:40 AM

159 posts, read 170,999 times
Hello, My wife is also joining GM powertrain in July in Pontiac. Unfortunately, I've to stay in Indianapolis for a few more months.

Security is our topmost priority and we have kind of narrowed down to the following apartment.
Home

The following is the thread I created for the same reason. You might find something relevant in your hunt. It was useful for us.

Looking for places nearby Pontiac , MI

Last edited by Jomz; 05-26-2015 at 09:52 AM..

Old 05-26-2015, 10:35 AM

6,341 posts, read 14,689,197 times
Quote:
What exactly do you mean "Behave at work accordingly"? I was of the impression GM Powertrain was a multi-cultural workplace with standard corporate practices.

Appreciate your advice on the scoping of areas. Have been reading up online, and definitely see a range of places within 30-45 min commute distance.
I'm unclear as to the meaning of "behave accordingly" as well. Having worked as a contractor at several different GM facilities across Michigan, there wasn't really anything special required about your "behavior".. GM likes to barf employees at the first sign of a downturn, so save your pennies & when you get a better offer, run like hell - but that's no different than any other mega-corp.

Old 05-26-2015, 04:39 PM

Quote:

Oh, I just mean show up to work on time everyday. You know...The basics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit