Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 09:53 PM

1,996 posts, read 3,158,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Read my other posts. I have offered solutions. I think the green space idea has merit. Creating green space would reduce the costs of maintaining the areas while other areas are being concentrated on. The problem is no one has the money to attack all of the problems at once. You need to handle them one at a time.

I do not foresee any future where families want to live in Detroit. I think that needs to be taken off of the table. The school system is too bad. You could however create parks and recreational areas that might draw people into the city. I remember fondly going to rouge park for skating and tobogganing when I was a child in the winter and for archery in the summer. Too bad they closed the winter sports area. I suppose there's Campus Martius but you have to drive well into the city and deal with parking there.

Detroit needs recreation that is accessible from the neighborhoods. Green spaces could provide that. One of the things I love about where I live is that the city planners required a park and a pool be walking distance from every home. While many of the pools have closed over the years the parks are still there. We have basketball courts, tennis courts that convert for inline hockey, a walking track, baseball diamonds, soccer fields, playground equipment for all ages of kids, and a pool at the park nearest my house AND I don't pay 3% city tax to live where I do. Detroit needs to look at what the competition is doing. Residents also need to band together like they did in my area. To keep the local pool open the neighborhood association rents the pool twice a week to keep revenues up. For $10/family you can go for pizza and swim time and get to know your neighbors. Instead of sitting back and letting the city close the pool they took action by renting it enough to keep it open. During my time in the city people just let the libraries and pools close (but they kept the people mover...whoo hooo. ). You have to show the city you use the amenities to keep them around.

I really do think that Detroit's best option is to bulldoze entire sections of the city and convert them to green space. Then concentrate on developing what is left. If that is successful, eventually much of the green space will be developed too but enough has to be preserved to make it attractive to live/work/play in the city.

As far as the schools are concerned, I think merging with the suburban schools may be the only solution. Of course this means the city turns over the tax dollars for infrastructure to the host school system. I don't have clue one as to how to solve the issues in Detroit schools. Shut them down and send the kids elsewhere is my best solution. THAT however will make a lot of people in the suburbs very unhappy. Maybe Detroit should let entire areas that want to become cities/townships on their own break away from the city or merge with the suburbs to reduce the burden.
Thank you for sharing your solutions. I was wrong. I disagree that the public schools can't be saved, but it doesn't look good at all, and even the current GOVERNOR screwed the system up even more.

Just curious, concerning the "house within walking distance to parks", what was the definition of walking distance? For instance, a half mile? Can you share what this community is so that I can Google Map it and see what that looks like? If you look at a map of the city Detroit, the interior of the city is very devoid of greenspace and nature preserves - that is one of the mistakes the city fathers made. We needed a couple more Palmer Parks developed to break up those blocks after blocks of 2 family flats and bungalows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2015, 09:55 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,141,218 times
I think the solution for Detroit is to keep developing Eastern Market, Corktown, Rivertown, Midtown and Downtown with a density of 10,000 people per square mile in these areas. Then raze the entire area between Eastern Market and Grosse Pointe except Indian Village. Put beautiful manicured gardens like you see in Versailles or Vienna for tourists to visit. Then focus on rebuilding the Michigan Avenue corridor from Corktown to Dearborn. Let I-94 be the demarcation line between a world class safe and beautiful city and the rest of Detroit. The rest of Detroit will still have strong neighborhoods: University District, Sherewood Forest, Rosedale Park, Boston-Edison, and the West side. This is the best solution.

Old 12-26-2015, 09:57 PM

2,496 posts, read 3,369,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
This guys midwest1, is just a flamer thrower who is not interested in engaging in logical, civilized debate.

He made two ridiculous claims:

1. White people in the north weren't racist and discriminatory to blacks

2. White and Asian people are victimized by blacks to a staggering degree

-I presented facts that show:

1. White people in the north were very bigoted

2. I presented a logical argument (and I can back it up with data) that blacks victimize blacks more than they do whites and asians

Did he have any response/rebuttal/counterargument? No. Just anger and hatred spewing.This guy sounds alot a less educated as you, and he is supposed to be superior to you.
Went to Harvard and worked for a major Asian central bank for five years. Where in fact I met several central bankers who had been victims of black on Asian crime while getting their PHDs in places like Berkeley, Columbia in Manhattan, and Hyde Park in Chicago...and who had family members in the States who experienced the same.

Most Black Americans have NO IDEA how such incidents of obviously racially motivated violence affects their reputations in this world...and I mean WORLD...not just amongst their fellow Americans. And for what it's worth, I spent some two decades in Asia doing damage control for the majrity of law-abiding decent Black Americans who of course, suffer from the same violent dysfunction I experienced in Chicago. But until such violence is addressed and spoken of honestly...no progress will be forthcoming. In fact, things will most likely get worse.

Dirty secret of black-on-Asian violence is out - SFGate

But go ahead, ignore the elephant in the room.

Old 12-27-2015, 08:52 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,700,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
Went to Harvard and worked for a major Asian central bank for five years. Where in fact I met several central bankers who had been victims of black on Asian crime while getting their PHDs in places like Berkeley, Columbia in Manhattan, and Hyde Park in Chicago...and who had family members in the States who experienced the same.

Most Black Americans have NO IDEA how such incidents of obviously racially motivated violence affects their reputations in this world...and I mean WORLD...not just amongst their fellow Americans. And for what it's worth, I spent some two decades in Asia doing damage control for the majrity of law-abiding decent Black Americans who of course, suffer from the same violent dysfunction I experienced in Chicago. But until such violence is addressed and spoken of honestly...no progress will be forthcoming. In fact, things will most likely get worse.

Dirty secret of black-on-Asian violence is out - SFGate

But go ahead, ignore the elephant in the room.
Yes.....I will ignore the pink elephant that you see in the room. I WENT to the university of Chicago.....but only for a tour. No matriculation or graduation....lol.

Anyway.....enjoy your pink elephants.

Old 12-27-2015, 08:55 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,700,705 times
I think people are making Detroit's comeback way to complicated. It will come back in the same way it declined....one person, one business on investment at a time. It did not decline overnight and it will not recover overnight. All Detroit needs to do is believe in itself. I think that it is on the right track except for the recovery not being felt proportionately in regards to race. However, then again, Detroit's decline was primarily due to the white exodus so I guess that it is fitting that the recovery be led by the white demographic.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 12-27-2015 at 09:10 AM..

Old 12-27-2015, 09:55 AM

3,412 posts, read 5,121,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I think people are making Detroit's comeback way to complicated. It will come back in the same way it declined....one person, one business on investment at a time. It did not decline overnight and it will not recover overnight. All Detroit needs to do is believe in itself. I think that it is on the right track except for the recovery not being felt proportionately in regards to race. However, then again, Detroit's decline was primarily due to the white exodus so I guess that it is fitting that the recovery be led by the white demographic.
Agreed (except for the part about White demographics leading the recovery. Black entrepreneurs should be just as much a part of the recovery as White ones). But for that to happen, the city needs to purge itself of corruption, and start making it easier for urban pioneer entrepreneurs to buy property and open businesses. The city needs a big sign that says "we're open for business".

Old 12-27-2015, 10:08 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,224,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Agreed (except for the part about White demographics leading the recovery. Black entrepreneurs should be just as much a part of the recovery as White ones). But for that to happen, the city needs to purge itself of corruption, and start making it easier for urban pioneer entrepreneurs to buy property and open businesses. The city needs a big sign that says "we're open for business".
The city has been purging itself of corruption since Mayor Duggan was elected. It will be quite a task to be completely free from corruption, as it was everywhere in city business, but I have great faith in the mayor and even council to clean things up.

Old 12-27-2015, 10:49 AM

3,412 posts, read 5,121,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
The city has been purging itself of corruption since Mayor Duggan was elected. It will be quite a task to be completely free from corruption, as it was everywhere in city business, but I have great faith in the mayor and even council to clean things up.
That's good to hear! That's the first step to a comeback.

Old 12-27-2015, 11:33 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,224,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
That's good to hear! That's the first step to a comeback.
Yes it is! Hopefully Detroiters will keep voting in the right people to govern the city, and not let corruption sneak back in.

Old 12-27-2015, 12:13 PM

169 posts, read 185,219 times
Several people have mentioned the terrible Detroit schools and their solutions to making them better. The schools aren't the problem. The culture of the city residents and many of the kids that go to those schools are the problem. Until and unless the culture changes, nothing will change. You can have the best teachers, facilities, and programs this country has to offer. But none of those things matter if you have classrooms full of kids who are more interested in causing trouble than learning. And if there's no recourse to deal with a large amount of disruptive, problem kids, the schools will continue to be among the worst in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit