Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 12:33 PM

3 posts, read 17,157 times

Advertisements

Hello, My family is looking to relocate to Detroit from Washington state. We are a interracial couple ( I am white and husband is black). We have a mixed child and one on the way. We are looking in the suburbs of Detroit. Livonia, Northville, Commerce etc... Recently we made a visit there. To my surprise I noticed while walking through the malls, there were no mixed couples. Not only did I notice that but people seemed to be surprised to see us. I have heard that Detroit is still a highly segregated city but I did not expect the "looks" we got from other races. I am concerned for my children to be raised in such place were they will struggle to fit in. Washington is very excepting to interracial couples. If any one can help me out in any way about this subject please do......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2007, 02:17 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,452,595 times
Move to Ann Arbor - simple as that.

Old 10-20-2007, 10:11 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,480,739 times
The only advice i can offer is Windsor, Ontario (which i like as a city..) which is right across the border. The two cities are day and night. It's more commonplace to see many different race-couples in one area (Windsor) than most of Metro-Detroit.

Old 10-21-2007, 02:12 PM

2 posts, read 20,943 times
I will speak from MY experiences...I am in an interracial relationship (black/white) and have seven children.

I am speaking only of Wayne and Washtenaw Counties, because those are the areas I know.

Ann Arbor/Ypsi area is great for diversity. College towns, more liberal, anything goes really. I lived in Ann Arbor for 4 years and Ypsi for 2. Ann Arbor (A2) can be expensive, driving the downtown area was a pain to me, we rode the bus a lot. Ypsi is less expensive, less desirable to some, but I liked it. Thinking of moving back that way unless I can get out of the state all together!!! A2 schools are better than Ypsi.

I have lived in Livonia, grew up there, my grandmother still lives there and I would NOT live there with my children.

Ditto to Northville.

We have lived in the city of Detroit, westside, for a few years too. I might be in the minority, but I loved living in the city, had great neighbors, and was never a victim of crime. The schools leave a LOT to be desired though.

Right now we live in Wayne (city of)....I HATE it. Its fairly diverse on the southside (hahah..its six square miles...like there is a south "side"), which is considered by some white people to be the "bad" side. LOL. I just wouldn't recommend it here.

Around here there is also Canton (no), Inkster (no), Taylor (no), Westland (no), Dearborn (no)....really I'm not the one to answer this I guess, I want out of Michigan LOL.

Old 10-22-2007, 04:02 PM

35 posts, read 110,353 times
Your best bet is Ann Arbor, end of story. Definitely the most liberal and accepting city in SE Michigan. Ypsilanti and possibly Southfield or Lathrup Village are good choices as well.

A definite no no NO to Livonia and Northville! Those would be two of the last areas I'd look at.

Old 10-23-2007, 08:49 AM

106 posts, read 414,437 times
How about Farmington Hills? The east side near Southfield is becoming predominantly black. I'm sure you'll be fine there. The schools are good and housing is cheaper than western FH since you are close to Southfield.

Old 10-25-2007, 08:47 AM

144 posts, read 546,704 times
One of my foster children, who is white, is married to an African American man and they have 3 children. They are currently living in Southgate (a downriver community). She has never complained to me that people treat them differently. The kids are happy and the 2 that are school age have a lot of friends.

Southgate and Wyandotte have a lot of mixed families, you might try looking there. The schools are good (I grew up in Southgate) and the area has affordable homes.

Old 10-25-2007, 03:15 PM

41 posts, read 183,538 times
Wink Anywhere But Livonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBAWRIGHT View Post
Hello, My family is looking to relocate to Detroit from Washington state. We are a interracial couple ( I am white and husband is black). We have a mixed child and one on the way. We are looking in the suburbs of Detroit. Livonia, Northville, Commerce etc... Recently we made a visit there. To my surprise I noticed while walking through the malls, there were no mixed couples. Not only did I notice that but people seemed to be surprised to see us. I have heard that Detroit is still a highly segregated city but I did not expect the "looks" we got from other races. I am concerned for my children to be raised in such place were they will struggle to fit in. Washington is very excepting to interracial couples. If any one can help me out in any way about this subject please do......
Please don't look At livonia. There have been numerous incidents against blacks there, and its not getting any better. I try to avoid that place as much as possible. Its the Whitiest city in the country. Why don't you look at The Villages in Detroit, or Indian Village on East Jefferson a very very beautiful and Historic area.

Old 11-23-2007, 11:08 AM

5 posts, read 31,085 times
Southfield, Lathrup Village and Royal Oak are all diverse and homes are available for most income levels the crime levels are low and there is no local income tax like there is in Detroit.

Old 11-24-2007, 06:56 PM

30 posts, read 133,389 times
If you are still looking...You shouldn't have a problem in southern Oakland County (Southfield, LV, Oak Park, Royal Oak, etc.) Farmington Hills should be fine too. Taylor and Southgate in Wayne County seem to be very diverse. I agree that Livonia is probably not the best place. Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit