Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2012, 02:50 PM

20 posts, read 52,215 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I realize that someone else asked this same type of question recently, but reading through the responses I found that not many were close in age to me so I figured I'd make a post of my own. (However, I do have friends of all ages! Just not sure if those who are much older/younger than me in this forum would have the same interests or not).

I just moved from South Florida to Detroit in the Downtown area to work for an advertising company for GM. I literally know no one except for my coworkers and would really like to make some girlfriends who I can do things like go to Happy Hour with, or go to a movie with, or have a dinner party with if we have a group of friends. Everywhere I've lived in my life, I've always had a solid group of girlfriends who I can gossip with and do fun girl things with, but I don't know where in the world to meet anyone like this here in Detroit.

I have tried Meetup.com and have not been able to find any groups that interest me yet, but I keep checking. I am also looking into different leadership and networking groups in the area as well. I am not too keen on bar hopping by myself, so I have not ventured out to do anything like that to meet people.

I figure it can't hurt to put it out into the universe that I am looking for friends and see what happens.

About me: I'm 26 years old, in a long-term relationship (he lives close by in Toledo) but not yet married/engaged and have no kids - except for my two doggie children, Daisy and Dolly . I enjoy traveling + weekend trips, boating, hiking/anything outdoors, shopping, movies/TV, reading books/magazines, photography, and cooking - especially entertaining with friends.

Anyone out there who is similar in age and interests and looking for a friend??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 06:34 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,272,236 times
Here are a few places I'd recommend meeting other 20 something professionals downtown/interested in hanging out.

1) Detroit Synergy - DetroitSynergy » Community Calendar - Group focusing on events downtown, not as active as it used to be, but a good way to meet people who aren't "weird" - Meetup style =)

2) Detroit Soup - About : * = Held once a month - very communal style - draws up to 100 people - the next one is this coming sunday - you get to mingle with other people and still support a local cause.

3) After 5 Detroit - www.after5detroit.com - There is typically an event going on every day of the month on the calendar page from speaker series, happy hours, networking to more.

4) Religious groups (e.g. churches) are also a good way to meet people. Woodside Bible Church in Troy has a Sunday night service (Lighthouse) for young adults/professionals 18-30 that typically gets 100-200 folks. A good way to make inroads.

5) Sports groups - Depending on how active you are - there's quite a few that do kickball on Belle Isle, soccer, softball etc.

Good luck!

Old 07-03-2012, 10:41 AM

20 posts, read 52,215 times
@belleislerunner - thank you, thank you, thank YOU! This is so helpful. I'll be sure to check all of these out. Really wonderful suggestions. I appreciate your help!

Old 07-05-2012, 09:38 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times
Young uns I know who have attended after 5 detroit evens have found it to be a great way to meet people.

Old 04-11-2018, 10:19 AM

1 posts, read 1,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbear4444 View Post
Hi all,

I realize that someone else asked this same type of question recently, but reading through the responses I found that not many were close in age to me so I figured I'd make a post of my own. (However, I do have friends of all ages! Just not sure if those who are much older/younger than me in this forum would have the same interests or not).

I just moved from South Florida to Detroit in the Downtown area to work for an advertising company for GM. I literally know no one except for my coworkers and would really like to make some girlfriends who I can do things like go to Happy Hour with, or go to a movie with, or have a dinner party with if we have a group of friends. Everywhere I've lived in my life, I've always had a solid group of girlfriends who I can gossip with and do fun girl things with, but I don't know where in the world to meet anyone like this here in Detroit.

I have tried Meetup.com and have not been able to find any groups that interest me yet, but I keep checking. I am also looking into different leadership and networking groups in the area as well. I am not too keen on bar hopping by myself, so I have not ventured out to do anything like that to meet people.

I figure it can't hurt to put it out into the universe that I am looking for friends and see what happens.

About me: I'm 26 years old, in a long-term relationship (he lives close by in Toledo) but not yet married/engaged and have no kids - except for my two doggie children, Daisy and Dolly . I enjoy traveling + weekend trips, boating, hiking/anything outdoors, shopping, movies/TV, reading books/magazines, photography, and cooking - especially entertaining with friends.

Anyone out there who is similar in age and interests and looking for a friend??
Hi
Heve you found new friends?
I am now in your past situation. I am Italian and with my husband are in Detroit area where will stay for 1 year maybe two. I would like to know new people also to improve my oral English but really not is simple.
I saw the suggestion of Belleislerunner but Why it is necessary a website to meet new people? I really don't understand it... today all are too busy....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
View detailed profiles of: