Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2020, 09:10 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,457,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
the banner title, looks like Detrol. LOL.
No wonder Detroit is Destroyed! Haha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2020, 10:41 PM

3,006 posts, read 1,494,787 times
That depends on which comeback you want. I expect the suburban population will reurbanize for a while to reduce car use, then move out to farms for work. Detroit may reach a stable population in the range of 100,000-200,000, like it had before cars.

When depends on the cost of driving, the fuel, insurance, car repairs, and roads.

Last edited by Nattering Heights; 08-27-2020 at 10:51 PM..

Old 08-31-2020, 06:02 PM

315 posts, read 116,463 times
It seems like half the city is basically semi-rural now. That's not so bad. Fascinating to see it go back to nature in so many areas.

Old 09-02-2020, 07:03 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,839,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruityfred11 View Post
It seems like half the city is basically semi-rural now. That's not so bad. Fascinating to see it go back to nature in so many areas.
There are a few areas that are like this. It is still one of the largest cities in the USA. (25 out of 317 over 100K population).

Del Rey - one of the major empty areas is about to become one of hte largest ports of entry, so it will change dramatically.

Other empty areas are primarily in pockets. 4-5 blocks of empty surrounded by either nice areas or dilapidated but still occupied neighborhoods.

Old 09-02-2020, 11:42 AM

240 posts, read 130,153 times
No I don't see it, it's so bad.

Old 09-03-2020, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Well done View Post
I. Excuse me but I am sure I have missed some other honorable mention ethnicities I am sure. Ah yes, the Italians. Canadians. Poles.
You forgot Danes and Swedes - we are plentiful here, we did not all continue northwest and become cheese-heads.

Also Koreans. A large Korean population here as well.

Old 09-03-2020, 07:31 AM

Quote:
I. Excuse me but I am sure I have missed some other honorable mention ethnicities I am sure. Ah yes, the Italians. Canadians. Poles.
You forgot Danes and Swedes - we are plentiful here, we did not all continue northwest and become cheese-heads.

Also Koreans. A large Korean population here as well.

Old 09-03-2020, 07:39 AM

Quote:
I
Northerners spoke English with different inflections also. Here are two pronunciations of words in which I noticed a slight differentiation. They even talk like this on the radio over the air, I noticed.
Saahcks equaled, Socks, here.
I think the influence is mostly a combination of Scandinavian and French. very much like Canada and Minnesota. Listen of ooots and aboots. Not as prevalent as in Canada but they pop ooot often. Other things: We stick an s on the end of everything. "I work at Fords" " I bought this at Kmarts (or Meijers, or Wallmarts)." We tend to speak fast and clip words together 'Oh not you di-unt . "You sh-unt do that." Also some words tend to be regional "Pop, Freeway, Party Story Doorwall" Lots of French and Indian city and street names that few people from elsewhere can pronounce as well.

Old 09-06-2020, 11:34 AM

216 posts, read 132,475 times
Maybe Condjensens. I will consider your post for a time concerning language inflections. I was married to a girl from Minnesota for ten years and she spoke with a dialect different from the one spoken here in the Detroit area. Phone was pronounced Foon by her.
She laughed out loud when I- a southerner- said Hothouse in place of -Green house.. Many times, she worked as a nurse, her coworkers thought she was a Michigan, Yooper.
I worked with a Michigan yooper when I first moved here and I laughed out loud many times over his pronunciation of English. It was a lot of fun listening and he was good natured about it all.
I have noticed the word Gums, gums asin the human mouth holding the teeth in, pronounced as Gooms. I laughed out loud at that one too.
When they announced that they had sore gooms.
I replied. You have Sore what?
Yes, sure , when I first heard Soda water called POP around here, what with me being from the south, I was taken aback. POP? Everything in the plural- Kmarts? I work at Fords etc. What in the heck is going on with English around these parts? I surely was in culture shock alright.
I am bilingual myself and can read French with perfect inflection but do not mostly know what I am reading
only a little- as French is so dissimilar to Spanish. Italian is far closer to Spanish and I have found that I can communicate with Italian people and have even given street directions to lost, Italian visitors. However
I do not know any Scandinavian dialects so cannot know the inflections of these languages have upon English except for what I have heard spoken in movies.
I know that people from the east Coast leave "R's" out of words- All of the time. At other times these lost "R's" end up in other words where they do not belong, in words like "Warshington."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I think the influence is mostly a combination of Scandinavian and French. very much like Canada and Minnesota. Listen of ooots and aboots. Not as prevalent as in Canada but they pop ooot often. Other things: We stick an s on the end of everything. "I work at Fords" " I bought this at Kmarts (or Meijers, or Wallmarts)." We tend to speak fast and clip words together 'Oh not you di-unt . "You sh-unt do that." Also some words tend to be regional "Pop, Freeway, Party Story Doorwall" Lots of French and Indian city and street names that few people from elsewhere can pronounce as well.

Old 09-06-2020, 02:33 PM

2,690 posts, read 1,614,894 times
Well to be fair it used to be "Meijer's thrifty acres".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit