Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2021, 05:44 AM

151 posts, read 299,379 times

Advertisements

We are in our mid to late 60’s. In the past eight years we have lived in: Los Angeles, Seattle, Tucson, Albuquerque, Las Vegas and Bellingham. I have skills as a tax preparer. I don’t need a job. Wherever I live, there is my business. I earn around $45k a year. I live and care for my ex-wife, who is in her 60’s and has a disability and no income. My budget to buy is around $250k. I have some skills in remodeling and I might be able to work in an opportunity zone.

I have skills and talents as a playwright and visual artist which I have been developing for over 30 years part time. I’m currently living in Seattle, where the windows of buildings have been broken by some minor rioting. I am not frightened by an urban environment. But, I don’t want to live in a demilitarized zone. After living in so many cities during the quarantine, I can say: “Wherever you go, there you are,” is not true for me. I change in each new locale. I dont mind staying inside and it looks like the weather will make this a necessity.

In these times, I don’t expect to see a lot of theater districts. But, which districts in Detroit are associated with the arts-- more important is where do the creative folks congregate in Detroit (before Covid)? I can flourish in any academic environment. I can live in one part of the city and have a studio in another part. I am excited about owning a small place and being able to have books out of boxes.

Thanks in advance for any direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2021, 12:23 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,311,760 times
Right off the top of my head I would think that Midtown and Downtown (area bordered roughly by the Lodge Freeway, Edsel Ford Freeway, Chrysler Freeway, and the Detroit River) would be a gathering place for creative and artistic people, since that area contains the Detroit Institute of Arts, the Museum of Contemporary Art, The Detroit Opera House, Wayne State University, and the Fox Theatre, to name a few. There are also some galleries and historic nightclubs in this area. Cliff Bell's comes to mind, a Depression era jazz club still offering live jazz in a gorgeous Art Deco setting.

If you've been hearing about a renaissance in Detroit in recent years, much of it is taking place in Midtown and downtown. It is actually very nice now. One section of Woodward Ave. actually reminds me a bit of a smaller, less splashy version of the Magnificent Mile in Chicago or even Fifth Ave. in NYC.

Old 02-18-2021, 01:02 PM

Thank you.

I think renting short term will be a good call. I will check out Mid town and downtown in the areas you suggest

Old 02-19-2021, 05:10 AM

Im getting an If you build message.

What is an If you build , they will come message? This is a postmodern urban version of The Field of Dreams
• The older I get the more I realize I cannot begin grand projects.
• There is always the fear: I wont finish it.
• This problem is easily solved by : So what?
• Yesterday, I looked at the desolation of Detroit.
• I have always enjoyed the myth of the Phoenix which Rises from the Ashes
• It is staggering how ****ed up this place looks!
• I dont know about my timing, but I don't mind a little squalor or hard work.
• Over the years I have studied many creative type biographies and these types tend to be irrational, but understand their own trajectory.
• If I understand my dream, I am supposed to relocate to post apocalyptic Detroit and start a non profit theater organization in an opportunity zone.
• I have the skills to create the entity. But I don't know **** about forming a theater company--in Detroit!!

Old 02-19-2021, 07:51 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
If you want professional theater, Mid-town or Downtown Detroit is a great option for you. I have seen Detroit websites proclaiming Detroit has the highest number of theaters or theater seats (or performance venues) anywhere east of the Mississippi except for Broadway. Not sure what the statistic is or whether it is technically true, the fact is Detroit has a ton of theaters and performance venues. Both midtown and downtown are pretty expensive. You might be able to find a small condo for $250,000, I am not sure.

If you are looking for amature theater, the ones I know of are in Dearborn, Farmington, Trenton, and north Rosedale Park (Detroit). Ann arbor has one too, but it is super competitive and similar to professional. I imagine Ypsilanti might have one as well, but I have never heard about it. Grosse Ile is trying to get theirs re-started.

There is a lower level professional theater in Chelsea as well (Purple Rose theater). Chelsea is a beautiful place to live, but i would be amazed if there is anything there for $250,000. Maybe ont he outskirts of town or a small fixer.

I think Plymouth used to have a community theater, I am not sure whether they still do. if they have one, they do not do a good job advertising. Plymouth is a really cute little city if you live in walking distance to downtown. Pricy for your budget though.

Even in some of the more high end communities, you will often find a home or two that is in your budget. You just have to search some and you may need to be able to accept some unpleasantries. I know of a few homes in our community in that price rage but they are next door to an apartment complex, the sewer plant, or near a small airport. One of them does not have electricity (I think it is electricity that it does not have, might be running water, but I doubt they would allow it to be occupied without water). If less desirable locations are acceptable to you, that may enable you to get into a nicer location than your budget might appear to allow.

Old 02-19-2021, 08:21 AM

Thank you so much for your information rich reply.

The non profit is starting to come into focus.

I see the non profit accessing professional talent and sources, but I see this as a grass roots type community organization.

I have advanced degrees in Education, the Fine Arts and Philosophy -Teaching Critical Thinking.
Im thinking more about a non profit organization which advances education in the arts for some of the harder hit areas of Detroit.
I could always teach a high school level critical thinking (logic)
Since I am a certified public accountant, I have the skills to bring the non profit into existence.
The rest is going to be an adventure.

I have helped create one successful non profit in Los Angeles called the Ascending lights organization.

My living requirements are minimal. I just need clean and relatively safe, not for me, but my ex wife lives with me.

Old 02-20-2021, 04:29 PM

2,690 posts, read 1,613,883 times
There are many small amateur theatres in Detroit. Here's some links.
https://visitdetroit.com/theater-in-detroit/
Detroit Public Theatre
https://detroit.cbslocal.com/top-lis...rs-in-detroit/
Detroit Repertory Theatre
https://www.experiencedetroit.com/theatres.htm
https://www.michigan.org/performing-...rts%2FTheaters

And there's so many more...just google it.

Why Detroit? I'm interested in what you thought of Tucson and ABQ, as I'm very interested in moving to the desert SW.

Since you have a job that you are confident you can meet your financial needs, I would consider joining one or more of the Detroit small theatres to get to know people. You can't start a theatre until you're already part of something, right? Plus getting involved quickly after moving here in a theatre company that already exists would take the heat off you to move to a new location and without knowing anyone, do a start up, especially until everyone is vaccinated.

Old 02-22-2021, 09:03 AM

1,996 posts, read 3,161,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oomph View Post
Thank you so much for your information rich reply.

The non profit is starting to come into focus.

I see the non profit accessing professional talent and sources, but I see this as a grass roots type community organization.

I have advanced degrees in Education, the Fine Arts and Philosophy -Teaching Critical Thinking.
Im thinking more about a non profit organization which advances education in the arts for some of the harder hit areas of Detroit.
I could always teach a high school level critical thinking (logic)
Since I am a certified public accountant, I have the skills to bring the non profit into existence.
The rest is going to be an adventure.

I have helped create one successful non profit in Los Angeles called the Ascending lights organization.

My living requirements are minimal. I just need clean and relatively safe, not for me, but my ex wife lives with me.
I don't know if Detroit is for you. You have to be ready for cold weather in late fall/winter/early spring. You and your spouse might not be up for that

Also, many people are turned off by the lack of sunshine during the winter; it is very cloudy/dreary during late fall/winter/early spring.

Detroit has the most violent crime in the country per capita. I think you would be fine in inner ring suburbs like Dearborn Heights or Allen Park or Saint Clair Shores.

I absolutely love your passion for the arts and you would be welcome with open arms for jumpstarting a new performing arts initiative/organization in this city. Some other existing theatre organizations are:
Shakespeare in Detroit: https://www.shakespeareindetroit.com/
Mosaic Youth Theater - https://mosaicdetroit.org/
Matrix Theatre - https://www.matrixtheatre.org/

Detroit does not have a ballet company.

Bring it on, but just be aware of the pitfalls of Detroit/Midwest region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit