Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 08:30 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,662,572 times

Advertisements

New Orleans is another great example, well maybe not recently. I mean lately (around katrina) it got its reputation as a murder capital but for those of us a little older, new orleans never had a particularly nasty reputation. But muggings are thing of new orleans because the poor and rich rub shoulders and those rich/middle class get wasted and stumble around new orleans and get robbed. That's just reality, money only belongs to those who want it more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 12:33 PM

1,361 posts, read 3,715,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
kinda funny, over in the florida forum i was defending miami from being called a ghetto when someone said they wished miami were another san francisco. The person was completely ignorant about san francisco and didn't realize that crime is pretty common there despite what the media says.

one thing i learned is that the media drives these perceptions more than anything. And perception becomes reality. In my opinion, crime in san francisco is HARDER to avoid than detroit. Hear me out.

San Francisco is much more of a mixed class city. You have your poor areas and your super rich areas crammed in a tight area. Then you have the great pt that allows the poor to come from neighboring areas like oakland to hang out, work etc. When you cram the needy next to a bunch of people carrying low hanging fruit, you get a predator/prey mentality where the poor learn to peter pan the rich.

Detroit is mostly poor with some middle class neighborhoods. The rich suburbs avoid detroit and the foot traffic in downtown is very isolated. the whites who come down, know where they want to go, drive there and park there. They don't walk around unless they're in groups or there is an event downtown. because of less opportunities, the poor in detroit never learned to rely on sticking up the rich/middle class of detroit. I never hear from whites visiting detroit about them being mugged. The worst i hear is my car was broken into (because they were dumb and left valuables in sight) or some bum asked them for money and gave them a funny stare.

I'm not saying muggings don't happen in detroit, but they feel to me much more rare than other cities. Especially san francisco. Most of the crime in detroit is between people who know each other and have personal grievances. You ripped me, you ****ed my girl, you snitched, that kind of thing.

Which makes crime in detroit very avoidable even when it's happening all around you. It may as well be in some other world, if those are not your circle of friends.
It is aggravating telling people on the other side of the country that you are from the hood in San Francisco because many of those people refuse to believe SF has any hoods. But like Ice Cube said in Boyz 'N The Hood the media "don't know, don't show and don't care about what goes on in the hood". This couldn't be truer of the hoods in SF.

What is ironic is that San Francisco, as a whole, has a much lower quality of life for Blacks than Detroit. Housing stock for the average Black San Francisco resident is quasi-third world. Unlike Detroit, many Black SF natives aren't living in sizable single family homes once occupied by upper middle class White auto workers. Half of Blacks in SF live in public housing and SF has some of the worst public housing in America. Unlike NYC, SF's project buildings are not tough sturdy buildings but they are rotten and dilapidated and were specifically built to only temporarily house poor Black people almost one hundred years ago. You wouldn't even know SF has any Black folks at all unless you stumbled into one of the remote ghetto areas of SF like Hunter's Point, Sunnydale or where I'm from in Lakeview.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/L...ct-3228433.php

SF's crime problem is very much its own and is not because its next door to Oakland. This is a popular misconception about San Francisco since its rough areas aren't publicized. Where I used to live in San Francisco was the hood-hood because of the conditions and the people that lived there and wasn't in any way caused by commuters from Oakland.

http://www.sfgate.com/crime/article/...an-2633774.php

You also proved an excellent point in your post that disenfranchised people in the ghetto mostly victimize each other and don't rob or kill rich often lighter skinned people who live in richer city neighborhoods or visit from the 'burbs. As evidenced by the link in my first post in this thread, SF's murder rate for Blacks is higher than Detroit, New Orleans and pretty much every big city in America. Why? Because unlike Detroit, SF is not a hub of Black owned business. In SF, there are no upper middle class Blacks, period. Even in Oakland, there are a lot of upper middle class and wealthy Blacks who live in the affluent hills. In chocolate cities like Detroit, DC and Baltimore, you have thousands of upper middle class Blacks who help govern the city. In SF, Blacks are a peripheral minority who are completely shut off from the rest of the city. This is the reason why San Francisco has lost its Black population faster than any big city in the nation.

A History of Bayview-Hunters Point, Part 2: Crime, Contamination, and Crisis | 21st Century Urban Solutions

http://sfbayview.com/2011/black-popu...san-francisco/

Last edited by goldenchild08; 07-10-2012 at 01:02 PM..

Old 07-10-2012, 08:16 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,887,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild08 View Post
It is aggravating telling people on the other side of the country that you are from the hood in San Francisco because many of those people refuse to believe SF has any hoods. But like Ice Cube said in Boyz 'N The Hood the media "don't know, don't show and don't care about what goes on in the hood". This couldn't be truer of the hoods in SF.

What is ironic is that San Francisco, as a whole, has a much lower quality of life for Blacks than Detroit. Housing stock for the average Black San Francisco resident is quasi-third world. Unlike Detroit, many Black SF natives aren't living in sizable single family homes once occupied by upper middle class White auto workers. Half of Blacks in SF live in public housing and SF has some of the worst public housing in America. Unlike NYC, SF's project buildings are not tough sturdy buildings but they are rotten and dilapidated and were specifically built to only temporarily house poor Black people almost one hundred years ago. You wouldn't even know SF has any Black folks at all unless you stumbled into one of the remote ghetto areas of SF like Hunter's Point, Sunnydale or where I'm from in Lakeview.

Life at the bottom: S.F.'s Sunnydale project - SFGate

SF's crime problem is very much its own and is not because its next door to Oakland. This is a popular misconception about San Francisco since its rough areas aren't publicized. Where I used to live in San Francisco was the hood-hood because of the conditions and the people that lived there and wasn't in any way caused by commuters from Oakland.

OCEAN VIEW / Neighborhood reclaims its mean streets - SFGate

You also proved an excellent point in your post that disenfranchised people in the ghetto mostly victimize each other and don't rob or kill rich often lighter skinned people who live in richer city neighborhoods or visit from the 'burbs. As evidenced by the link in my first post in this thread, SF's murder rate for Blacks is higher than Detroit, New Orleans and pretty much every big city in America. Why? Because unlike Detroit, SF is not a hub of Black owned business. In SF, there are no upper middle class Blacks, period. Even in Oakland, there are a lot of upper middle class and wealthy Blacks who live in the affluent hills. In chocolate cities like Detroit, DC and Baltimore, you have thousands of upper middle class Blacks who help govern the city. In SF, Blacks are a peripheral minority who are completely shut off from the rest of the city. This is the reason why San Francisco has lost its Black population faster than any big city in the nation.

A History of Bayview-Hunters Point, Part 2: Crime, Contamination, and Crisis | 21st Century Urban Solutions

Black population drops to 3.9% in San Francisco | San Francisco Bay View
These are very interesting facts about SF. I noticed in one of the links you provided it said the city services in the less affluent neighborhoods are not all that great either.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:40 PM

40 posts, read 217,252 times
I can say the same for major cities. The crime rate only seems high because of population. There are small suburbs and towns that have even worst crime. The city I live outside of is Atlanta and there is a lot of crime in Atlanta that is mostly theft related, but that hasn't stopped me from going there. Even other cities like Miami and New Orleans that are known for high crime, I wouldn't have a problem going as long as I stay out of the bad areas. So basically, most of the city crime is worse in the rough parts and sadly, it gets placed as the "whole city" which scares people away from wanting to go or living there. As far as Detroit, I have no interest in going there only because I have no reason to...nothing to do with crime. As far as living in the city, I would feel safe because there is a lot of electronic security doors and what not to keep trespassers out compared to the suburban apartments which only have the gate code that anyone can just slip past when it gets opened.

Old 07-12-2012, 03:42 PM

1,361 posts, read 3,715,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinStrong313 View Post
These are very interesting facts about SF. I noticed in one of the links you provided it said the city services in the less affluent neighborhoods are not all that great either.
The problem with San Francisco is that it is a prepackaged big dreamer city. Much like any city, visiting and living there is very, very different. However, with big dreamer cities like SF, NYC and LA, people fall in love with the unique, world-renowned scenery, diversity, culture and vibrancy of the cities. Millions of people worldwide fantasize about living in SF, NYC and LA. But that is exactly what it is, a fantasy. Living day in day out in San Francisco is actually tough and unrelenting. Most people living good in SF are people who are rich enough not to work because San Francisco is another industrial-less American city just like Detroit. Like any big city, there are crazy people, robbers and thieves and gang bangers everywhere in SF and the streets are far from safe in many, many areas. After awhile, that incredibly beautiful scenery is nothing more than the background to another urban environment. Visitors who leave their heart in SF or NYC do not realize that massive swaths of these picture-perfect cities are jam-packed with the same seething desperate permanent underclass of largely unemployed disenfranchised second class citizens that exist in ghetto cities. The larger proportion of wealthy and upper middle class people in SF is what brings the averaged crime rate down for the entire city. There are tons of bad neighborhoods in SF. Pretty much the entire southern half of SF is somewhere you shouldn't walk the streets if you are an out-of-towner. However, tourists are too busy being amateur photographers in Chinatown, the Golden Gate Bridge and Fisherman's Wharf than take an hour detour and accidently hit the exact bus route to get to one of SF's terrible neighborhoods in the southern part of the city. The difference between Detroit and cities like SF, NYC and LA is that there is no false fantasy that is built around the personality of Detroit due to its natural setting and overall appearance. Ultimately, there are rich and poor, good people and bad people, workers and welfare recipients, criminals, crazy people and addicts in every big city.

Last edited by goldenchild08; 07-12-2012 at 03:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit