Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 10:30 PM

143 posts, read 327,515 times

Advertisements

There are a lot of threads devoted to ways to fix Detroit. This article from yesterday's Detroit News highlights the real problem the city faces better than anything I have seen on this site.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090301/OPINION03/9030103
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 08:15 AM

57 posts, read 244,837 times
Here's the link (yours dropped the last "08" off). And, yes, it's a facinating read.
Elect a crazy council, get crazy results | detnews.com | The Detroit News

Old 03-02-2009, 03:01 PM

93,197 posts, read 123,819,554 times
That is very unfortunate and is more of what I've been saying is a part of the problem in the area. There is a lack of trust still in the Detroit area and I think it's not going to change unless the city gets the right people in office. I hope that Dave Bing wins, presonally. I believe he would be fair and willing to work with people that want to invest in the city, like he has.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:16 PM

Location: D-town (technically a suburb, cause "and the" said so)
90 posts, read 207,141 times
Unbelievable. How and why this type of racism is still allowed to continue boggles my mind. I can't believe people are so scared to stand up to this garbage. Like the article said, if the tables were turned, Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, and a host of others would be on the next plane to Livonia. This doesn't just hurt white people by the way. Self respecting, hard working, african americans are adversly affected by this as well. I really hope Detroit does itself a favor and gets rid of these racist losers.

Old 03-03-2009, 03:09 AM

White guilt is a powerful thing.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:29 AM

530 posts, read 1,551,044 times
Accept it and move on.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:18 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,701,993 times
I think the author of the article missed the evolution. No one told or forced whites to leave the city of Detroit. The so called “black nationalism” on display would not be possible if white flight was not on display since the 1950’s (and "white supremacy" was not on display since the 1600's). There used to be 1.8 million whites living in the City of Detroit proper. You made your choice to leave....you don't get to vote now. Whites left the city for the suburbs and jobs and opportunities followed…..regardless of the reason…..both left. So what did that create……it created a city that is nearly 90% black and a city and people that are insecure as a result of 300 years of past white behavior which always seemed to allocate opportunity to the benefit of whites. That is how human nature works. Treating people wrong creates fears and insecurities whether they are supported by current realities or not. It might look like a circus to the author but what simply was on display is a city and a people, in bad shape, attempting to protect what it is that they have that is of value. Does the author realize that black unemployment is twice that of whites? Does the author realize that black poverty rates are 3 times that of whites? Does the author realize that black wealth is 10 times less than whites? In that context, does it not make sense that a predominantly black city is going to be fearful that the current Cobo plan would simply exacerbate those skews, with whites gaining the most……YET AGAIN? It’s not “Even Steven” ….so to speak. Those statements being made would be absurd and racist ONLY if there were NOT this HUGE socioeconomic gap between the standard of living of whites and blacks in America and Detroit. If that were the case (socioeconomic racial equality), I would be the first to agree with the author of this article. However, it is hardly the case that black and white socioeconomic equality exists in America…and certainly not in Metro Detroit. It’s simply asinine to draw parallels from “what if the same thing happened in Livonia”. The last time I checked the city of Livonia demographics does not consist of 90% white folks who are the descendants of enslaved whites historically oppressed and dominated by black society whose rates of unemployment and poverty are considerably higher than that of Blacks. Then, and only then, could an intelligent person make such a parallel. Obviously we know that Livonia has no such demographics.

No….this is NOT the problem of Detroit.....the problem is rooted in the cities (and the nations) evolution....which created the current fiasco.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 03-03-2009 at 10:47 AM..

Old 03-03-2009, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I think the author of the article missed the evolution. No one told or forced whites to leave the city of Detroit. The so called “black nationalism” on display would not be possible if white flight was not on display since the 1950’s (and "white supremacy" was not on display since the 1600's). There used to be 1.8 million whites living in the City of Detroit proper. You made your choice to leave....you don't get to vote now. Whites left the city for the suburbs and jobs and opportunities followed…..regardless of the reason…..both left. So what did that create……it created a city that is nearly 90% black and a city and people that are insecure as a result of 300 years of past white behavior which always seemed to allocate opportunity to the benefit of whites. That is how human nature works. Treating people wrong creates fears and insecurities whether they are supported by current realities or not. It might look like a circus to the author but what simply was on display is a city and a people, in bad shape, attempting to protect what it is that they have that is of value. Does the author realize that black unemployment is twice that of whites? Does the author realize that black poverty rates are 3 times that of whites? Does the author realize that black wealth is 10 times less than whites? In that context, does it not make sense that a predominantly black city is going to be fearful that the current Cobo plan would simply exacerbate those skews, with whites gaining the most……YET AGAIN? It’s not “Even Steven” ….so to speak. Those statements being made would be absurd and racist ONLY if there were NOT this HUGE socioeconomic gap between the standard of living of whites and blacks in America and Detroit. If that were the case (socioeconomic racial equality), I would be the first to agree with the author of this article. However, it is hardly the case that black and white socioeconomic equality exists in America…and certainly not in Metro Detroit. It’s simply asinine to draw parallels from “what if the same thing happened in Livonia”. The last time I checked the city of Livonia demographics does not consist of 90% white folks who are the descendants of enslaved whites historically oppressed and dominated by black society whose rates of unemployment and poverty are considerably higher than that of Blacks. Then, and only then, could an intelligent person make such a parallel. Obviously we know that Livonia has no such demographics.

No….this is NOT the problem of Detroit.....the problem is rooted in the cities evolution....which created the current fiasco.
First of all, it needs to be said that the actions of the council, regardless of the underlying motivations, are only hurting the people of Detroit. If they are merely trying to "protect their own" than they are doing a lousy job.

Secondly, I am not going to dispute your numbers on economic disparity between blacks and white, they seem correct to me. However, I think that they conceal the real story. The real disparity exists between families with two married parents and those in a single parent (usually the mother), never married household. When you break it down along those lines, poverty rates, wealth, etc. are virtually identical between black and white. The difference-maker is that approximately 70% of black children are born to never-married parents.

This brings me back to white guilt, which has only served to make the problem worse. Take programs like welfare that have actually encouraged young women to have lots of children and never marry. These programs have destroyed black communities; in fact the only good they have done is that they allow the white liberals who came up with the ideas to sleep wel at night thinking that they are doing good.

The problems that plauge blacks in this country exist within the black community. Blaming white people has done nothing to help blacks in America. The only thing it has done is make people like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton wealthy. How are black children expected to be successful when, if they study and do well in school, they are accused of "acting white" by their peers. Of course the white guilt crowd will never say this. Anyone who says these things publicly is torn apart. Just look at Bill Cosby.

There is only so much that I can say in a single post, however, to anyone who is serious about this issue, I suggest reading Black Rednecks, White Liberals by Thomas Sowell. It will open your eyes.

Old 03-03-2009, 11:22 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,531,096 times
unreal.
no wonder they're often referred to as the 'city clowncil.'

Quote:
Like the article said, if the tables were turned, Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, and a host of others would be on the next plane to Livonia.
how true that is.

Old 03-03-2009, 11:52 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,701,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyButler7000 View Post
First of all, it needs to be said that the actions of the council, regardless of the underlying motivations, are only hurting the people of Detroit. If they are merely trying to "protect their own" than they are doing a lousy job.

Secondly, I am not going to dispute your numbers on economic disparity between blacks and white, they seem correct to me. However, I think that they conceal the real story. The real disparity exists between families with two married parents and those in a single parent (usually the mother), never married household. When you break it down along those lines, poverty rates, wealth, etc. are virtually identical between black and white. The difference-maker is that approximately 70% of black children are born to never-married parents.

This brings me back to white guilt, which has only served to make the problem worse. Take programs like welfare that have actually encouraged young women to have lots of children and never marry. These programs have destroyed black communities; in fact the only good they have done is that they allow the white liberals who came up with the ideas to sleep wel at night thinking that they are doing good.

The problems that plauge blacks in this country exist within the black community. Blaming white people has done nothing to help blacks in America. The only thing it has done is make people like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton wealthy. How are black children expected to be successful when, if they study and do well in school, they are accused of "acting white" by their peers. Of course the white guilt crowd will never say this. Anyone who says these things publicly is torn apart. Just look at Bill Cosby.

There is only so much that I can say in a single post, however, to anyone who is serious about this issue, I suggest reading Black Rednecks, White Liberals by Thomas Sowell. It will open your eyes.

With all due respect….that’s BS. Marriage does not create income….never has and never will. Jobs create income. Middle and upper class people have a higher propensity to get married than do poor people. If two unemployed people get married….how much income does the marriage produce? Moreover, why are the marriage rates lower in the black community? Do they have a “don’t want to get married” gene or it more likely a consequence of the “evolution” here in America? That certainly was not the case in Africa.

When you can disprove the theory and assertions that all actions create reactions or that the present is the resultant of the past….then your argument has logical grounds to stand on. Until such proof is demonstrated, I am going to stick with the cause and effect theory of reality. The fact is that 300 years of acts of racism produced a psychological, cultural, economical and geographical reaction on black Americans. The fact that the city council is making the argument that it is making is born almost exclusively from the psychological and economical ramifications of past white racism. Blacks would have no such defenses up if not for history. Why would black folks even think like that? They are not, trying to preserve a state of black superiority or supremacy, like whites did and sometimes still do. Rather, they are in a defensive mode trying to not let history repeat itself by having whites take the good opportunities away from blacks. That is all they are doing. They are not saying that whites are lazy and irresponsible. They are not saying the whites are bad parents. They are not saying the whites are violent and stupid, like I hear insinuated by whites about blacks frequently. Rather, they are just saying that they want to protect opportunities for a disenfranchised people and city. That’s all. That is totally unlike the constant attack on black people that comes from whites that is rooted in the unstated premise of black inferiority. Yes….that is the unstated premise of your reasoning as well, in arguing that black problems originate in blacks. Every group has problems of their own making……AS HUMANS. Yet, black people have a greater propensity to be their own worst enemy more than say…..uhhhhh….I doesn’t know…….white people? So this “propensity” which is obviously, in your opinion, endemic to black people and hence leads to the socioeconomic inequalities that exist between blacks and whites today. That is the ONLY way you can get to the conclusion you reach. If you dismiss the external, then there is only the internal left to explain (its called a binary option...its either on or off). So the black condition has nothing to do with the legacy of centuries of oppression (external) rather, it’s something innate with black people, that makes them their own worst enemies and whites don’t have this gentic trait to the same degree as blacks and hence this is why whites are “good parents”, are hard workers, promote loving families and hence have higher income and lower poverty……yeah…..now I get it…..blacks are just inferior to whites. They can’t help themselves…..

America reminds me so much of Detroit. This country is going down the tubes economically.....and it was not black folks who made the decisions that are tanking this nation. Yet.....America elects a black man just in a nick of time to take the blame.......just like the City of Detroit when it got its first black mayor and ALL the problems of the city became the resulant of black the "circus" of black leadership. Such is the fate for America and Obama.

Why don't you read TIM WISE....it will open your eyes.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 03-03-2009 at 12:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit