Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 11:53 AM

937 posts, read 2,835,057 times

Advertisements

You're joking, right?
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Not even CLOSE...HW blows RO away. Im glad you decided to move to Harper Woods as they NEED good residents, but don't fool yourself. THe Detroiters come into the city and do their crime before they leave. I don't have to live there to know what goes on. Possible to see what goes on there other ways

Quote:
Originally Posted by curliq View Post
Other than car theft, Harper Woods crime stats are similar to Royal Oak - yet, I hardly read any posters warning of crime in our much-touted Royal Oak area?... Let's be candid and admit that many of us blindly hold Royal Oak on the same real estate pedestal as the GP's, and we're hair-trigger quick to suggest these two areas to out-of-towners/potential homeowners?

I only point this out because I presently live in Harper Woods (moved here from Royal Oak), and I can honestly say I feel safer here. To be fair, I live in the NE corner, bordering Grosse Pointe Woods and St. Clair Shores - so Eastland Mall is not in my backyard. But you'll find me, a young/white woman, shopping at Eastland's Target and Lowes a couple times a week sans incident - GASP, imagine that!

My experience with crime ballooned the minute I started living/working in glorious Royal Oak. I've witnessed SWAT prostitution stings in my work parking lot, aggressive homeless people, carjackings, and a crazy drug addict tried to assault me on 11 Mile (he was sent to jail for 3 years). Yes, all of this in an area where real estate averages over a quarter of a million dollars.

My point: let's ease up on pushing geographical stereotypes onto the newbies. Leave the commenting to the people who actually live in the area. Harper Woods is a great place to live, but with posters constantly knocking our area, yeah - HW will eventually become another decrepit wasteland because house-hunters have been scared away with the negative, hyped-up opinions. Surely the GP'ers don't want another "Detroit" bordering their pristine neighborhoods?...

[Stepping down from soapbox] Thanks for listening to my $.02.

Last edited by Yac; 04-17-2009 at 01:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 04:32 PM

3 posts, read 10,859 times
I would have to assume you fall on the conservative side of the political scale being that your name is biblegal. To be honest I would need to know more to provide a completely accurate assessment. However I live in Grosse Pointe and find its schools excellent (GP South was ranked in the top 200 in the nation), you are only 45 minues from the airport, and the area embraces good wholesome values. Obviously growing up there I am a little bias on the values bit, but as for the school and commute to downtown and the airport, I cannot think of abetter place to live. I realize it doesn't matter to many, but the area is predominantly conservative aswel. So if that has any bearing on your decision I figured I would let you know. Beautiful homes too...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit