U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-14-2014, 09:35 PM
 
Location: Michigan
4,643 posts, read 7,524,834 times
Reputation: 3752

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by downandoutinthed View Post
Mine is not a suggestion but more a plea for anyone's help. How can I get this abandoned house next door to my mother's torn down? I live in Detroit, we've been looking at the eye sore for fourteen years now.please someone help!!!!
All you can really do is call the city and tell them but most likely they'll just tell you they''l get to it pretty soon. It probably won't be the next day, but at the rate Mayor Duggan is trying to go for, it likely won't be another 14 years. It might get demo'ed sooner than you think.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-14-2014, 10:07 PM
 
1,710 posts, read 1,835,891 times
Reputation: 1850
Quote:
Originally Posted by downandoutinthed View Post
Mine is not a suggestion but more a plea for anyone's help. How can I get this abandoned house next door to my mother's torn down? I live in Detroit, we've been looking at the eye sore for fourteen years now.please someone help!!!!
Sorry for being nosy here, but if it bothers you so much, and it's been sitting there wothout demolition for so long (and may be likely to be there even longer), why don't you try to renovate it instead and then rent it out or something? I know no particulars of the situation but it's a suggestion.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2014, 11:42 PM
 
171 posts, read 269,101 times
Reputation: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by downandoutinthed View Post
Mine is not a suggestion but more a plea for anyone's help. How can I get this abandoned house next door to my mother's torn down? I live in Detroit, we've been looking at the eye sore for fourteen years now.please someone help!!!!
What's the address? I may have a buyer.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2014, 02:49 AM
 
Location: Detroit Michigan
429 posts, read 855,332 times
Reputation: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by downandoutinthed View Post
Mine is not a suggestion but more a plea for anyone's help. How can I get this abandoned house next door to my mother's torn down? I live in Detroit, we've been looking at the eye sore for fourteen years now.please someone help!!!!
Try contacting a group named blight busters. I think the guy who runsit name is george.

Also i dont know what area your mom is in, and there may be other options depending on the neighbor hood.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2014, 02:51 AM
 
Location: Detroit Michigan
429 posts, read 855,332 times
Reputation: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post
Sorry for being nosy here, but if it bothers you so much, and it's been sitting there wothout demolition for so long (and may be likely to be there even longer), why don't you try to renovate it instead and then rent it out or something? I know no particulars of the situation but it's a suggestion.
Its an abandoned house. chances are they are not the owners. If the renovate it, they dont own it. It belongs to a person, A bank or the city but not them. They would be throwing their money away. You cant renocate and then rent out a home that is not yours. Well you can try. but you rik losing all the money and work you put into it. Also unless is being lived in their os a good chance scrappers or these wil steal everything you do as quickly as you do it
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2014, 02:53 AM
 
Location: Detroit Michigan
429 posts, read 855,332 times
Reputation: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdemH View Post
What's the address? I may have a buyer.
You dont even kbnow who owns it or if its for sale. there are thousands of homes abndoned in detroit many for sale. is your friend having a hard time finding homes to buy?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2014, 04:41 AM
 
171 posts, read 269,101 times
Reputation: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by beans213 View Post
You dont even kbnow who owns it or if its for sale. there are thousands of homes abndoned in detroit many for sale. is your friend having a hard time finding homes to buy?
There are tons of homes to buy. But there aren't many homes on a street where most homes are being lived in.

Maybe the house is located on a somewhat decent street where the owners actually care.

Plus, a house doesn't have to be "for sale" to actually buy it. A little tax history research can get you a good buy.

Buying a home where people already live helps everyone in the picture. Helps me or other investors because we'll be able to actually rent the place out. It also helps the people living around because it takes a blighted house that could be a crack house off the market for the drug dealers. Makes the street look nicer. And it actually increased the value of their home because the street is thriving.

It's a win-win situation.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2014, 01:42 PM
 
Location: Detroit
3,671 posts, read 4,994,165 times
Reputation: 2647
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdemH View Post
There are tons of homes to buy. But there aren't many homes on a street where most homes are being lived in.

Maybe the house is located on a somewhat decent street where the owners actually care.

Plus, a house doesn't have to be "for sale" to actually buy it. A little tax history research can get you a good buy.

Buying a home where people already live helps everyone in the picture. Helps me or other investors because we'll be able to actually rent the place out. It also helps the people living around because it takes a blighted house that could be a crack house off the market for the drug dealers. Makes the street look nicer. And it actually increased the value of their home because the street is thriving.

It's a win-win situation.
He needs to look a bit harder because you can find vacant fixer uppers here and there where most of the homes on the block are occupied.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/19...13d358fb?hl=en
https://www.google.com/maps/place/37...6f7f831f?hl=en
https://www.google.com/maps/place/52...47a800de?hl=en
https://www.google.com/maps/place/19...3adb49da?hl=en
https://www.google.com/maps/place/23...0f5c455b?hl=en

Vacant homes are like a cancer, a block can go from a couple of houses on the block gets bordered up to half the block deteriorating a few years later. That's what happened to alot of blocks during the recession. If only Detroit could revive as fast as it declined during the end of the last decade.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2014, 02:28 PM
 
171 posts, read 269,101 times
Reputation: 69
Do you live in Detroit? Do you pass by these streets regularly to know that they are all lived in? Google maps for Detroit is from August 2013. It can be totally different now.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2014, 03:37 PM
 
Location: Detroit
3,671 posts, read 4,994,165 times
Reputation: 2647
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdemH View Post
Do you live in Detroit? Do you pass by these streets regularly to know that they are all lived in? Google maps for Detroit is from August 2013. It can be totally different now.
Not really, that wasn't even a year ago. WORST case scenario there may be few extra vacant homes on those blocks. Detroit's population decline has slowed since the recession so it's highly doubtful that all of those blocks rotted out in less than 12 months time. If it did, then Detroit would have to statistically be on track to having a steeper decline in population then last decade which is very highly unlikely seeing that last decade was an abnormal decade of decline for Detroit. I've been through a couple of those areas as recently as the past month. I often google street view places that I've been to just to see how much it has changed, as of right now, it's pretty accurate and a great tool to use. But that's all it should be used for, is to find potential areas. I recommend you always check out places in person before making any decisions.

Last edited by MS313; 07-15-2014 at 03:47 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top