Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2010, 08:14 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times

Advertisements

Any thoughts and impressions on Romeo....seems like just a town...but so close to Sterling Heights, etc. Is it expensive to live there? Or quite modest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 08:54 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,071,863 times
It's not close to the Heights, but it's not far and yes Romeo has fences!

It's a small town with nice looking old Victorian type homes. Northern Shelby township and Washington Twp are close by and those two area's are getting built up with retail and stuff.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:58 AM

339 posts, read 976,015 times
Romeo has a very cute downtown. There is a a particular street near the downtown full of victorian houses that is awsome to visit on Halloween night. They have animatronics and all and almost every house is like a show. I don't remember the name of the street but we take our kids there every Halloween and it gets super crowded. It takes us about 15 to 20 mins to get there from North of SH.
I believe Romeo is very affordable.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:35 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,003,279 times
Not really close to Sterling Heights. Depending on traffic, it can sometimes be a quick drive up the Van Dyke expressway. I was recently by 23 mile and Van Dyke and couldn't believe how much it has grown.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:23 PM

161 posts, read 699,651 times
I grew up in Romeo and have been around the vast majority of metro Detroit (I still consider Romeo to be on the very fringe of metro Detroit), I believe that you get the best bang for your buck in Romeo. It's a very very charming town. The kinda place where everyone knows everyone, but it's growing so it's changing too. The Victorian homes are colorful and well kept. Like MIEng said, the Halloween times and the fall in general is when Romeo goes gets tons of attention (Tillson St for Halloween and there's the Peach Festival-which minus the crappy carnival is a great celebration for the town).

I'm bias about Romeo because I grew up there, but I think it's a great town. It's so much more affordable than nearby Rochester and Shelby and nowhere near as pretentious. Plus, it's so much prettier and unique than either of those towns (although the main street in Rochester is very nice). The schools are decent, it's very safe, accessible enough to Sterling Heights, Rochester, etc. but also feels country/small town (I think it has more apple orchards than any other town in Metro Detroit). My only beef with Romeo is that it's a bit homogeneous and socially conservative, but then again so is most of Metro Detroit. Check it out sometime this summer, I think you'd be really surprised by the village.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:51 AM

533 posts, read 1,199,182 times
I grew up in Sterling Heights, but had spent the last 5 years in Romeo prior to moving out of state last fall. Even though we were there for only a short time, we both consider Romeo our hometown. I loved, loved, loved it in Romeo. We were in one of the historic homes in the village and I cannot say enough good things about our neighborhood, how friendly everyone was, and what a great, small town community it is. It's much more affordable than Rochester, but IMO has a lot more interesting historic homes and structures. Plus Romeo has the Halloween displays on Tillson, Peach Festival, neighbhorhood block parties -all great stuff.

Probably the only negative is that the streets roll up pretty early in the evenings, so there isn't a ton for downtown nightlife if that is something that you are interested in. But there are several smaller places to go out for the evening, and you really aren't all that far from some of the larger suburbs. I can't tell you how much I miss it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit