Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 12:13 AM

3,532 posts, read 6,422,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Even after losing something like 65 pounds and going from a size 40 waist down to a size 34 waist, much to my chagrin I still have a little belly fat. I have discovered a gastric bypass procedure may make you lose weight but is does not give you instant "6 - Pack Abs" !!!!!

More importantly, my diabetes is officially in "remission" and I am off all - and I mean ALL - diabetes meds. Still check my blood sugars with a glucometer one or two times a day, though.
I was told that when it takes years or decades to gain weight, it may take longer to burn that stubborn belly fat. But it can still happen, you just gotta do lots of cardio, and eat very clean, avoiding starchy foods, processed foods, and eating high sugary foods period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2011, 09:29 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,936,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
I was told that when it takes years or decades to gain weight, it may take longer to burn that stubborn belly fat. But it can still happen, you just gotta do lots of cardio, and eat very clean, avoiding starchy foods, processed foods, and eating high sugary foods period.
Gotcha ... thanks!

Actually it is starting to disappear ... little by little.

An update: I am now down to 147 (only 7 pounds to lose to reach my goal weight of 140); I had to go out and buy 32" waist pants and my neck is down to 16 1/2 ". I may have to buy 30" waist pants soon!

Most people do not know I had the surgery and are startled by my weight loss; one person asked me if I had cancer and was 'wasting away'!!!

Old 05-13-2011, 01:06 PM

240 posts, read 586,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Kronk View Post
Agave is not good. It's almost completely fructose syrup. It even has more fructose content than High Fructose Corn Syrup. Do not be fooled by the folks who market Agave Syrups. It's a scam. Regarding Diabetes, most people believe that fructose is the darling sweetener of choice because it does not affect bloog glucose levels in the same way as sugar due to the fact that the insulin response is far less. But make no mistake, Agave syrup is not a healthy alternative by any means.

Also, the title of this thread is "my diabetes has been reversed". It is my understanding that although the symptoms and blood glucose swings of diabetic condition can subside based on changes to diet, that does not necessarily mean that your diabetes has been 'reversed'. If you are diabetic, you are diabetic. How you manage that will decide the extent to which your metabolism reacts to your dietary choices. If you ignore your condition, and make it worse, your symptoms and chronic issues will also get worse. This is what some people refer to as a 'damaged metabolism'.

so technically, what you mean is that the changes you made have significantly improved your diabetic symptoms.... and in that case... BRAVO!
Many people don't understand that any food ending in "ose" is sugar in one or another of it's many forms. One may have a slower or faster effect on blood sugar readings but they are still sugar. Of course plain old sucrose is the one -as far as I know- that has the fastest negative effect. That is also the one that has absolutely no useful purpose as far as the body is concerned.

Old 05-16-2011, 04:36 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,385,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Gotcha ... thanks!

Actually it is starting to disappear ... little by little.

An update: I am now down to 147 (only 7 pounds to lose to reach my goal weight of 140); I had to go out and buy 32" waist pants and my neck is down to 16 1/2 ". I may have to buy 30" waist pants soon!

Most people do not know I had the surgery and are startled by my weight loss; one person asked me if I had cancer and was 'wasting away'!!!
ha ha, I hear you on that one. Some people, once they figure out it's me, get that look of terror on their face where they want to know what happened, but also worry that they aren't going to like the answer.. I put them at ease quick, but it's tempting to play it out a little. That would probably be pretty cruel, though..
I have actually run out of pant sizes, so I know it's time to stop. The only thing I haven't tried on is a 29, but that's more for the length than the waist (have never seen one in a x34 length). I'm sure I could fit in them, but they look too short on me. What's strange is I always used to wear x32 in length, but that was probably because the waist of the pants wasn't even close to where my natural waist is. Now that I don't have the huge gut in the way, the pants go up further and the length followed. Funny how things work out like that

Old 12-12-2012, 11:15 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,422,283 times
Update for those of you who would like to know my progress. I just have my recent A1C count, and it's at 6.4. I am not eating as healthy as I was initially, but I am watching what I eat if that makes sense. I am still staying away from the sodas, but the sweets, that's a different story.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:48 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times
This is a very inspiring thread, and have enjoyed reading the success stories! That gives me a lot of hope! While I do agree that one is a diabetic for life, I like the analogy of it "being in the closet" as long as one keeps their weight down, works out, and eats a healthy diet. That is exactly what I am doing, and I feel confident and hopeful that I will put mine into remission.

Keep the reports coming!

Old 12-28-2012, 02:55 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,516,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
just throw sex in there too and life is really not worth living

Old 01-01-2013, 02:07 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,569,699 times
I am a certified Orthotist and as such, work routinely with diabetic population.
I am aware of TWO patients in my 20 yrs in the field, that had diabetes completely scratched off their record.
One had pancreatic transplant that caught.
One had it removed due to rigorous diet and exercise.

I am very hard exercising type and ate what I wanted under "I exercise so much I can burn anything" excuse.

4 mths ago I passed kidney stone. I was diagnosed with it after 3 torturous nights. When they did my blood, at ER, sugar was 169. Which we simply contributed to stress and not being able to go pee and poo for 10 hrs.
2 mths later, I did labs, just to check on it. It was 129. I said - no way!!
I stopped eating ANY sweets; reduced portions and now step away from table slightly hungry; I stopped eating, well, snacking, after 8pm, which was a long term habit; I eat no breads, pastas, or flour products; I stay away from meats and have very little of them; I stick to chicken liver, hearts and gizzards, as they are about the leanest poultry possible; I eat a lot of beans, as they reduce blood glucose, and grains; when cravings hit me, I have apple, tomato, or satsuma. I switched to water and have only one coffee in the morning before work.
I weighed 267 being 6'55' (well, I also biceps curled 182lb)
I did my follow up labs 2 weeks ago.
My sugar dropped down to 106.
I lost 19 lbs in 6 weeks and had to dig out my old jeans from leaner times.

I AM POSITIVE I SHALL BRING THAT SUGAR DOWN TO BELOW 100 AND WILL NOT PERMIT IT TO GO UP AGAIN.

DIABETES IS 100% PREVENTABLE AND TREATABLE WITH PROPER DIET AND EXERCISE.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:19 PM

240 posts, read 586,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
ha ha, I hear you on that one. Some people, once they figure out it's me, get that look of terror on their face where they want to know what happened, but also worry that they aren't going to like the answer.. I put them at ease quick, but it's tempting to play it out a little. That would probably be pretty cruel, though..
I have actually run out of pant sizes, so I know it's time to stop. The only thing I haven't tried on is a 29, but that's more for the length than the waist (have never seen one in a x34 length). I'm sure I could fit in them, but they look too short on me. What's strange is I always used to wear x32 in length, but that was probably because the waist of the pants wasn't even close to where my natural waist is. Now that I don't have the huge gut in the way, the pants go up further and the length followed. Funny how things work out like that
That reminds me of one time when I was about 75 pounds heavier than I am now I went to a hospital sponsored dietion affair that there was lots of people at and I lost quite a bit of weight. The lady in charge asked me what I noticed most about losing a bunch of weight and I told her my pant legs got shorter. Same deal I had a big belly hanging over my belt and once I lost weight I could pull my pants up further on my pot belly. She looked at me like I was more than a little bit dingy.

Old 01-16-2013, 03:50 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,675,618 times
my weight dropped from 255 in late October to 239 and my a1c dropped from 6.4 to 6.0. and ive been missing my 3rd metformin so had i been taking the 3rd it may have gone under 6.0. so happy about this

to the OP i didn't get a chance to read your initial post but congragulations!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes