Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 09:36 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,376,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
You give many diabetics hope who just try to lose some weight, exercise, and really watch their diet. I applaud you for doing something that is really hard for most of us diabetics to do. Since I love living, I have pretty much done, with prayer, the same thing. If you see my pix in my profile, I am 40 pounds lighter than I was 5 years ago. I am slimmer and leaner.

I think some people get mixed up with having diabetes and reversing it. Reversing it doesn't mean that you are cured. I was told by my doctor that once u you are diagnosed a diabetic, you are forever a diabetic. But you can reverse the numbers to what your doctor or hmo says is a normal enough range to be taken off of meds. I am not shooting insulin in my body anymore nor am I on metformin either.

I hope I have cleared up any misunderstandings because another poster wants to argue me down about my saying what my doctor told me about my diabetes being reversed to a normal/acceptable range. Normal/acceptable range is just what our hmos or doctors think on average is acceptable. It may be acceptable for a patient who doesn't have organ damage where as another level may not be for a patient who is still 50 or more pounds overweight and on meds to control it. The bottom line is to get your A1c levels down to where we don't have to worry about our blood sugar being so high to cause any organ damage or heath concerns.

Thank You...I was a horrible eater I have to add, so just watching my portions and what it was I was eating helped alot....I agree as My Dr told me the same thing and they key to staying off the meds is Continuing to watch what your eating....I also have Reflux really bad, So unfortunetly I cant eat alot of things these days....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2014, 09:30 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,422,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
Thank You...I was a horrible eater I have to add, so just watching my portions and what it was I was eating helped alot....I agree as My Dr told me the same thing and they key to staying off the meds is Continuing to watch what your eating....I also have Reflux really bad, So unfortunetly I cant eat alot of things these days....
Awww sorry to hear that. I am 47 years old, and I just want to do my best before I hit the 50s club to continue to eat less, exercise regularly, and be excited about still being the size I was in high school.

Old 10-11-2014, 03:39 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,938,752 times
In just a little over a month it will be my 4 year anniversary of my bariatric surgery.

My Type 2 diabetes is still in remission.

I never say "cured" because I know if I just put on another 25 or 30 pounds (even though I lost a total of over 75 pounds) it will creep back.

It's sort of a semantical game, but just as I wouldn't say I was cured of diabetes, it isn't accurate to say it's just under control. Why is that? Because - speaking strictly for myself - even if I temporarily binge on carbs and sweets it does not make my blood sugars spike. The gastric bypass surgery did something to my internal chemistry that makes me more tolerant of these once "forbidden" foods without the glucose spiking. So I use the word my endocrinologist uses: my diabetes is in remission. Not cured - it can come back - but in remission. Not merely controlled, because with medications, exercise and diet I could "control" it before so long as I followed the regime scrupulously; now I don't have a regime to follow nor medications to take. I just have to keep the weight off.

Old 10-11-2014, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I'm sorry, but "normal" is different for everyone (we're human beings not machines!). Some people can run high numbers for years with no problems, and others can have low (even "normal") a1c's and have neuropathy. It is more than high blood sugar in itself that causes issues. In fact, research has shown that high INSULIN is far worse than high glucose.

My a1c is higher than OP, yet my doctor agrees with me that I am otherwise in excellent health, far better than most people my age and since the meds make me sick he is fine with me managing it on my own, like the OP, as long as it stays within a certain range.

And I do agree with OP's definition of "reversal." Fact is, NO ONE should be eating tons of crap and not exercising anyway. This is why so many more people have diabetes and other diseases today, anyway - too much bad processed food and too little activity. Like OP, I have cleaned up my diet and work out consistently with strength training and aerobic activity (daily) and my health has improved 1000%. I feel better today than I did when I was half my age! And both my doctors have said what great shape I am and that my age would be difficult to guess.
I wish I could have rep you a million times. Thanks for the response. Keep up the good work with weight management.

Old 10-11-2014, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
In just a little over a month it will be my 4 year anniversary of my bariatric surgery.

My Type 2 diabetes is still in remission.

I never say "cured" because I know if I just put on another 25 or 30 pounds (even though I lost a total of over 75 pounds) it will creep back.

It's sort of a semantical game, but just as I wouldn't say I was cured of diabetes, it isn't accurate to say it's just under control. Why is that? Because - speaking strictly for myself - even if I temporarily binge on carbs and sweets it does not make my blood sugars spike. The gastric bypass surgery did something to my internal chemistry that makes me more tolerant of these once "forbidden" foods without the glucose spiking. So I use the word my endocrinologist uses: my diabetes is in remission. Not cured - it can come back - but in remission. Not merely controlled, because with medications, exercise and diet I could "control" it before so long as I followed the regime scrupulously; now I don't have a regime to follow nor medications to take. I just have to keep the weight off.
I see what you mean. But people who aren't diabetic like us have blood sugar spikes as well. It's just that with us we have the spike and it doesn't go down until we take meds or either lose weight and watch our diets. I like remission even though, that's a clinical term for people with cancer. Diabetes doesn't spread like cancer so I would think that's why they say diabetes can be reversed and not cured like Cancer can, be it temporary or permanently, the choice is just ours to keep it reversed. Unfortunately, Cancer can't be reversed, remission is a way to say that it isn't growing, but the cells are there waiting to become activated again for what ever reason.

Old 10-14-2014, 01:35 AM

11 posts, read 12,699 times
Quote:
I eat plenty of meat, mainly lean turkey, grilled chicken, and steak. My AIC was 6.2 when I had my labs done three weeks ago. I drink protein shakes with milk as well.
Diet is the MOST important thing to manage properly, if you have diabetes. Your doctor should have given you pamphlets, and information on how to eat properly, for this condition. A registered dietician can also help you with this. I'm sure there is probably types of community assistance for this, as well. It is important to eat nutritious foods, lean meats and chicken, vegetables, salads, fruits, whole grain breads. Low fat dairy products are also included. Portion sizes are VERY important also. You should avoid sweets, candy, desserts, ice cream, anything with sugar or honey in it. Sugar-free items are allowed, in controlled amounts. The whole idea is avoid raising your blood sugar, since it is already high, from the diabetes. Diabetes is caused from the inability of your pancreas to produce enough insulin. Insulin is responsible for keeping your blood sugar under control. All starches (carbohydrates) that you eat are converted (changed) into sugar in your body, so it is also very important to limit the amount of starches that you eat. Starchy foods are: bread, potatoes, corn, pasta, french fries, chips. Your foods should be baked or broiled, not fried in oil. Good snacks for diabetics are: popcorn, nuts, low-sugar fruits such as green apples, berries. Try to learn as much as you can about diabetes, since it can cause MANY many health problems, very serious problems, if your diabetes is not controlled in the proper way.

Old 10-17-2014, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah233 View Post
Diet is the MOST important thing to manage properly, if you have diabetes. Your doctor should have given you pamphlets, and information on how to eat properly, for this condition. A registered dietician can also help you with this. I'm sure there is probably types of community assistance for this, as well. It is important to eat nutritious foods, lean meats and chicken, vegetables, salads, fruits, whole grain breads. Low fat dairy products are also included. Portion sizes are VERY important also. You should avoid sweets, candy, desserts, ice cream, anything with sugar or honey in it. Sugar-free items are allowed, in controlled amounts. The whole idea is avoid raising your blood sugar, since it is already high, from the diabetes. Diabetes is caused from the inability of your pancreas to produce enough insulin. Insulin is responsible for keeping your blood sugar under control. All starches (carbohydrates) that you eat are converted (changed) into sugar in your body, so it is also very important to limit the amount of starches that you eat. Starchy foods are: bread, potatoes, corn, pasta, french fries, chips. Your foods should be baked or broiled, not fried in oil. Good snacks for diabetics are: popcorn, nuts, low-sugar fruits such as green apples, berries. Try to learn as much as you can about diabetes, since it can cause MANY many health problems, very serious problems, if your diabetes is not controlled in the proper way.
Thank you for the information. My HMO provided three two hour classes, and everything that you typed was discussed and pamphlets were given to me as well. The nurse/dietian did say that just one starchy item could spike my blood sugar or my pancreas could go hay wire and I am in the hospital needing to get an insulin shot. So diabetes may not be cured, but with diet and exercise you can keep your A1c numbers at acceptable levels.

Last edited by antredd; 10-17-2014 at 06:24 PM..

Old 10-18-2014, 12:13 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,842,185 times
Quote:
I see what you mean. But people who aren't diabetic like us have blood sugar spikes as well. It's just that with us we have the spike and it doesn't go down until we take meds or either lose weight and watch our diets. I like remission even though, that's a clinical term for people with cancer. Diabetes doesn't spread like cancer so I would think that's why they say diabetes can be reversed and not cured like Cancer can, be it temporary or permanently, the choice is just ours to keep it reversed. Unfortunately, Cancer can't be reversed, remission is a way to say that it isn't growing, but the cells are there waiting to become activated again for what ever reason.
A person without diabetes doesnt have spikes like youre thinking. They have more hills than mountains on their BG chart. Their bodies work to stabilize their glucose, our bodies have a harder time.

Old 12-16-2014, 12:48 PM

404 posts, read 480,572 times
My story is like that of other posters. I found out in my early 40's. Such was the shock of diagnosis that I began diet and exercise immediately, lost weight and got it under control. However, shock wore off and I relapsed into bad habits. I never really embraced the new 'lifestyle'. It was a diet.

Two years ago at 55, I became concerned about aging and health. So I went back on a diet and started out walking. After 6 months of walking I joined a gym and added a weight lifting routine because extra muscle mass gives a body more material by which to absorb glucose. I've learned to love broccoli, cauliflower, salads, snap peas and the like. Oatmeal for breakfast, chicken breast for lunch and fruit for snacks. I rarely eat beef or pork and can't remember my last cheeseburger. I don't even miss that stuff anymore.

At 57 years old, my A1C is 5.4, Cholesterol is 129, BP 128/64. and I can knock off a 4.5 mile walk in about 1 hr 15 minutes no problem. I did have a small battle with the scale. It showed that I put on 15 lbs in the last year. Seeing as my clothes still fit the way they should, I finally accepted the fact that the weightlifting is doing what I wanted.

Diabetes is a chronic condition, it is not curable and does not go away. My MD told me an A1C of below 5.9 is normal, 6.0 - 6.5 pre-diabetic and 6.6 and above is full blown diabetic. He also cautioned that if I fall back into my former habits, the numbers will go back up.

Old 12-19-2014, 01:16 AM

77 posts, read 214,963 times
I'm a little confused about the semantics here. For those here who say their Type II has been reversed, would your blood sugar go WAY out of whack if you eat too much sugar in one sitting? If not, I don't see the problem with using the word "cured."

If the main argument is that returning to an unhealthy lifestyle will cause diabetes again, well, duh. The same would be true for most things. If I suffered a gunshot one day, could I not eventually say the wound cured since there's a chance I could get shot again? Etc. etc. Sorry if I sound dense, just trying to understand here.

Congratulations to those keeping their numbers down. If "remission" is a better word, so be it, but that kind of makes it sound like it'll come back no matter what (regardless of diet and exercise), so that word seems a bit negative to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes