Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 02:43 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,978,568 times

Advertisements

. . . in patients who have never had heart disease and are taking statins to lower their risk (so-called primary prevention), the reduction of heart attacks and other major events is only 2 per 100.

Statins are now thought to cause diabetes in some and perhaps memory loss. The higher the dose, the greater the risk. Approximately 100,000 cases of diabetes in the US are thought to be caused by statins.

In people who have already had a coronary related incident statins are still recommended, but their value as a preventative measure is now being called into question.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/05/op...nt&tntemail0=y

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 01:08 PM

2,178 posts, read 9,580,472 times
They have been lying about statin drugs all these years... Surprise! Surprise!!... and we were the ones they were calling flakes and liers.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura707 View Post
They have been lying about statin drugs all these years... Surprise! Surprise!!... and we were the ones they were calling flakes and liers.
Yes. I had doctors try to get me to take them and I've never had a heart incident.

I declined because I read that once you take them and quit, you have an incidence of heart problems greater than if you had never taken the drug at all.

There have been studies that showed that the entire population would do well taking these drugs as a preventative measure.

Doctors, for a time, were bombarded with these studies. I am wondering now, how they are justifying to themselves, drugging the population so.

Another thing that bothers me is that the drugs and insulin that are given for diabetes make you actually GAIN weight. The modified Atkins or South Beach diets will help a number of diabetics to lose weight and control their condition without or with a minimum of drugs.

It is supposedly so hard to get people to eat well and change their lifestyles, that most doctors give up an just hand the pills out. I don't know if insurance companies will pay a doctor if he sees a person once a month to monitor diet and weight loss. I don't know how much training a doctor has had in a non-drug approach to such problems.

The health food alternative, red yeast rice, seems to work the same way as statins and can do similar damage to the liver. It really behooves a person to do his homework.

There is a herbal remedy for blood pressure, mukta vati, but how many doctors know anything about it? India is looking at all of her old herbal remedies to categorize them and patent them as a national treasure, which they are. Drug companies can use the competition.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:20 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,323,443 times
Never heard of Statins causing diabetes basically they are used to reduce cholesterol, that said i stopped using my 40mg Crestor pills a year ago as they gave me leg cramps every morning, the ultimate alarm clock is waking up with a leg cramp (Calf muscle) you getting out of bed fast..

Old 03-14-2012, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Never heard of Statins causing diabetes basically they are used to reduce cholesterol, that said i stopped using my 40mg Crestor pills a year ago as they gave me leg cramps every morning, the ultimate alarm clock is waking up with a leg cramp (Calf muscle) you getting out of bed fast..
There is some syndrome that is thought to be a precursor to heart attacks. I believe it is the combo of high blood pressure (maybe waistline girth), diabetes, and high cholesterol.

The pills and shots that you are given for diabetes causes weight gain.
The pills they give you for cholesterol may cause diabetes.

People who have had a heart attack or stroke do benefit from the cholesterol lowering pills, they say, but only a small number (2%? It's in the article) who have not had a heart problem are really aided by statins, and considering those who may be harmed by them, should you take them?

Also, some of these drugs cause decreased mental abilities. That cuts down the quality of life, kind of killing you just a little bit every day - at least that's how I see it.

Old 03-14-2012, 03:16 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,846,929 times
metabolic syndrome is what you are thinking of.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:10 AM

64 posts, read 376,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Yes. I had doctors try to get me to take them and I've never had a heart incident.

I declined because I read that once you take them and quit, you have an incidence of heart problems greater than if you had never taken the drug at all.

There have been studies that showed that the entire population would do well taking these drugs as a preventative measure.

Doctors, for a time, were bombarded with these studies. I am wondering now, how they are justifying to themselves, drugging the population so.

Another thing that bothers me is that the drugs and insulin that are given for diabetes make you actually GAIN weight. The modified Atkins or South Beach diets will help a number of diabetics to lose weight and control their condition without or with a minimum of drugs.

It is supposedly so hard to get people to eat well and change their lifestyles, that most doctors give up an just hand the pills out. I don't know if insurance companies will pay a doctor if he sees a person once a month to monitor diet and weight loss. I don't know how much training a doctor has had in a non-drug approach to such problems.

The health food alternative, red yeast rice, seems to work the same way as statins and can do similar damage to the liver. It really behooves a person to do his homework.

There is a herbal remedy for blood pressure, mukta vati, but how many doctors know anything about it? India is looking at all of her old herbal remedies to categorize them and patent them as a national treasure, which they are. Drug companies can use the competition.
I agree. I suffered a heart attack in 1995, requiring double-bypass surgery. Since then I have been on Statins. Currently, I am on Lipitor, and have been for a number of years. I'm also a diabetic, on Insulin. My weight is a major problem. No matter what I do, or what I eat, or what I do not eat, the weight will not come off. The Doctors continue to complain and yell about my weight. I am convinced it is all the medications I'm on that is Preventing me from losing weight. But of course, none of the doctors will agree with me on that one !

Old 03-16-2012, 09:56 AM

PugDaddy, that is exactly why I had a gastric bypass in 2010. I am off statins and insulin and I am 115 lbs lighter.

Old 03-17-2012, 05:10 AM

64 posts, read 376,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
PugDaddy, that is exactly why I had a gastric bypass in 2010. I am off statins and insulin and I am 115 lbs lighter.
That's terrific. Congratulations! You should be very proud of yourself.
As for me, well, I'm not quite ready for gastic bypass - I have 2 Sisters -
one had Gastic bypass, the other had lapband procedure. Both were/are
diabetic. The Sister who had lapband, also is a double-organ transplant
recipient. They both have had ongoing problems as a result of their
surgeries.

After my double bypass surgery, I swore I would never have another surgery.

Old 03-17-2012, 10:39 AM

Of course it's your decision, but remember some doctors are good, some are not so good, and some are bad. So, too, are patients. One of my surgeon's patients ate a cheeseburger when she was still supposed to be on soft food (scrambled eggs, oatmeal, shakes, etc.). She ended up back in the OR to get it out of her stomach and throat. I doubt she had any success on her journey. Not saying your sisters weren't faithful to all the restrictions since I don't know them. According to my surgeon, about 20% of patients re-gain all or more of their weight back as they are non-compliant. Just something to think about.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 03-17-2012 at 06:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes