Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2020, 02:41 AM

3 posts, read 4,513 times

Advertisements

I was just looking at the Forks Over Knives program it's a whole food plant-based type of eating.

That's why I was asking about beans, oatmeal and corn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2020, 05:41 PM

22,654 posts, read 24,579,035 times
Mainly eat meat, fish and eggs............some high-fat dairy and nuts thrown-in.

Yes, I also occasionally eat a very small amount of veggies, probably need the Vitamin-C.

Old 11-28-2020, 11:54 PM

13,062 posts, read 7,497,585 times
Sometimes (often) I am starved for calories. Wife cooks low fat- low protein besides low carb. I'll go out by myself and get a a high fat and protein meal to satisfy my hunger.
The best I can do is moderation, low gluten, low carb. High veg diet.
I also have to be careful for gout so a high protein diet is not the answer either.
I'll get hot flashes at all hours and conditions besides hot flashes from excess carb/sugar.

Recommend that you use a BGS meter and inexpensive strips @ <.20/strip.
I also use a lipid meter and strips since I also have a triglyceride problem.

BMI 25-26, M, 70yo, fast BGS ~120 +/- 10 (that high)

Last edited by leastprime; 11-29-2020 at 12:38 AM..

Old 06-15-2021, 03:35 AM

24 posts, read 16,928 times
Keep yourself away from insulin as much as you can, for this you can take papaya in fruits and divide your meal for every short period say you can eat salads for every 2 - 3 hrs.

Old 06-15-2021, 07:12 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,467,480 times
No one mention Watercress,it cleanses your kidneys !!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-27-2021, 10:36 PM

20 posts, read 13,576 times
Eat tons of vegetables, plenty of fruits, high fiber, limited carbs, healthy fats and low-fat dairy products. Avoid processed foods and saturated & trans fats.

Old 06-29-2021, 04:52 AM

24 posts, read 16,928 times
My father has chronic diabetes and he follows medications and plant based diet with balanced meals. This help him to great extent to maintain blood glucose level.

Old 06-29-2021, 06:14 AM

1,380 posts, read 722,099 times
I'm insulin resistant and had to go really low with the carbs to get positive results. I do carnivore mostly and it has really been helpful and insulin levels are now normal. Also, started taking Curalin which has been an added benefit. It has bitter melon which helps to decrease insulin levels.

Old 07-06-2021, 09:50 AM

37 posts, read 43,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishingguy2020 View Post

For those of you who are at Whole Food plant-based diet do you watch your carb intakes like beans, corn and oatmeal?
No. I eat a ton of beans, fruit, and rice. I don't really care for corn but have it once in a while. I don't care for oatmeal either and usually just have fruit and nuts for breakfast.

Old 07-09-2021, 05:31 PM

10,833 posts, read 14,929,565 times
I am 72 and was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes 8 1/2 years ago.

Luckily I don't have to take insulin shots but I do take 500 mg Metformin twice daily morning and evening along with 25 mg of Alogliptin once daily in the morning.

When I do check my sugar in the morning it is usually around 125 first thing but if I don't eat anything it will drop to around 110 after an hour. The highest I have seen it was around 180 shortly after eating some food I am not supposed to have but, as I said, that was the highest I have ever seen it.

Before the Metformin my A1c was 8.7 but since starting the Metformin the highest it has been, over an eight year period, is 7.2 so I am counting myself as very fortunate. I had blood drawn last week and got the results just this morning and my A1c was at.... drum roll please.... 6.4 the lowest it has been in the past 8 years. Yep, 6.4 so I must be doing something right.

I do not drink alcohol nor do I smoke.

For snacks I have cut up bell peppers, bananas and sometimes will treat myself to a tangerine but everything in moderation. Last night I went to a birthday party where they had pizza and I had one piece and it happened to be the first pizza I have had in over 3 years so.... moderation. I will occasionally have other goodies but I keep the amounts in moderation.

I don't drink sugar drinks and my favorite is the Clear American brand you can purchase at Wal Mart my favorite being the strawberry. That and I like the Kiwi Strawberry packets of Benefiber. Zero calories mix with water.

I am 72, soon to be 73, and am still working full time because I like what I do and my doctor encourages me to keep on going. I design fire sprinkler systems for buildings and 75% of my time is at an office desk using an AutoCAD based program but I would say one day a week I am at a job site working my butt off surveying what I got to work with. I have had some days when the day ends I am just beat. Great exercise.

I used to go to Anytime Fitness to work out and I need to fire up and start that again. Covid kind of shut me down for a while and I got out of the habit. I am convinced the biggest help I can do for myself is exercise. Maybe it doesn't work for everyone, we are all different after all, but it works for me.

But 6.4 really left me in shock!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes