Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 04:18 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I was referring to any wine (with dinner) because it sounded to me as if that's what you meant.
No, I meant what I said: sangria. It is not just wine. It's wine with fruit juice, sugar/simple syrup/honey, and brandy. Which is why I went out of my way to specify that the type I was referring to, didn't have the brandy in it. If I meant "any" wine, I would have written "any" wine. Or at the very least, I wouldn't have specified sangria. It's also why I specified it by brand: Yago, which makes...specifically...sangria.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2011, 02:30 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,285,680 times
Gary Taubes explains it:

YouTube - ‪Gary Taubes about why we get fat, part 1 of 3‬‏

Let Sean Croxton break down the sugar/carbs thing:

YouTube - ‪Sugar: The Bitter Truth (The SHORT Version)‬‏

Old 05-28-2011, 04:51 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Gary Taubes is not a medical professional of any kind at all. He's a journalist who makes money by writing things, particularly about science. He is not, however, a medical scientist. His Masters degree is in Aerospace Engineering; a completely unrelated scientific field.

His ONLY credentials regarding nutrition, is a couple of articles for the New York times, and a book.

Sean Croxton is so much of a non-person, that he doesn't even make a mention in wikipedia. He is an online personality, who has no published CV except what he claims for himself on his own website/blog.

Old 05-28-2011, 10:01 PM

Gary is a journalist who *transcends* the drug cartel medical industry.

To label Sean Croxton a nobody is quite rude but what I expect from you! Sean is an up and comer for realll!

I'm gonna watch his show.... definitely don't watch it, your mind is closed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvtZqe9G9-w

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Gary Taubes is not a medical professional of any kind at all. He's a journalist who makes money by writing things, particularly about science. He is not, however, a medical scientist. His Masters degree is in Aerospace Engineering; a completely unrelated scientific field.

His ONLY credentials regarding nutrition, is a couple of articles for the New York times, and a book.

Sean Croxton is so much of a non-person, that he doesn't even make a mention in wikipedia. He is an online personality, who has no published CV except what he claims for himself on his own website/blog.

Old 05-29-2011, 12:59 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,071,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon&lime View Post
Gary is a journalist who *transcends* the drug cartel medical industry.
Yeah, we didn't see that page of the playbook coming. /sarcasm

Quote:
To label Sean Croxton a nobody is quite rude but what I expect from you! Sean is an up and comer for realll!
Not really. He's been running his videos for a couple years and he hasn't even received a single mention on several of the athlete/bodybuilding forums I visit. He's received a handful of mentions on BodyBuilding.com and even there, half of the people who respond think he's a certified moron and another third don't quite know what to make of him.

Suffice it to say, this guy is completely inconsequential to the serious athletic community so Anon's post is pretty much spot on.

Old 05-30-2011, 11:05 AM

Sean Croxton is a wellness/nutrition expert, not a body builder. That you've never heard of him means nothing.

Old 05-30-2011, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Sean Croxton is a wellness/nutrition expert, not a body builder. That you've never heard of him means nothing.
You need to pay better attention, because I never said I haven't heard of him. What I did do was point out how no one in the game is talking about him because he's a complete idiot and only the noobs on BodyBuilding.com even ask about him.

He does the same thing D'Adamo did to you and the rest of your drones. He threw out some nifty sounding ideas, referenced a bunch of invalid or unrelated studies that none of you ever bothered to check and then raked in the money as you fell for it all, hook, line and sinker. That might work on you uneducated types but the real pros see right through that and dismiss accordingly.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:23 PM

The health food chain industry has made a lot of $ off us foodies sure. Organic farms, grass fed beef industry......Peter D'Adamo is a naturopath/scientist who offers legitimate information & a few well formulated supplements to an educated group. I've bought a few his books, have had untold gains from each one. The Blood Type diet & genotype theory 2 of the most important things to happen to me in my adult life. I'm not sure that you get this....His books describe my health very accurately. The most recent one is based on several measurements ie my legs versus torso, length of certain fingers, shape of my jaw, length of lower leg, etc----- The Hunter section describes my medical & metabolic issues/history very well. As I've mentioned I think this genotype is common in my family & the medical history is all auto immune, heart disease & obesity stuff. A lot of asthma & allergies, depression, celiac type disease. No cancer to speak of. My dad was an athelete in highschool, is an aggressive saavy entrepreneur/lawyer. My mother is bone thin also, has an adversarial personality, has asthma. The D'Adamo theory bears itself out. It does seem true to me based on my observations of myself & immediate family.

Old 05-30-2011, 11:31 PM

Quote:
It does seem true to me based on my observations of myself & immediate family.
Yes, anecdotal evidence. You and D'Adamo both attempt to support your views with something scientifically unreliable.

Old 05-31-2011, 12:16 AM

296 posts, read 543,092 times
I lost 5lbs counting calories. I weighed my food and documented everything that I ate. It worked for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss