Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 04:51 PM

2,444 posts, read 3,583,980 times

Advertisements

The absolute truth to it has to be that the reason "counting calories isn't working" is because you're doing it wrong.

I don't think any more explanation is needed for an intelligent person really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 06:40 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishViking View Post
The absolute truth to it has to be that the reason "counting calories isn't working" is because you're doing it wrong.

I don't think any more explanation is needed for an intelligent person really.

I counted calories last year in it worked great for me. I wrote a food diary and made sure I ate between 1400-1600 calories per day combines with excersise. I made sure that I ate at least 500 calories less per day than I normally had and how I ate those calories was up to me. I figured I could eat anything as long as I did not go over 1600 cal per day.
I lost 1 pound per week.
While you do this you have to realize that calories ads on fast. If i wanted to enjoy a glass or two of red wine in the evening, I figured I had to cut my calories during the day with 500. OR, I increased my cardio work out with another 60 minutes that day.

Last edited by glass_of_merlot; 05-23-2011 at 06:54 PM..

Old 05-23-2011, 07:35 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
FYI: a glass of sangria only has 150 calories in it. And that's wine, sweetened usually with sugar, and mixed with fruit juice. I'm pretty sure the brandy adds extra calories but if you buy premixed sangria (like Yago), there's no brandy in it and it's just 150 calories per glass.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:48 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
FYI: a glass of sangria only has 150 calories in it. And that's wine, sweetened usually with sugar, and mixed with fruit juice. I'm pretty sure the brandy adds extra calories but if you buy premixed sangria (like Yago), there's no brandy in it and it's just 150 calories per glass.
cool

Old 05-26-2011, 04:09 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
It may be 150 cals, but it increases your appetite and you're likely to eat more because of it. I'm speaking from experience because I like both my drinks and my waistline!

Old 05-26-2011, 06:49 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
It may be 150 cals, but it increases your appetite and you're likely to eat more because of it. I'm speaking from experience because I like both my drinks and my waistline!
Erm, sangria is considered a dessert wine. You drink it AFTER you have already consumed your meal; not before. That means, your appetite has already been sated by whatever you have chosen to eat, prior to taking a sip of sangria. In other words, you're full, BEFORE you drink. You don't drink first, then eat too much of your meal. Or even with. Unless of course you're drinking your sangria with your hot fudge sundae, in which case, I'd suggest that it's the hot fudge sundae and not the sangria that's the problem.

Old 05-27-2011, 07:14 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,562,134 times
Quote:
Interesting, I haven't found that. On occasion I have a glass of red wine (4 points plus) with steak, and I can still keep to a modest portion size for the steak - it helps to eat a salad before, and veggies with the steak.

Another good alternative - a lean fish, with white wine. Even if you eat a lot of the fish, its not that many calories.

We are eating more salmon - to help with some eye issues my wife has, and to help with my cholesterol levels - and cause it fits nicely with WW - and cause its just damned good! That allows for playing with Chardonnays, Pinots, etc, as there are a fair number of ways to match salmon.

Old 05-27-2011, 07:16 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,562,134 times
Quote:
Erm, sangria is considered a dessert wine. You drink it AFTER you have already consumed your meal; not before. That means, your appetite has already been sated by whatever you have chosen to eat, prior to taking a sip of sangria. In other words, you're full, BEFORE you drink. You don't drink first, then eat too much of your meal. Or even with. Unless of course you're drinking your sangria with your hot fudge sundae, in which case, I'd suggest that it's the hot fudge sundae and not the sangria that's the problem.

I'd rather a REAL dessert wine (like some late harvest Semillon or Rheisling or whatever) with a fresh pear.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:56 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
I was referring to any wine (with dinner) because it sounded to me as if that's what you meant.

Old 05-27-2011, 03:28 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,073,381 times
Quote:
Hmmm, if I save calories to drink wine...does that make me an alcoholic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss