Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 07:29 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,669,385 times

Advertisements

We started our low fat diet the 1rst of Jan, and we are still struggling with loss of any weight. IDK>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 09:23 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,443,879 times
On this board, you will most probably be told repeatedly that you need to go low-carb to no-carb to lose weight, accompanied, wherever possible, by low-fat.

Low-fat only but carbs galore will keep the scale unmoved for a very long time.

Old 03-15-2011, 05:46 AM

2,634 posts, read 2,678,853 times
I've eaten high carb and lost weight. I've eaten low carb and stayed thin. For me it's all been about calories. That's why you see people doing crazy diets and losing weight. They are still burning more calories than taking in. We can't really see your diet to say what's wrong with it, but you are either eating too much or exercising too little. Not that everyone would agree with me, but I counted calories, read every single package and measured everything to get an idea of how many calories I was eating. The calories I was taking in and the rough estimate of calories I was burning matched exactly with my weight loss.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:05 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,962,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
...... you are either eating too much or exercising too little.
Im willing to be the farm that this is what is going on with the OP.

The problem I have with lowfat diets is that people tend to eat bad or questionable foods that have the "lowfat" label attached (i.e., lowfat ice cream, lowfat cake, etc.). I am even LESS of a fan of any low carb or no carb diet and would NEVER recommend those.

I think the OP should just concentrate on eating CLEAN. Which means eating good healthy foods while watching her calorie intake and EXERCISING.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:06 AM

1,678 posts, read 4,011,950 times
Like TXRunner, I watch my calories closer than my carbs, although I do keep the carb count in mind in the back of my head. I generally try to keep my carbs under 200 (optimally less than 150), and try to shoot for 500 calories below maintenace weight calories (there are ALOT of online calorie calculators to find out your mainteance calories).

Remember, to lose weight, you have to burn more than you consume. Also keep in mind that 1 lb=3500 calories. So, to lose 1-2 lbs a week, if you burn 500-700 calories per day more than your maintenace weight through exercise and proper diet, you will lose weight. This is the process I used last year to lose 67 lbs in 9 months.

Ian

Old 03-15-2011, 10:09 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,395,601 times
Post the contents of a normail daily food routine and then we can go from there. Make sure it's honest too. Non-truths and losing weight do not go together at all. Took me forever to figure that one out...

Low fat alone isn't going to cut it if the caloric intake is >= the amount of calories you need to survive.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:24 AM

2,596 posts, read 5,582,871 times
Have you tried decreasing the amount of carbs in your diet? Have you tried adding more lean protein to your diet? Have you tried drinking more water? Have you tried exercising more? When you exercise, are you doing just cardio, or strength training too?

I feel for you. While there are some general truths that are valid (reducing calories=weight loss), not every body reacts the same way to the same factors. Some have an easier time losing weight than others. Some can break a few "rules" and still lose weight. Others can seem to follow the rules to a "T" and still struggle.

My gut reaction would be that if you've been trying for 2.5 months now and haven't had any positive results, it's time to try something different. I would experiment with changing up my diet to include more protein and fewer carbs (try having eggs for breakfast, Kashi cereal if you crave cereal), a lot more water, and see what that did. If that didn't work after a month, I would try something else until I found what seemed to work for my body.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:03 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
We started our low fat diet the 1rst of Jan, and we are still struggling with loss of any weight. IDK>
If you've been on a "diet" for 8 10 weeks and haven't lost any weight, you're not doing something right. Are you keeping track of the food that you eat? Weighing, measuring, counting calories? Are you exercising at all?

It's not enough to reduce fat in your diet if you're adding calories back in another way. I suggest you use one of the many online calorie calculators available and be honest about what you're eating and how much you're exercising.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:17 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Reducing fat will only result in "gaining less" if your fat reduction is not more than what you're burning off.

I don't check numbers. But if (for example, using nice neat even numbers) a pound of fat is 2500 calories. And your exercise level burns off 3000 calories. And you *were* consuming 2 pounds of fat (5000 calories), and you are NOW consuming 1.5 pounds of fat (3750 calories) you will still gain weight. But you'll gain it slower than before.

If, however, your exercise level burns off 3000 calories, and you eat only one pound of fat, then you will be burning off 500 calories more than you are consuming, resulting in a net loss of 500 calories worth of fat - which is 1/5 of a pound.

I know the actual numbers are completely different. I'm approaching the math equation itself, not the numeric values. The equation works no matter which numbers you plug in.

If input > output then result = gain.
If output > input then result = loss.
If input = output then result = nul

Old 03-15-2011, 11:48 AM

2,296 posts, read 6,285,680 times
Low fat has nothing to do with it. Buy The Zone or Dukan & Eat Right For Your Type. Put together a lower carb regime & exclude foods bad for your blood type. Exercise is important if you are an O. Good luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss