Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 11:48 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,575,297 times

Advertisements

the argument for slow (well what Ive heard from WW) is that by losing slowly, your weight loss lifestyle is very similar to your maintenance life style - the same mix of foods, just on maintenance you will eat moderately more - so while losing you are building the habits to keep it off. That seems sensible to me.

What are the arguments for fast weight loss (2 or more pounds a week)? Other than wanting to be a certain weight for a specific event? I guess some folks will get discourage if it takes a long time to lose, and will stop weight loss entirely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 05:59 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,816,323 times
I believe that the best argument for a fast weight loss is that it will help to get you started. If you lose 5 lbs in that first week or so you will get excited and motivated and continue. I don't believe that it's good to try to keep losing it that fast--you've got to give your skin a chance to keep up.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:13 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,814,083 times
I think it really depends on the situation. For example, if I overindulged during the holidays and just need my pants to not be so tight in the waist, a quick-loss is really all I need, just to shed 4-6 pounds total. I don't need a "program," I just need to get back where I was a few weeks prior.

If I'm 50 pounds overweight and it took me 3 years to gain it, I might want to get a jumpstart on the first 4-6 pounds, but then take my time on the rest, at maybe 2 pounds a week with maybe another jump-start every 5th week to keep my confidence level up.

If I'm only 10-20 pounds overweight, hopefully I'll realize this before mid-Spring, and take my time losing it with better food and more exercise (those 2-week free gym trial memberships are awesome for this). If I lost 3 or 4 pounds the first week, it'd make the last 16-17 pounds not seem so daunting.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:21 PM

34,114 posts, read 83,076,821 times
Why must it be one or the other?
How about a series of fast loss periods followed by slow loss maintenance periods?

Some years ago I did a high protein low carb diet and managed to *melt* weight off
close to 45lbs in about 90days with no exercise per se... just staying busy

Fast weight loss is the easier part and does wonders for attitude and motivation.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Why must it be one or the other?
How about a series of fast loss periods followed by slow loss maintenance periods?
the argument for slow throughout, is consistency. When you are on weight loss, which is when most folks will be part of a program, most conscious of what they eat, etc, is a chance to learn the habits you will keep on maintenance (which, BTW, by definition is no loss, not slow loss). The idea is we are creatures of habit, and forming good, sustainable, habits as soon as possible is important.

The arguments for fast loss y'all have mentioned above all boil down to motivation - needing to see the loss quickly to feel motivated to go on. I can see that - though for me, I felt motivated enough, seeing those one to two pound a week losses was good enough reinforcement.

this is a real issue - lots and lots of folks do manage to lose weight, and then dont manage to keep it off. When you are on maintenance, you WILL NOT have the reinforcement of big weight losses - at your ideal weight, you wont have ANY weight losses.

Old 05-17-2011, 11:35 AM

34,114 posts, read 83,076,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
When you are on maintenance...
Like political theories or business management approaches or parenting styles virtually any approach will work IF...
(a BIG damned IF!) they are consistently followed through on.

I'm sure that there actually are people out there who will moderate themselves...
and honor the commitments required by the maintenance plan.
And some of them may even do so long term.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Like political theories or business management approaches or parenting styles virtually any approach will work IF...
(a BIG damned IF!) they are consistently followed through on.

I'm sure that there actually are people out there who will moderate themselves...
and honor the commitments required by the maintenance plan.
And some of them may even do so long term.
The idea is to make commitment easier, by making the "right" things, a habit.

Old 05-17-2011, 05:58 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,814,083 times
The alternatives are pretty simple logic:
You can continue losing weight, until you are emaciated, your organs shut down, and you die...
or you can continue gaining weight, until you are morbidly obeses, your organs overload from stress, and you die.

Once you get to whatever weight is comfortable and within a healthy range AND you have become physically fit in other aspects...

Then the only 3 things you CAN do is to maintain, revert back to being unhealthy, or continue to lose.

Old 05-19-2011, 03:50 AM

858 posts, read 2,995,029 times
Fast is weight loss; slow is weight loss and hopefully a lifestyle change. I've lost 43 since late Oct-early Nov, and I've learned what I need to do to eat more healthy.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:23 AM

6 posts, read 8,285 times
weight loss is weight loss either slow or fast but we should try to loss weight slowly..
The reason is that slow weight loss effect our permanently..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss