Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 08:34 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,098,580 times

Advertisements

In general, no chemicals, no "fake food" (things that are already prepared in a box or freezer section).

I limit dairy and wheat. I have mild allergies to it and can only tolerate a serving a day (sometimes not even...but the reaction isn't horrible).

I do not eat beef or pork at all (no burgers, bacon, hotdogs..etc), severly allergic to it. I can't even eat food that has been prepared on the same grill.

I eat veggies, beans, fruit, chicken, fish, turkey, some small servings of pasta.

No sodas or juice...I stick to seltzer, water, coffee or tea and wine.

It is VERY rare that I will eat cereal. Breakfast is always a greek yogurt, oatmeal, quinoa or eggs.

lunch is typically a slice or two of deli meat and a salad. Sometimes I'll have what was leftover from dinner if it isn't too heavy and truthfully, when it's hot out, sometimes I skip lunch.

Dinner is usually a protein, veggie (or 2), and some type of carb (brown rice, quinoa..etc.).

Wanted to add that I will splurge when I make cookies or baked goods and I never pass up birthday cake. I very, very rarely eat chips though...too salty for my taste buds but I did have some last weekend (PMS...what are ya gonna do?? LOL). It's not often that I do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 10:46 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,995,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishViking View Post
What's your philosophy when eating?
If I am in need of losing weight I follow the "Eat as much as I want, of only food I dont like" diet.

If I am eating Lucky Charms, I'll eat all the cat food parts first and save the marshmallows for last.

Actually, I do pretty much what Kristisa said - "I eat to live, NOT live to eat".

If its green and it comes from the ground, I'll eat (as long as it isnt a brussell sprout). Just have a basic knowledge of what is and is not healthy and try to eat only the healthy stuff.

Last edited by LaoTzuMindFu; 05-24-2011 at 11:35 PM..

Old 05-24-2011, 11:11 PM

156 posts, read 289,145 times
-No foods with high-fructose corn syrup.

-No pork; beef like once or twice a month

-Fish and chicken galore

-Carbs during the day (most of them anyway); fruits and/or veggies for snacks in the evening

-Protein shake three days a week after my workout with a spinach, strawberry, and banana smoothie to follow (I just can't mix protein with my smoothies for some reason lol)

-One tablespoon of coconut butter every morning

-Water, water, water; 100% juice? yes; soda? sparingly

Still a work in progress...

Old 05-25-2011, 05:46 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,295,823 times
Minimize carbs. Don't add salt. Drink lots of water.

Old 05-25-2011, 06:09 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,287,710 times
Eat meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds, fruit, little starch, and no sugar. And LOTS of water.

Old 05-25-2011, 06:54 AM

3,487 posts, read 9,435,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
Everything in moderation and balance. Real, local and in season whenever possible. I get no satisfaction from a flavorless tomato in February, I would rather wait and have it off the vine in August.
Ditto. I also avoid buying products with chemicals and additives. I will eat this "food" at other people's homes or at restaurants but I will not buy it for my house. I eat mostly whole grains, vegetables, and meat. I limit meat consumption for the most part to dinner only (vegetarian before 6 pm is my philosophy). I drink one coffee in the morning then usually just water all day. Luckily for me, I don't really like soda. I do like red wine and will have the occasional beer though.

Other than that, it is just portion control for all meals and moderation when I want something that isn't terribly healthy, like pizza, sweets, giant burritos, etc.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:13 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,581,534 times
I am a moderate on the pollan stuff. I will lean somewhat toward natural, etc, but Im not going to twist myself into a pretzel to avoid it. Fortunately my wife and I like to cook - and I have like fresh fruit as a snack. But I will not eliminate all convenience foods, including frozen. And I DO use low fat substitutes, margarine (though usually I just use olive oil, if it works), and artificial sweeteners. eat only what my grandmother recognized as food - you mean the grandmother who died prematurely from stroke?

I have been following WW which emphasizes veggies, fruits, whole grains, lean protein, nonfat dairy, and allows some treats. That feels right to me, and agrees with the medical positions I find most persuasive. I try to limit sat fats, but look for opportunities to get in "good fats" and Im not rigid about avoiding sat fats either (at least so far, I am awaiting blood work results) I also avoid simple carbs, only cause doc said to, and Im not rigid about that either.

I will occasionally have a diet coke as a treat, but have mostly eliminated soda.

I drink wine or beer with meals on occasion - my usual moderation in drinking fits in well with the WW approach.

I do not eat any pork product or shell fish. Shalom to you too.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:12 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,295,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
I am a moderate on the pollan stuff. I will lean somewhat toward natural, etc, but Im not going to twist myself into a pretzel to avoid it. Fortunately my wife and I like to cook - and I have like fresh fruit as a snack. But I will not eliminate all convenience foods, including frozen. And I DO use low fat substitutes, margarine (though usually I just use olive oil, if it works), and artificial sweeteners. eat only what my grandmother recognized as food - you mean the grandmother who died prematurely from stroke?

I have been following WW which emphasizes veggies, fruits, whole grains, lean protein, nonfat dairy, and allows some treats. That feels right to me, and agrees with the medical positions I find most persuasive. I try to limit sat fats, but look for opportunities to get in "good fats" and Im not rigid about avoiding sat fats either (at least so far, I am awaiting blood work results) I also avoid simple carbs, only cause doc said to, and Im not rigid about that either.

I will occasionally have a diet coke as a treat, but have mostly eliminated soda.

I drink wine or beer with meals on occasion - my usual moderation in drinking fits in well with the WW approach.

I do not eat any pork product or shell fish. Shalom to you too.
This sounds like a recipe for rebound. If I were you I'd stop worrying about the saturated fats and more about the margarine and other low fat substitures as well as sugar (from the fruit snacks). Fat's not your enemy. Sugar and carbs are.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:22 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,569,682 times
Food is fuel, so I make certain that my nutritional needs take first priority. I get gratification from other life choices, like: reading, needlework, gardening, walking my dog, bicycling, kayaking.

I also believe life choices are personal and like noses, everybody gets their own.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:29 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,581,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
This sounds like a recipe for rebound. If I were you I'd stop worrying about the saturated fats and more about the margarine and other low fat substitures as well as sugar (from the fruit snacks). Fat's not your enemy. Sugar and carbs are.

We will see. The folks I know who rebounded after WW were folks who stopped tracking on hitting goal weight. I intent to follow the WW approach to maintenance - gradually adding more points, and then continue to track for at least several months. I have changed my habits, and I think that is permanent.

I eat very little margarine, but I dont see any reason to deprive myself of it absolutely. Fat of course is not my enemy - I make it a point to eat olive oil, nuts, and other foods with healthy fats. I avoid SATURATED fat. I worry about them because I had (as of december) high LDL and triglyceride levels. I have reviewed the lit attacking the so called "lipid hypothesis" and I do not agree with it. Among other things I constantly see references to 'demonizing fat' when in fact its only sat fat that needs to be limited. In the very post you responded to, I mentioned that I look for chances to eat healthy oils, and yet you felt a need to tell me "that fat is not my enemy". I find this typical, and disingenous.

Carbs are not my enemy. Fresh fruit is high in nutrients, high in fiber, is filling, satisfying, and a good alternative to many other snacks. Its consumption in moderation is supported by the American Diabetes Assoc, among other folks.

Whole grains, in moderation, are recommended by many, including IIRC the American Heart Assoc.

IIRC, I was told here, by low carb advocates, that this approach would not get me to the weight I need to get to. Well it has.

Now you are calling rebound? Well I intend to prove you wrong again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss