Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 10:39 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,581,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
This sounds like a recipe for rebound. If I were you I'd stop worrying about the saturated fats and more about the margarine and other low fat substitures as well as sugar (from the fruit snacks). Fat's not your enemy. Sugar and carbs are.

and that sounds to me like a recipe for a coronary. So far we have all put down our own philosophies on this thread, and refrained from commenting on each other's. If you want another flamewar over macronutrients, I suppose we can have it. I doubt anything new will be added though.

If you want to see where these issues have already been discussed here

https://www.city-data.com/forum/diet-...esnt-work.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/diet-...e-l-times.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/diet-...b-dieters.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/diet-...e-paradox.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/diet-...rbs-equal.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/diet-...t-balance.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/diet-...radoxical.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/diet-...a-paradox.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/diet-...at-grains.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 12:10 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,248,621 times
Whatever you do, do NOT get fat!

Old 05-25-2011, 12:43 PM

2,444 posts, read 3,588,888 times
Just remembered another part of my philosophy;

The body can always take a little crap as long as it's not a habit.

About saturated fats vs non saturated fats, and trans fats vs cis-fats etc,

Let's say it like this;
while here are plenty of studdies that show advantages in comparisons, whether or not these differences are large enough to actually make an impact on your health is still a debate among scientists in the field. (and no your doc doesn't know better, his source is one of these scientists to begin with)

Old 05-25-2011, 12:44 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,291,760 times
My main philosophy/influence is something called the Blood Type diet which I have practiced for about ten years. I recently got my copy of The Genotype Diet & am typed as a Hunter, not a Gatherer. Very happy about this news, has changed my view of many things. As I've mentioned on here before, I eat in a way that enhances my thin genetics. I'm an ectomorph & have never weighed more than 120, 100-110 most of the last 25 years. I avoid wheat & dairy, include red meat & exercise almost daily. This system overall is what works best for me.

Old 05-25-2011, 02:02 PM

156 posts, read 289,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon&lime View Post
My main philosophy/influence is something called the Blood Type diet which I have practiced for about ten years. I recently got my copy of The Genotype Diet & am typed as a Hunter, not a Gatherer. Very happy about this news, has changed my view of many things. As I've mentioned on here before, I eat in a way that enhances my thin genetics. I'm an ectomorph & have never weighed more than 120, 100-110 most of the last 25 years. I avoid wheat & dairy, include red meat & exercise almost daily. This system overall is what works best for me.

I borrowed a book from my my neighbors not too long ago that was about this: "Eat Right for Your Blood Type". Very interesting and informative. I am not a follower of the diet plan, but I wouldn't rule it out. I think I am labeled a "hunter" as well:

Eat Right For Your Type :: The Official Blood Type Diet Site

Old 05-25-2011, 02:07 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,344,191 times
I'm a vegetarian, so that guides a lot of my decisions.

I buy local and/or organic when I can, but some produce doesn't have to be organic like oranges, pineapples, etc. Basically if I eat the skin or it grows underground, I buy organic whenever I can. I don't think it's more nutritious, but I also don't want a bunch of pesticides. Plus, I think it tastes better. YMMV.

I don't eat much processed food and I rarely eat out. I never eat fast food or have pizza delivered. To me, food is fuel.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:43 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,291,760 times
It is a highly accurate system. You may be interested in learning your genotype; you will need specific measurements as well as a copy of The Genotype Diet. It is an easy to do eating system that produces long-term results. Read the d'adamo web board also for more info-------TONS of testimonials, people who've been on it 10+ years like me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maseyjean View Post
I borrowed a book from my my neighbors not too long ago that was about this: "Eat Right for Your Blood Type". Very interesting and informative. I am not a follower of the diet plan, but I wouldn't rule it out. I think I am labeled a "hunter" as well:

Eat Right For Your Type :: The Official Blood Type Diet Site

Old 05-25-2011, 09:00 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,995,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maseyjean View Post
[/url]
That is completely bogus. Ive posted on here many times about this. Years ago, I got the book, read the book, then gave away the book (or did I trash it?). It was soooo far off the mark that it was ridiculous.

Bottom line is - LEARN about proper nutrition. Not some cockamanie "diet" scheme thought up by someone just to make a buck. People should learn about proper nutrition (i.e., what to eat), then learn portion size and how to judge calories (i.e., how to eat) and you have a great philosophy of eating. Do this along with a strenuous/vigorious exercise program and you are sure to lose weight if you are overweight; gain weight if you are underweight; and improve your health and overall being if any weight.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:01 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,544,944 times
buffet all day

Old 05-25-2011, 10:38 PM

156 posts, read 289,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
That is completely bogus. Ive posted on here many times about this. Years ago, I got the book, read the book, then gave away the book (or did I trash it?). It was soooo far off the mark that it was ridiculous.

Bottom line is - LEARN about proper nutrition. Not some cockamanie "diet" scheme thought up by someone just to make a buck. People should learn about proper nutrition (i.e., what to eat), then learn portion size and how to judge calories (i.e., how to eat) and you have a great philosophy of eating. Do this along with a strenuous/vigorious exercise program and you are sure to lose weight if you are overweight; gain weight if you are underweight; and improve your health and overall being if any weight.

Yeah, I won't shun another individual's methods; people go about staying healthy in different ways, and if it works for them then that's great. I applaud anyone who makes strides toward better health. I cannot say that my method is better than someone else's and vice-versa.

As I said before, I don't follow the plan because I have learned how to listen to my body without any outside influence, so I know what works for it and what does the latter. It's amazing to me because the more health conscious I've become, it feels as if my body is "telling" me what it does/does not want; certain unhealthy cravings have dissipated. But that could be due to my own inner will to stay healthy as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss