Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 10:23 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,666,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciameriken View Post
Here is one to wrap your heads around:
Cell Metabolism - Time-Restricted Feeding without Reducing Caloric Intake Prevents Metabolic Diseases in Mice Fed a High-Fat Diet

To sum quickly - two groups of mice fed a high fat diet - one group they only let feed for half the day. Mice consumed same amount of calories but the time restricted mice did not become obese!
This doesn't indicate the hours that were restricted, lets say it's 8pm- 8 am, those are the hours most people eat and we have plenty of obesity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 10:24 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,801,723 times
Quote:
Here is one to wrap your heads around:
Cell Metabolism - Time-Restricted Feeding without Reducing Caloric Intake Prevents Metabolic Diseases in Mice Fed a High-Fat Diet

To sum quickly - two groups of mice fed a high fat diet - one group they only let feed for half the day. Mice consumed same amount of calories but the time restricted mice did not become obese!
I was hoping you'd chime in sci. Yes, IF does seem to be studied more with lab animals--probably b/c you can't pay people enough to starve, lol. And fasting is easier with rats than trying to figure out the rat equivalent of an Atkins diet. But yeah, healthwise and weightwise it seems to look promising. Maybe it works b/c you're not keeping your insulin level high all the time. For me, the weight loss will be secondary--it's the amount of energy I have and then I forget how great it was when I'm not doing it. I'll let you all know how it goes.

One thing I know, low-carb was a fail. Gluten free was a fail. Tried the cabbage soup diet once and got royally sick of the stuff and didn't lose a pound. Did that Mayo clinic diet once where you eat this totally scripted diet for 3 days and are supposed to lose 10 lbs. The only lb I lost came back the next day. You'd think I'd learn. Even if the only reason this works is from calorie restriction, it's still easier to follow than anything else and I suspect it's how thin people eat--thin people actually forget to eat sometimes!

Old 06-09-2012, 12:50 AM

326 posts, read 704,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asitshouldbe View Post
This doesn't indicate the hours that were restricted, lets say it's 8pm- 8 am, those are the hours most people eat and we have plenty of obesity.

The abstract said the mice were only fed at night so I'll assume it was 12 hours a day access to food. We humans have better mechanisms for dealing with starvation than mice -for example our glycogen stores will last for about 6-8 hours -- so to get this same effect I'd speculate it would require eating just one super large (>3000 calorie) meal per day and that is all - I guess the man vs food guy had it right the whole time??

Old 06-09-2012, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I was hoping you'd chime in sci. Yes, IF does seem to be studied more with lab animals--probably b/c you can't pay people enough to starve, lol. And fasting is easier with rats than trying to figure out the rat equivalent of an Atkins diet. But yeah, healthwise and weightwise it seems to look promising. Maybe it works b/c you're not keeping your insulin level high all the time. For me, the weight loss will be secondary--it's the amount of energy I have and then I forget how great it was when I'm not doing it. I'll let you all know how it goes.

One thing I know, low-carb was a fail. Gluten free was a fail. Tried the cabbage soup diet once and got royally sick of the stuff and didn't lose a pound. Did that Mayo clinic diet once where you eat this totally scripted diet for 3 days and are supposed to lose 10 lbs. The only lb I lost came back the next day. You'd think I'd learn. Even if the only reason this works is from calorie restriction, it's still easier to follow than anything else and I suspect it's how thin people eat--thin people actually forget to eat sometimes!
I have a couple ideas what might be happening But I'd like to actually read the article first. hehe I would definitely say wait for more research before you begin the 12 on - 12 off diet plan

Old 06-09-2012, 06:34 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Quote:
The abstract said the mice were only fed at night so I'll assume it was 12 hours a day access to food. We humans have better mechanisms for dealing with starvation than mice -for example our glycogen stores will last for about 6-8 hours -- so to get this same effect I'd speculate it would require eating just one super large (>3000 calorie) meal per day and that is all - I guess the man vs food guy had it right the whole time??
A rat's 24-hour period is the same as a human's 24-hour period. They're both 24 hours, they both are measured by humans who use 24 hours to measure what humans call a day. No idea what rats call it - maybe it's called "squeak" to them.

I don't know about anyone else, but I stop eating for the day no later than 7pm. I don't start eating again until around 8 the following morning. So I go 13 hours without food, every day.

I'm not seeing any relevance at all to any of these studies, applied to me. I'm not seeing that I'm fatter than anyone who doesn't "fast" for 13 hours every day, I'm not seeing that I'm thinner than anyone who doesn't "fast" for 13 hours every day.

What I am seeing, is a wide variety of people, in a wide variety of levels of fitneess, health, and fatness, who -also- "fast" for 13 hours every day.

Old 06-09-2012, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
A rat's 24-hour period is the same as a human's 24-hour period. They're both 24 hours, they both are measured by humans who use 24 hours to measure what humans call a day. No idea what rats call it - maybe it's called "squeak" to them.
But you have to remember the metabolism of a mouse is different - a 12 hour fast for a mouse might be equivalent to a 20 hour fast in a human. The authors of this paper went on believing that it has to do with the circadian rhythms which is also probably different between mouse and man.

Old 06-09-2012, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post

I don't know about anyone else, but I stop eating for the day no later than 7pm. I don't start eating again until around 8 the following morning. So I go 13 hours without food, every day.

I'm not seeing any relevance at all to any of these studies, applied to me. I'm not seeing that I'm fatter than anyone who doesn't "fast" for 13 hours every day, I'm not seeing that I'm thinner than anyone who doesn't "fast" for 13 hours every day.

What I am seeing, is a wide variety of people, in a wide variety of levels of fitneess, health, and fatness, who -also- "fast" for 13 hours every day.
Well I think it's an interesting study w/o getting too much into the mechanics of how many hours the rats are going between feedings. Just the fact that they are eating the same amount of calories and getting different results is interesting to me.

I think that for me, the reason it's easier is b/c I'm not that hungry in the morning anyway so skipping breakfast is no big deal and then if I don't eat and get the juices flowing, so to speak, I don't really think about food as much anyway. There are those who postulate that this may come closer to matching what our ancestors did b/c they would have had long periods of hunger, broken up with big feasts--it's not like they could just pop something into the microwave when they were hungry or eat a bowl of cereal. Also, I ate last night at 7:00 and it's 9:00 am now and I probably won't eat anything till lunch and I feel really lean right now.

I have no immediate plans to do an all day fast but may try that sometime. I have known people who swore they kept their weight under control by doing a 1x/week fast but it wouldn't have to be strictly for weight control reasons as people have other reasons for fasting such as religion and cleansing. This would not be for everyone but so far it works better than anything else I've ever done. There was a caveat that anyone who has ever had eating disorders should not do this. I'm clear of that one but won't bring it up with my older dd.

Another observation is that it seems to calm food addictions. Last night I kept thinking about the chocolate in the cabinet and I had given myself permission to eat some if I wanted it but I never did get up the gumption to go eat some. I just figured I'd have it later. That is very unusual behavior for me. Maybe it's the putting space in between meals that causes me to think about food in a more rational manner.

Old 06-09-2012, 09:34 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,804,905 times
I do a 12-16 hr fast at least once a week (skipping breakfast). Almost 24 hours last saturday when i skipped lunch too. Too busy to eat. I dunno if it really helps with fat loss but certainly no ill effects. The 6 small meals a day thing is rubbish, or a crutch for those who need to be told to put the fork down. I know some have "low blood sugar" issues but I wouldn't be surprised if they could be weaned off that over time with proper diet. IMHO that's just pointing to another underlying issue that should be taken care of.

Old 06-09-2012, 12:03 PM

Another pound--woo hoo! 3 lbs gone just this week and that's after 8 weeks of barely successful low carb dieting and I feel better.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:55 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,990,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Another pound--woo hoo! 3 lbs gone just this week and that's after 8 weeks of barely successful low carb dieting and I feel better.
Congratulations on the loss!

You my have shared this in another thread, but I haven't seen it yet... What are you eating now if you're not doing low-carb or grain-free? Is it the usual fruits, veggies, low fat, lean meats? I'm just curious because I would not be able to do any IF if I wasn't on a pretty low carb diet; the cravings would cause me to cave and eat every time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss