Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2012, 11:24 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,284,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickSantos View Post
Medicines can cause weight gain INDEPENDENT of caloric intake and exercise. NO CHANGE WHATSOEVER
Please name one. Drugs that cause fluid retention do not count.

Quote:
Thin sterile mice who get an intenstinal flora transplant from obese mice BECOME OBESE WITH NO CHANGE WHATSOEVER IN DIET OR ACTIVITY. DID YOU KNOW THAT? OBESITY HAS A CONTAGIOUS ELEMENT.
Imteresting observation. However, it suggests that mice with different gut flora have differences in basal metabolic rates. It does not mean the obese mice would not lose weight if they were fed less.

Quote:
Anti depressants can cause wight gain because THEY ACT ON THE SAME NEURAL CIRCUITRY THAT REGULATES BODY WEIGHT ( INVOLUNTARILY) Dr. Friedman told me this.
Why do people on psychotropic meds gain weight?

Epidemiology, implications and mecha... [J Psychiatr Res. 2003 May-Jun] - PubMed - NCBI

Body weight gain frequently occurs during drug treatment of psychiatric disorders and is often accompanied by increased appetite or food craving. While occurrence and time course of this side effect are difficult to predict, it ultimately results in obesity and the morbidity associated therewith in a substantial part of patients, often causing them to discontinue treatment even if it is effective.

Quote:
WEIGHT LOSS FOLLOWS NO FORMULA, YOU IDIOT.

THE BODY COMPENSATES WITH ANYTHING YOU DO AND YOU NEVER SEE THE WEIGHT LOSS YOU WOULD " EXPECT " FROM THE CALORIE REDUCTION. THTA IS BECAUSE THERE IS FAR MORE TO IT.

DR GUYENET EXPLAINS THIS IN THE PODCAST.

LISTEN TO IT OR SHUT IT. YOU ARE THE PERSON GROSSLY UNEDUCATED ON THIS TOPIC, SUSAN.

DR. GUYENET IS ON MY SIDE.
Why do you feel that it is necessary to call people names? Why is it necessary to claim everyone is "on my side"? Who's taking sides? That's what kids do when choosing baseball teams.

Quote:
LASTLY THIS wonan became very obese WITH NO CHANGE WHATSOEVER IN DIET OR ACTIVITY. Dr Theodiore Friedman has seen this more than a few times during his career.

NGC Special on Obesity-Cushing's Segment - YouTube
Why do people with Cushing's syndrome gain weight?

Cushing's Syndrome: Signs & Symptoms

"As weight gain/obesity is one of the most earliest and troublesome signs, it is worthwhile to spend some time noting why this weight gain occurs. Excessive cortisol levels do stimulate appetite and account for the rapid weight gain that occurs with Cushing’s syndrome. There are several possible mechanisms by which patients with Cushing’s have increased appetite. Insulin resistance associated with high insulin levels may be a cause since insulin plays a regulatory role on hunger and satiety. Also, some of the adipokines (leptin, resistin, adiponectin), fat cell chemicals that affect energy regulation are affected by cortisol and may disrupt the physiological control of energy metabolism and cause increased hunger."

Weight gain is common when people take corticosteroids for medical reasons over long periods. This can cause "iatrogenic" Cushing's syndrome. Corticosteroids increase appetite, as I can attest to what happened with my son when he took them as part of his treatment for leukemia. He ate a lot, which was fine, since he needed extra nutrition.

Quote:
"People do not become obese just because portion sizes increase. it makes NO scientific sense at all" - Dr. Jeffrey FRiedman
It makes sense if some people consume those larger portion sizes.

Quote:
It is more than time for YOU to DROP your silly obesity assumptions. EVIDENCE IS WHAT SCIENCE IS ABOUT. EVIDENCE RULES.
GET A CLUE, SUSAN.

Who is Susan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 06:29 AM

525 posts, read 761,571 times
That woman had NO CHANGE in diet or activty.

SECOND, YOU NEVER EVER ADDRESSED STEPHAN GUYENET'S PODCAST BECAUSE THE INFORMATION COMPLETELY CONTRADICTS YOUR ERRONEOUS BELIEFS.

Your rebuttal was VERY POOR. You cannot accept that calories in and calories out is NOT what obesity is. If it was it WOULD HAVE BEEN SOLVED MANY YEARS BACK.

Psychiatruic journals are WRONG. DR. FRIEDMAN KNOWS THE LITERATURE. HE SAID HIMSELF THE REASON FOR WEIGHT GAIN WITH ANTI DEPRESSANTS. THEY ACT ON THE SAME NEURAL CIRCUITRY.

DR. STEPHAN GUYENET BACKS ME ON THIS TOO. THEY ARE ACTUAL OBESITY RESEARCHERS.

PHYSCHIATRY HJS LITTLE SCIENCE BEHIND WHAT THEY DO. THEY HAVE NO TESTS IN MANY OF THEIR DIAGNOSES.

YOU HAVE LOST. YOU HAVE NOT DUG INTO THIS LIKE I HAVE.

OVEREASTING AND UNDERMOVING ARE NOT THE CAUSES OF OBESITY. THIS IS CLEAR IN THE SCIENTIFIC LITERATURE:

DR. SHARMA IS ANOTHER OBESITY EXPERT. PSYCHIATRISTS ARE LAUGHABLE. THEY NEVER SHOUDL BE COMMENTING ON OBESITY.

DR. SHARMA IS THE HEAD OF THE CANADIAN OBESITY NETWORK AND KNOWS DR FRIEDMAN:

YOU HAVE A LOT OF LEARNING TO DO, SUSAN:

http://www.drsharma.ca/eating-more-calories-increases-weight-in-some-people-maybe-sometimes.html

READ UP.

Last edited by RickSantos; 10-29-2012 at 06:43 AM..

Old 10-29-2012, 06:43 AM

THE CALORIC HYPOTHESIS DOES NOT AT ALL ADDRESS:

WHAT IS LOST OR GAINED ( fat, muscle, organ mass)

HOW CALORIES ARE PARTITIONED

THERMODYNAMICS SAY NOTHING ABOUT OBESITY. TAUBES STUDIED PHYSICS AT HARVARD. HE UNDERSTAND THERMODYNAMICS FAR BETTER THAN YOU DO, SUSAN.

RICHARD FEYNMAN STEPHEN HAWKING, LENORAD SUSSKIND- THEY ALL WOULD LAUGH AT YOU FOR THINKING OBESITY IS A PHYSIOCS PROBLEM.

DO YOU REALLY THINK THESE PHYSICISTS ARE STUPID? DO YOU THIN EINSTEIN WAS NOT SMART ENOUGH TO CHOOSE HIS WEGHT?

ENSTEIN WAS CHUBBY AT TIMES. BODY WEIGHT IS COMPLEX. EINSTEIN OBVIOUSLY COULD NOT "CHOOSE" HIS AND HE WAS FAR SMARTER THAN ANYBODY ON HERE0- FAR SMARTER THAN ANY MOST DOCTORS.

YOU ARE POSITING A CLOSED SYSTEM WHERE NONE EXISTS. THE HUMAN BODY IS NOT A CLOSED SYSTEM.

ACTUAL PHYSICISTS KNOW OBESITY IS A BIOLOGICAL PROBLEM

Also :

when people get seriouis diseases they get super skinny idependent of claoric intake.

Some ARE eating fairly well, BUT THEY GET STICK SKINNY BEYOND THER CONTROL.

I HAVE KNOWN MANY IN MY LIFE.

THAT SAME SICKLY PERSON, IF THEY WERE HEALTHY , COULD SEMI STARVE THEMSELVES AND NOT GET ANYWHERE NEAR AS THIN AS WHEN THEY GOT SICK. ( and they are not even trying at all when they are sick, nor are they necessarily eating much less)

I HAVE MANY RELATIVES THIS HAS HAPOPNED TO- FEMALES. MOST OF THEM DID NONSENSE DIETING IN THE PAST BEFORE THEY GOT SICK

UNEXPLAINED WEIGHT LOSS.

I HAVE SEEN THIS FIRST HAND MANY TIMES.

YOU CANNOT EXPLAIN THIS. AND NEITHER CAN I. AND NEITHER CAN DR. FRIEDMAN

WEIGHT IS BEYOND POEPLE'S CONTROL FOR THE MOST PART.

MOST WE ONLY CONTROL A NARROW RANGE OF ABOUT 5 TO 10 P-OUNDS

N HUMANS AND ANIMALS WEIGHT IS REGULATED JUST LIKE BLOOD RPESSURE AND THE LIKE- INVOLUNTARILY.

A GREAT ANALOGY IS BREATHING.

BREATHING IS INVOLUNTARY MOSTLY. IT MACTHES UP WITH WEIGHT FOR THE PROPORTIONS.

YOU HAVE LOST THIS DEBATE. YOU ARE ONLY BEING ARGUMENTATIVE. I HAVE TOP CONTACTS ON THE SUBJECT. I RAISE EXTREMELY VALID POINTS.

Last edited by RickSantos; 10-29-2012 at 06:52 AM..

Old 10-29-2012, 07:02 AM

Albert Einstein and other chubby physicists , had NO SAY in their weight ( other than 5 pounds less or so). Their body was their body.

There are MANY thin people OVEREATING, eating WHAT they want WHEN they want, NOT exercising and NOT AT ALL going through the misguided HELL that overweight people do eating less and moving more. THEY SIMPLY ARE NATURALLY THIN AND LIVE THEIR LIVES .

Naturally thin 180 pounders can EAT FAR MORE than a dieted down 180 pounder and not go through hell at all AS DR LEIBEL'S EXTREMELY THOROUGH RESEARCH HAS SHOWN

Eat less, move more is based on an EXTREMELY POOR understanding of obesity. IN FACT, IT IS LAUGHABLE.

THIS DOCUMENTARY SHOWS HOW THIS LITTLE ASIAN KID ATE 5,000 EXTRA CALORIS FOR A MONTH AND BARELY GAINED ANYTHNG: WHAT HE DID GAIN WAS ALL MUSCLE. THIS KID LOOKED FAR BETTER AT THE END OF THE STUDY THEN DID BEFORE HE WAS OVEREATING.

"WHY THIN PEOPLE ARE NOT FAT"

Why Are Thin People Not Fat 7/7 - YouTube

LISTEN TO DR. LEIBEL CAREFULLY. 2: 16 CAREFULLY!

THE SCIENTSTS ARE ON MY SIDE, NOT YOURS.

OVERFEEDING STUDIES HAVE BEEN DONE. THEY ALL LOSE WEIGHT AGAN FAST EXCEPT THEONES WHO HAVE A HISTORY OF OBESITY IN THEIRT FAMILY.

G E N E S.

OBESITY IS NOT NOT NOT A SIMPLE CONDITION OF OVEREATING. REGARDLES OF WHAT YOU BELIEVE, THE SCIENCE DOES NOT SUPPORT THIS.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:07 AM

i am very well versed on this topic. Dr. Guyenet and dr. Friedman respect my knowledge as a layman.

Calories in /calories out is DOGMA, NOT science. IT DOES NOT COME FROM SCIENCE- AT ALL. YOU MUST UNDERSTANSD THIS IMPORTANT POINT.

FAT CELL REGULATION is what we NEED to undersand to even begin to understand obesity.

The BehavioraL Hypothesis of obesity is NOT a hypothesis that has as lot of scientific evidence. It has LITTLE TO NONE. DR. GUYENET'S VIEW HAS A TON OF EVIDENCE. SCIENCE HAS TURNED UP MANY NEW THINGS BAOUT OBESITY IN THE LAST FEW YEARS - NONE OF THESE NEW THINGS HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH BEHAVIOR AT ALL.

We do NOT understand fat cell regulation that well at all. And we know NOTHING about the chemical behavior of fat cell receptors.

The UNKNOWNS about obesity would FILL THE PACIFIC OCEAN, the knowns would barely fill a large glass of water.

LISTEN TO STEPHAN GUYENET'S PODCAST , SUSAN.

GUYENET IS ON MY PAGE. AND HE IS FAR MORE QUALIFIED THAN THE BOTH OF US TO COMMENT.

REMEMBER OBSCURE PSYCHIATRIC JOURNAL ARTICLES HAVE NO BUSINESS WHATSOEVER COMMENTING ON CUSHING'S DISEASE OR BODY WEIGHT- NONE. PSYCHIATRY HAS A LOT OF PSEUDOSCIENCE AND FRAUD

STICK TO OBESITY RESEARCHERS.

OBESITY IS A FAILURE OF FAT CELL REGULATION WITH MANY, MANY ,MANY CAUSES- MOST OF WHICH ARE UNKNWON.

Last edited by RickSantos; 10-29-2012 at 08:29 AM..

Old 10-29-2012, 08:53 AM

People with a slow thyroid , messed up adrenal glands, hormones can get fat on 800 calories a day even with exercise.

Many medications in the anti depressant class can ALTER METABOLISM . DIG A BIT. Increased appetite is NOT an explanation for ALL these drugs' ability to cuse weight gain.

The scientists I speak to are FAR BETTER QUALIFIED TO INTERPRET THE DATA than you or I. I SPEAK DIRECTLY TO THEM BY email . CONSEQUENTLY, I HAVE A DEEPER INSIGHT AND UNDERSTANDING OF THIS COMPLEX PROBLEM THAN YOU DO, AND I AM VERIFIED. THEY ARE ON MY PAGE. They would correct me if they were not.

FEEDING IS A SUBCONSCIOUSLY DRIVEN BEHAVIOR MOSTLY. THE SUBCONSCIOUS CAN OVERRIDE THE CONSCIOUS . BIOLOGY WINS OUT IN THE LON GTERM. BLAMING THE OBESE FOR GENUINE INCREASED APPETITE ( from SOME medicines or by their genetic makeup) HUNGER MAKE ZERO SCIENTIFIC SENSE.

MANY thin people STUFF themselves and do NOT get denigrated for it. We do not even have DATA that shows fat people eat differently than thin people. MANY fat poeple are NOT eating more. ALL of the thin friends I have , have LARGER APPETITES than my fat friends.

READ THE ENTIRE ARTICLE:

Current anti obesity campaigns are completely USELESS ( not based on any evidence ) and dieting does NOT work:

http://www.lindabacon.org/pdf/NewZea...erJuly2012.pdf

Yuo are the VICTIM of the commercial weight loss industry's misinformation, Susan. NONE of what they do is science. They simplify a COMPLEX BIOLOGICAL PROBELM and MISUSE physics.

Last edited by RickSantos; 10-29-2012 at 09:15 AM..

Old 10-29-2012, 09:57 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,074,327 times
Hey Rick, I got a real simple question for you.

If obesity is the incredibly complex problem you say it is, and "calories in/calories out" is wrong, then why have people used it to such great success for literally decades now?

Please, riddle me that.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:30 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,284,508 times
I still want to know who Susan is.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:39 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,019,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Hey Rick, I got a real simple question for you.

If obesity is the incredibly complex problem you say it is, and "calories in/calories out" is wrong, then why have people used it to such great success for literally decades now?

Please, riddle me that.
With obesity rates among adults in the US at 35% and overweight adults exceeding 60%, one might reasonably question the efficacy of the standard advice to simply "eat less and move more."

Old 10-29-2012, 10:43 AM

467 posts, read 665,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
With obesity rates among adults in the US at 35% and overweight adults exceeding 60%, one might reasonably question the efficacy of the standard advice to simply "eat less and move more."
In the late 2000s, I ate a very moderate amount of food- probably less than 1200 calories some days even- walked hours and hours per week and still had a body fat percentage over 25% due to grains. I'm MUCH slimmer even on higher calories without grains. Movement hasn't made THAT much difference I've noticed over about 25 years of exercising regularly; it's mostly what you eat and how much, and exercise helps only once you manage those two things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss