Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2012, 07:50 AM

525 posts, read 760,495 times

Advertisements

It is VERY OBVIOUS by now that the Caloric Hypothesis of obesity is a DEAD HORSE in the world of science. We now know enough to DISCARD it. It is not supported by the EVIDENCE .

A very recent study from The University of Pennsylvania has shown mice BECAME OBESE WITHOUT-WITHOUT the consumption of more calories. They fed them at UNNATURAL TIMES:

It's Not Just What You Eat, But When You Eat It: Penn Study Shows Link Between Fat Cell and Brain Clock Molecules

Members of this site like SuziQ are dogmatic and uneducated about the essence of science. They speak from BELIEF SYSTEMS, NOT evidence from experiments.

There are around 3 or 4 others like this study ( where you can fatten mice WITHOUT more calories) I have seen on ScienceDaily.

Lastly, we've reason to suspect the First Law may ONLY apply under certain special circumstances and not others. In General Relativity energy is NOT conserved. The First law does NOT apply on the COSMIC SCALE. Energy is not conserved in an EXPANDNG universe.

Then there is the HUGE QUESTION OF DARK ENERGY AND DARK MATTER.

MUCH remains to be learned about energy and matter. How will DARK ENERGY illuminate our understanding of physics? It is POSSIBLE the First Law will may be discarded eventually.

In science , BOTH theories AND laws could be shown to be wrong at some poin if there are data to suggest so.

P.S. Obesity is more heritable than ANY OTHER MEDICAL CONDITION known. It is only a SMIDGEN beneath height, if that. It is possibly equal to height. EXPERIMENTS have demonstrated this. The EVIDENCE shows us this.

SuziQ rolls her eyes because she is UNFAMILIAR with the literature and has BELIEF SYSTEMS.

Ask ANY obesity scientist: Friedman, Liebel, Coleman ,Rosenbaum. They ALL ACKNOWLEDGE that obesity IS AS HERITABLE AS HEIGHT ( or a smidgen below it).

Studies on international samples of monozygotic twins reared apart, as well as many others, support this. The EVIDENCE FROM EXPERIMENTS support that obesity is overwhelmingly genetic. NUMEROUS GENETIC STUDIES ( from geneticist Dr. Jeffrey Friedman) support this.

Last edited by RickSantos; 12-13-2012 at 08:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 08:12 AM

37,101 posts, read 41,233,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickSantos View Post
It is VERY OBVIOUS by now that the Caloric Hypothesis of obesity is a DEAD HORSE in the world of science. We now know enough to DISCARD it. It is not supported by the EVIDENCE .

A very recent study from The University of Pennsylvania has shown mice BECAME OBESE WITHOUT-WITHOUT the consumption of more calories. They fed them at UNNATURAL TIMES:

It's Not Just What You Eat, But When You Eat It: Penn Study Shows Link Between Fat Cell and Brain Clock Molecules

Members of this site like SuziQ are dogmatic and uneducated about the essence of science. They speak from BELIEF SYSTEMS, NOT evidence from experiments.

There are around 3 or 4 others like this study ( where you can fatten mice WITHOUT more calories) I have seen on ScienceDaily.

Lastly, we've reason to suspect the First Law may ONLY apply under certain special circumstances and not others. In General Relativity energy is NOT conserved. The First law does NOT apply on the COSMIC SCALE. Energy is not conserved in an EXPANDNG universe.

Then there is the HUGE QUESTION OF DARK ENERGY AND DARK MATTER.

MUCH remains to be learned about energy and matter. How will DARK ENERGY illuminate our understanding of physics? It is POSSIBLE the First Law will may be discarded eventually.

In science , BOTH theories AND laws could be shown to be wrong at some poin if there are data to suggest so.

P.S. Obesity is more heritable than ANY OTHER MEDICAL CONDITION only a SMIDGEN beneath height if that. It is possibly equal to height. EXPERIMENTS sdhow this. The EVIDENCE shows us this.

SuziQ rolls her eyes because she is UNFAMILIAR with the literature. Ask ANY obesity scientist Friedman, Liebel, Coleman Rosenbaum. They ALL ACKNOWLEDGE that obesity IS AS HERITABLE AS HEIGHT ( or a smidgen below it).

Studies on international samples of monozygotic twins reared apart, and many others, support this. EVIDENCE supports this. NUMEROUS GENETIC STUDIES ( from geneticist Dr. Jeffrey Friedman) support this.
The article is extremely interesting. Thank you.

However, it is helpful in elucidating the mechanisms of energy management, and it does not negate the fact that if you reduce energy intake and increase energy expenditure, you will lose weight.

I am not going to pay $32 to buy the entire article, but I doubt that the authors will make the claim that for humans, who can control intake and expenditure, that weight is totally unmanageable for the majority of us. It will be interesting to see if some humans will have similar genetic abnormalities to those in the experimental mice. I would not be surprised if that turns out to be true. If so, then it will tell us why some people do have more trouble losing weight and keeping it off.

The mice in the study were all fed the same number of calories. What we do not know is what happens if the obese mice were to be fed fewer calories. If that were to be done, at some point they would have to lose weight. Otherwise, you would have mice that could not be starved to death. Do you really think that is possible?

Old 12-13-2012, 08:21 AM

Exercise does virtually nothing for weight loss. I have traveled extensively and all the exercisers I see are almost all overweight. Also, there are MANY active obese people I see everyday- to the tune of 400 pounds- in many cities I have been to.

Exercise did NOTHING for their obesity, but is most likely helping their overall health.

The persons' diet has much more to do with it. It is almost all energy in s Dr Sharma pointed out.

However, the obese subjects in Dr. Liebel's study from 1984 ATE LESS than the thin controls YET CONTINUED to GAIN. What are they supposed to do, reduce their calories to 600 or less? Don't assume all of the obese eat more.

There are PLENTY of 5 foot 100 pound women eating WELL at McDonald's. I saw many overweight people eating very reasonable portions. The THIN women I saw ate more than me ( I'm 6'2" and a well muscled and defined 220 due to GENES . I have the GENES for a muscular leaner body) on many days.

I travel extensively and take note. You assume all thin people are "eating less and exercising more" which is FALSE. MOST are most likely not. They are living their lives and are NATURALLY THIN. Their are PLENTY OF prissy housewives who do not lift a finger who are LEAN

There are PLENTY of hard working MAIDS busting thei buttocks everyday and REMAIN FAT.

WE HAVE VERY LIMITED control of our body fat. THE BODY is MAINLY in control up to 80 to 90 % The REMAINING 10 % is up to us.

BODYWEIGHT IS OVERWHELMINGLY INVOLUNTARY. THIS IS WHAT THE EVIDENCE CURRENTLY SHOWS SCIENTISTS.

OBESE PEOPLE SHOULD NOT BE BLAMED. SCIENCE DOES NOT DEFEND BLAMERS.

RICHARD FEYNMAN SAYS "EVERYTHING IS POSSIBLY WRONG, LET US SEE." THAT man KNEW SCIENCE.

Last edited by RickSantos; 12-13-2012 at 08:35 AM..

Old 12-13-2012, 08:28 AM

the future of science is fat cell behavior, not calories .

Old 12-13-2012, 08:38 AM

4,649 posts, read 4,970,102 times
What's with the colors and randomly capitalized words, guy? You have a point, but when you write like a schizophrenic, you scare people.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:39 AM

In science, BOTH theories and laws could be shown to be wrong at some point if there are data to suggest it.

There is NO HEIRARCHY WHATSOEVER. They are completely different animals that serve very different roles.

In science, laws CAN CHANGE JUST AS EASILY as theories. In science, laws are not "better than" or "above" theories.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:40 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,162,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickSantos View Post
Exercise does virtually nothing for weight loss. I have traveled extensively and all the exercisers I see are almost all overweight. Also, there are MANY active obese people I see everyday- to the tune of 400 pounds- in many cities I have been to.

Exercise did NOTHING for their obesity, but is most likely helping their overall health.

The persons' diet has much more to do with it. It is almost all energy in s Dr Sharma pointed out.

However, the obese subjects in Dr. Liebel's study from 1984 ATE LESS than the thin controls YET CONTINUED to GAIN. What are they supposed to do, reduce their calories to 600 or less? Don't assume all of the obese eat more.

There are PLENTY of 5 foot 100 pound women eating WELL at McDonald's. I saw many overweight people eating very reasonable portions. The THIN women I saw ate more than me ( I'm 6'2" and a well muscled and defined 220 due to GENES . I have the GENES for a muscular leaner body) on many days.

I travel extensively and take note. You assume all thin people are "eating less and exercising more" which is FALSE. MOST are most likely not. They are living their lives and are NATURALLY THIN. Their are PLENTY OF prissy housewives who do not lift a finger who are LEAN

There are PLENTY of hard working MAIDS busting thei buttocks everyday and REMAIN FAT.

WE HAVE VERY LIMITED control of our body fat. THE BODY is MAINLY in control up to 80 to 90 % The REMAINING 10 % is up to us.

BODYWEIGHT IS OVERWHELMINGLY INVOLUNTARY. THIS IS WHAT THE EVIDENCE CURRENTLY SHOWS SCIENTISTS.

OBESE PEOPLE SHOULD NOT BE BLAMED. SCIENCE DOES NOT DEFEND BLAMERS.

RICHARD FEYNMAN SAYS "EVERYTHING IS POSSIBLY WRONG, LET US SEE." THAT man KNEW SCIENCE.
Since fewer people were obese 20, 30, 40 years ago does this mean with a declining birth rate that most of the breeding in the US is happening among already obese people?

Old 12-13-2012, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
What's with the colors and randomly capitalized words, guy? You have a point, but when you write like a schizophrenic, you scare people.

It's part of my schtick. LOL !

Old 12-13-2012, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Since fewer people were obese 20, 30, 40 years ago does this mean with a declining birth rate that most of the breeding in the US is happening among already obese people?

Obesity was always around. The numbers are skewed. People are more sensitized to it now. Thin peopel are exactly the same and have not gained. The only difference is among the obese themselvesd- they are about 7 pounds more now than in 1990.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:14 AM

37,101 posts, read 41,233,915 times
So why are hospitals having to buy bigger wheelchairs, bigger beds, and bigger operating tables?

One of our local hospitals has installed reinforced pedestals under wall mounted toilets.

The scales in my obstetrician's office in the 1970s maxed out at 250 pounds. Now they go to 350 in my gynecologist's office.

Obesity, and especially morbid obesity, has definitely increased:

Increases in morbid obesity in the USA: 2000

People are getting fatter at younger ages:

Getting Heavier, Younger: Trajectories of Obesity over the Life Course

So do not try to tell us there is no increase in obesity.

Even a trip to Walmart will tell you it's not true. Just look around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss