Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2012, 01:56 PM

4,241 posts, read 7,179,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
sometimes it's the attitudes of those around you that can make it harder. My mom is always saying that i'm too skinny and trying to get me to eat bad foods. what she doesn't realize is that i'm actually within the HIGH NORMAL end for my age height and gender.
...had the same experience (in my case my ma trys to get me to eat more...seconds & larger portions..as well as stuff that will put on weight). I tell her she's 10 lbs overweight....oh well....

@@@

Little Dolphin is right. Dr Kessler wrote about that in his book "The End of Overeating"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 04:23 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,496,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
As long as it isn't 1500 calories in doughnuts!

I could do that but that would not benefit me. I would be tiered and hungry all day. Not worth it.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:38 AM

1,301 posts, read 2,111,264 times
I feel sorry for people who go on some of these godawful diets to try and lose weight. Chances are you won't stick with them, and you'll end up wondering why you gained all the weight back if you do lose any.

Hit the wights hard and do your cardio and you'll be fine, and have a damn Coke (not 5 or 6) if you want one for crying out loud. Just don't over indulge yourself or be a couch potato.

I can eat anything I want and never gain a pound. I also haven't been seriously ill since I was a kid; and yeah, I'll take Pizza Hut or McDonald's over fruits and veggies nine times out of ten; and no, I'm not fat, not even close to it.

These foods have been around for a long time, even back before the obesity crisis (if you want to call it that). You really think everyone was eating organic stuff and raw veggies back in the day?

Most people would do themselves a big favor if they simply, as previously stated, didn't overindulge and got off their butts and started moving. That beats the latest crappy Doctor Oz diet any day of the week.

Old 02-11-2012, 05:08 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,280,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achickenchaser View Post

I can eat anything I want and never gain a pound. I also haven't been seriously ill since I was a kid; and yeah, I'll take Pizza Hut or McDonald's over fruits and veggies nine times out of ten; and no, I'm not fat, not even close to it.
Congrats. How old are you? How healthy are you? You know, internally?

Healthy eating is not just for the outside, you know. And even if you can get away with McDonalds now, sooner or later you are going to pay in one way or another.

Pizza Hut and McDonalds have been around longer than fruits and vegetables?

Errr...yes, we ate fruits and vegetables back in the day. And the only reason that we consider that stuff organic now is because of the way that farming techniques have changed. What is organic today was just naturally grown back then.

Enjoy your pizza and Big Macs, and I truly hope that you are still bragging about your ability to eat endless amounts of junk foods without effect when you are in your sixties.

Old 02-12-2012, 05:55 AM

1,047 posts, read 3,990,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post

Healthy eating is not just for the outside, you know. And even if you can get away with McDonalds now, sooner or later you are going to pay in one way or another.

Errr...yes, we ate fruits and vegetables back in the day. And the only reason that we consider that stuff organic now is because of the way that farming techniques have changed. What is organic today was just naturally grown back then.

Enjoy your pizza and Big Macs, and I truly hope that you are still bragging about your ability to eat endless amounts of junk foods without effect when you are in your sixties.
Thank you! This is THE point I always try to make as well! It's not only about HOW WE LOOK! I am naturally thin and could probably eat junk food a lot more than I do without gaining weight. However, my goal is to live to a HEALTHY 100 years old and FEEL great doing it. Not as concerned about how I look, although I am proud to be in shape at my age, I do work at that also. I want to remain disease free by not consuming the things that I believe bring about disease in the body...chemicals, sugar, unhealthy fats, etc. Spend time reading about the habits of centenarians. They do not consume unhealthy foods, they may eat meat once a week at most, they do not over eat, they move about and WORK everyday, they spend time with family and friends, they are not stressed out. Some of these things you may not have do not have total control over. But, the eating part you do. Instead of obsessing about what we look like, start to visualize what is happening inside your body. Realize how GOOD you can feel when you don't eat junk. It's not just about not gaining weight!

Old 02-14-2012, 09:29 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,269,902 times
Here is something to hopefully inspire: How Two Valentines Lost 285 Pounds Together | Healthy Living - Yahoo! Shine

Old 02-14-2012, 10:39 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,076,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
That's impressive. Me and the girl I am seeing are both pretty fit but we've lost about 20lbs (14 for me, 6 for her) since we got together.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:46 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,848,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post

I think the point was that even if you'd rather eat a Big Mac than a salad, small infrequent indulgences aren't going to derail a healthy lifestyle. I like food too much to be a food nazi, but 13 days of healthy eating with lots of movement is going to trump one day of poor eating and being lazy.

Old 02-14-2012, 03:29 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,280,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
I think the point was that even if you'd rather eat a Big Mac than a salad, small infrequent indulgences aren't going to derail a healthy lifestyle. I like food too much to be a food nazi, but 13 days of healthy eating with lots of movement is going to trump one day of poor eating and being lazy.
That wasn't her point, but I agree with you.

Old 02-15-2012, 04:12 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,053,608 times
Knowing what you need to do and doing it are two different things.

I don't have a weight issue, but I do suffer from SAD (I live in Oregon, but I'm not from here...). I have always been a healthy eater (worked at Whole Foods for 10+ years and totally drank the company KoolAid - and loved it!)... but one year I decided to follow my heart and gut and do all vegan raw/living food.

I went a whole year... lost 35 pounds (and I didn't need to lose the weight...) and felt absolutely wonderful. Didn't suffer from SAD that long winter, my body temperature regulated itself better (I was never cold... and in the summer I hardly ever felt the heat... it was the coolest thing!), my skin was glowing, sex even got better. I had tons of energy, I just simply felt amazing.

However... I'm a mother who does 99% of the shopping/preparing/cooking for a family of four and I was the only one doing this raw food thing...

...and we only have the one refrigerator! lol

Needless to say, it became too expensive and too time consuming keeping up with my raw food lifestyle in addition to meeting my husband and kids needs as well. The fridge was a constant mess and it was hard fitting everything in it with the two different types of foods we were all eating.

I gave it up... mostly. I still do mostly raw/vegan but not 100% like before.

I gained the 35 lbs back, I'm cold all the time, and this winter I am fighting SAD big-time.

I am aching for the day when the kids are grown and I can go back to my preferred dietary lifestyle.

If I was rich... I'd buy a second fridge and hire a raw food chef to keep me stocked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss