Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2012, 05:04 PM

16 posts, read 31,259 times

Advertisements

Plateaus happen in weight loss because of leptin levels which affects their progress. Leptin is basically a 'fat burning hormone'. After a period of dieting, our leptin levels drop, that's why our fat loss can never be so consistent, such as losing X amount/week for lets say 10 weeks.

The way to increase this leptin is to increase our daily caloric intake perhaps once a week, to 'kick start' the hormone production to ensure optimum fat is being lost.

That's why some people could diet for so long and plateau and get never get out of it. Learn to take a step back to move forward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 05:54 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,823,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
You're not familiar with the concept of "plateau", are you?
Of course I know about plateauing. But bingeing one day a week is not recommended, nor will it work for everyone. A better way to deal with a plateau is to change your exercise routine. Do something different, add more intensity, exercise more.
No one is saying that you cannot occasionally eat more once a week, but a planned day to eat more is probably counterproductive for most people. Notice I said most, and not all.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:45 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,791,992 times
There's also a -huge- difference between "increase your caloric intake once a week" and "binge."

Increasing your caloric intake could mean nothing more complicated than having an extra orange. Or a tablespoon of blue cheese dressing instead of your usual lemon juice and olive oil. Or a glass of wine after dinner, or a weekly hershey bar. Or even a plate of refried beans and a chicken taco with cheese, instead of some lean protein and raw veggies.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:10 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,178,863 times
Im finding that at-work snacking is contributing to my plateau...adding btw 100 to 200 calories due to snacks

Old 02-17-2012, 03:44 PM

71 posts, read 125,351 times
I am sorry but this is nonsense. I have done the above still could not manage to lose any weight. I was exercising for hours a day and ate 6 small meals that "experts" have recommended. What works for one person may not work for another. It took me a whole year and a lot of money to figure that out. If it works for you then keep at it, but if it does not like in my case you will have to find another option.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber1964 View Post
I am sorry but this is nonsense. I have done the above still could not manage to lose any weight. I was exercising for hours a day and ate 6 small meals that "experts" have recommended. What works for one person may not work for another. It took me a whole year and a lot of money to figure that out. If it works for you then keep at it, but if it does not like in my case you will have to find another option.
What I would like to know is what your diet was, be honest. What your exercise routine was, again be honest. And what what your starting weight was. How long did you stay on it without stopping and if you lost any weight at all.

And of course what are your expectations when it comes to how much you want to lose and how fast you want to lose it. You see I am having a real hard time believing you consistently ate a certain amount calories and exercised at a moderate to intense rate for a period of time long enough to produce real results.

Old 02-17-2012, 06:24 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,265,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Of course I know about plateauing. But bingeing one day a week is not recommended, nor will it work for everyone. A better way to deal with a plateau is to change your exercise routine. Do something different, add more intensity, exercise more.
No one is saying that you cannot occasionally eat more once a week, but a planned day to eat more is probably counterproductive for most people. Notice I said most, and not all.
Nah, your body needs a wake up call once a week. The one day a week when you can eat what you want doesnt mean you have to eat unitl you puke, it just means that you can have a burger and fries that day if you want. Eat some popcorn at the theater, just enjoy your food. Ive lost 28 pounds, and I am NEVER hungry.

Old 02-17-2012, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
Nah, your body needs a wake up call once a week. The one day a week when you can eat what you want doesnt mean you have to eat unitl you puke, it just means that you can have a burger and fries that day if you want. Eat some popcorn at the theater, just enjoy your food. Ive lost 28 pounds, and I am NEVER hungry.
Gee I lost 40 lbs years ago and never did that. I was never hungry either because I ate healthy foods that satisfied me that were and are very delicious. I never plateaued and never had cravings for crap food. As a result I eat very healthy now and rich, greasy foods do not attract me. In fact if I eat them I feel terrible. I like my way better. But hey, if it works for you then work it. Just do not say your way is the way to go for everyone. A lot of people will try that and never be able to go back to the routine of healthy eating.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:11 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,265,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Gee I lost 40 lbs years ago and never did that. I was never hungry either because I ate healthy foods that satisfied me that were and are very delicious. I never plateaued and never had cravings for crap food. As a result I eat very healthy now and rich, greasy foods do not attract me. In fact if I eat them I feel terrible. I like my way better. But hey, if it works for you then work it. Just do not say your way is the way to go for everyone. A lot of people will try that and never be able to go back to the routine of healthy eating.
would you like to put in quotes were I said my way was better than anybody else s way...who cares what you did by the way. Im a dude, and a dude enjoys a burger once in a while. Why are you trolling on here anyway, if you lost it years ago, are you trying to be some kind of all knowing expert that we all need to hear from? What...I cant suggest my alternate method to your all knowing perfect way?

Old 02-17-2012, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
would you like to put in quotes were I said my way was better than anybody else s way...who cares what you did by the way. Im a dude, and a dude enjoys a burger once in a while. Why are you trolling on here anyway, if you lost it years ago, are you trying to be some kind of all knowing expert that we all need to hear from? What...I cant suggest my alternate method to your all knowing perfect way?
I am still interested in diet and fitness. Its how I stay healthy. You implied your way was better. That was pretty evident. I think whatever works for a person is what they should do. But everyone is different and no 1 way is the right way.
No need for you to get your shorts in a wad over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss