Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2011, 09:27 AM

858 posts, read 2,992,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
There are lots of different ways and methods to losing weight and getting healthy, but I think what is key, as I have said over and over and over is eliminating sugar in all of its forms and establishing a regular vigorous exercise routine.

For the people who say things like "Oh I dont want to deprive myself......", I say you will forever be fat. If you think of eating healthy as deprivation then you are mentally ill.
Eliminating sugar in all forms may work for you, but is not totally necessary to lose and maintain weight.

Your "I say you will forever be fat" is your opinion, but not obviously not the truth.

One can be in perfect health using sugar, in moderation of course!

You appear to have some good ideas, but your delivery is way off the mark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 10:22 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,558,913 times
"For the people who say things like "Oh I dont want to deprive myself......", I say you will forever be fat. If you think of eating healthy as deprivation then you are mentally ill."

I dont think of eating healthy as deprivation, but then I dont think eating healthy means not eating fruit. And while I try to avoid added sugar/cornsyrup, im not maniacal about it.

Oh, and I got down to goal weight in May, and am still there.

Old 09-16-2011, 05:00 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,796,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
"For the people who say things like "Oh I dont want to deprive myself......", I say you will forever be fat. If you think of eating healthy as deprivation then you are mentally ill."

I dont think of eating healthy as deprivation, but then I dont think eating healthy means not eating fruit. And while I try to avoid added sugar/cornsyrup, im not maniacal about it.

Oh, and I got down to goal weight in May, and am still there.
Then again its really not depriving yourself of it if you enjoy the food.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:40 PM

270 posts, read 488,031 times
Lao, you're a truly depressive person. If you're such an expert on all of this (and your own fitness does not mean you're the most perfect person in the world by the way), then why don't you try to help people who need it rather than making them feel WORSE? I come to this site for advice and all I find on here is your derision. What have fat people ever done to you? Do they come and sit on you every day? Do they smear food all over their fat bodies in front of you? I guess I don't understand what would make you come on here on a daily basis and be so completely hateful to people who couldn't possibly have done anything to you, because I just don't see how OTHER people being fat affects ME...maybe you could explain that to me, because I just don't get it.

I can't stand when people smoke around me. Maybe I should start post after post about how awful and weak and inconsiderate smokers are. Maybe I should explain to these people that smoking is so terribly bad for them and they should just quit it, for their own health. And for mine, since I certainly hate breathing in their nasty, disgusting smoke. But what good would that do anyone? Smokers make the choice to smoke, they make the choice to be unhealthy...all that I need to do when it affects ME is to ask them not to smoke in my house/car. Otherwise, it's none of my business. Why don't you do the same?

Old 09-20-2011, 10:42 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,951,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh2009 View Post
Lao, you're a truly depressive person. If you're such an expert on all of this (and your own fitness does not mean you're the most perfect person in the world by the way), then why don't you try to help people who need it rather than making them feel WORSE?
I come here to offer my advice to people and to learn myself. My viewpoint is that I can always learn something new from any and everyone. My personal expertise IS in exercise/fitness and martial arts. Have been working with and helping people in these areas for almost 20 years.

My efforts are NOT to make people feel worse, I offer advice on issues of exercise/fitness/nutrition/weight loss. This is something that I have dedicated my life to and is a very serious issue with me. I think my body of work here (and rep count) speaks for itself. Maybe I am cut from the Jillian Michaels school of hard knocks training, but its worked for me and hundreds of people Ive worked with in the past so its a proven forumula. And, part of my personality. My intentions are good, but lets face it, we are not babies here who need coddling. I give to-the-point advice and it is almost always VERY GOOD advice. My delivery could possibly be less harsh but hey, thats me.

I dont think I have EVER been purposefully mean to anyone. I dont think that calling someone FAT who knows they are fat and who is seeking advice because they no longer want to be fat, mean.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:42 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,558,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
. My intentions are good, but lets face it, we are not babies here who need coddling.
How exactly do YOU know who we are or what we need? Even the bravest need coddling on some days. Some need it often.

Maybe you think harshness and calling people fat are worthwhile techniques.

Weight Watchers does not. They have helped millions of people.

Old 09-21-2011, 06:29 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,246,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
How exactly do YOU know who we are or what we need? Even the bravest need coddling on some days. Some need it often.
I like Lao's approach better. My dream fitness mentor would be a cross between Jillian Michaels and Jeff's wife Susie on Curb Your Enthusiasm: "Get moving you fat....."

Old 09-21-2011, 07:24 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,451,099 times
Actually Lao has toned A LOT since he first started posting on CD. He's blunt, but he does offer a lot of good advice. Much better than other people who offer bluntness and nothing else.

Old 09-21-2011, 01:43 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,951,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
Actually Lao has toned A LOT since he first started posting on CD. He's blunt, but he does offer a lot of good advice. Much better than other people who offer bluntness and nothing else.
LOL. Thanks. Its been almost one year (October 11, 2010) since I last received an infraction on CD. Im so much nicer, more gentle, some would even call me super sweet. Thanks to the occasional kick-in-the-rear by the likes of ImportersWife, SierraAZ, JustJulia, etc. who like to slap me back into line when I stray. I really do owe my kinder and more peaceful ways to them. They are the true heroes, not me.

Old 09-21-2011, 05:14 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,260,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIamtooB View Post
None of you are right and I'll bet most of you are fit. The old "eat less, exercise more" is simply nonsence for all of us who are genetically inclined to be fat. We can't lose it the same way you do but we CAN lose it if we go low carb way of eating. Sugar and fat isn't the problem for us... it's carbs. Even the carbs in so-called "healthy" foods such as whole grain and orange juice. Our bodies turn ALL carbs into stores of fat that the body will never get around to burning because we keep feeding it carbs. So quit putting us down and instead, when someone fails as simple "eating less and exercising more" suggest they try a low carb diet.
Perhaps, but if you are relying on a diet alone and are not taking advantage of the benefits of vigorous, consistent exercise that's like "going hunting and forgetting your rifle" IMO!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss