Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2011, 12:03 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,527,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I like Lao's approach better. My dream fitness mentor would be a cross between Jillian Michaels and Jeff's wife Susie on Curb Your Enthusiasm: "Get moving you fat....."
LOL, that made me totally ROTFL imagining Susie like a sargent saying "get your as$ moving you fat......"
she is hilarious.
And scary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 03:15 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
A new study says the 3500 calories=1 pound thing isn't quite so accurate.

Here is a link from the AP:

Quote:
In an interview, Hall said the longstanding assumption that cutting 3,500 calories will produce a one-pound weight loss indefinitely is inaccurate and can produce discouraging results both for dieters and for policy changes like the proposed tax on sugar-sweetened beverages.
If the 3,500-calorie rule applied consistently in real life, it would result in twice the weight loss that the new model predicts, the authors wrote. This helps to explain why even the most diligent dieters often fail to reach weight loss goals that were based on the old rule.
A more realistic result, he said, is that cutting out 250 calories a day — the amount in a small bar or chocolate or half a cup of premium ice cream — would lead to a weight loss of about 25 pounds over three years, with half that loss occurring the first year.
Many people get discouraged when weight loss slows even though they are sticking religiously to their diets, but Hall said a gradual loss is nearly always more effective because it allows the new eating and exercise habits to become a lasting lifestyle.
Still, obese people would have to cut out more calories to lose weight than it took to gain the extra pounds. Although reaching a weight of 220 pounds may have been caused by consuming, say, 250 calories more than were used each day, losing that weight requires much larger reductions in calorie intake. According to Hall's calculations, an extra 220 calories a day are now maintaining the new higher weight.
For the population to return to average body weights of the 1970s, obese individuals, who now represent 14 percent of the population, would have to cut out more than 500 calories a day, the new model shows.
Hall noted that typical weight-loss programs result in significant losses over a period of six to eight months, followed by gradual weight regain in the years that follow. When weight-loss plateaus at six to eight months — "which happens with all the diets," he said — many dieters unconsciously start to eat a little more.
Although consuming an extra 100 calories a day would not show up right away as weight gain, it does over time. And it happens more slowly for the obese person than for someone who is lean, Hall said, because the obese person's body requires more calories to maintain the extra pounds.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:06 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,483,779 times
I eat anything I want. ANYTHING. but I try hard to keep it healthy and balanced still
I limit my calories to 1500 per day. And I write it all down so I don't under estimate.

Last edited by glass_of_merlot; 02-06-2012 at 10:24 AM..

Old 02-06-2012, 10:23 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I eat anything I want. ANYTHING. But I limit my calories to 1500 per day. And I write it all down so I don't under estimate.
As long as it isn't 1500 calories in doughnuts!

Old 02-06-2012, 10:42 AM

1,615 posts, read 2,574,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Moderator cut: quote deleted because of language

True. Man how irritating it is to hear people go on and on and on with their excuses as to why they are overweght: "My mom buys only fattening food", "It easier to go to the drive-thru", "Oooooh, I just love chocolate", "I have to have my diet coke", "blah blah blah blah as to why I willl forwever be fat".

It really is that easy unless you are battling some disease, to just lay off of the sugar and the fattening food. Just lay off.
there is no sugar in diet coke, it has zero calories

Old 02-06-2012, 12:35 PM

7,126 posts, read 12,665,237 times
Why is it so hard? Well, all the big guns of advertising and marketing are trained on us to make us want to buy and consume high-caloric, high fat and highly-sugared processed foods--junky/garbage-y foods.

And scientists in foods labs treat us like lab rats and design junk foods that appeal to our taste buds' preference for salty, fatty, spicy, creamy, and fizzy--that all important "mouth feel." Indeed, we really can't eat just one potato chip--they're designed to make us overeat them.

Our govt. subsidizes corn and so high fructose corn syrup is now added to most foods as a cheap filler--and for the sweet taste we crave.

Until the day comes when marketing broccoli and spinach gets as much exposure as all the crappy, unhealthy, fattening foods, we will be fighting an uphill battle to make healthy and wise food choices.

Look at all the fast food restaurants we drive by daily. How many veggie places do you see?

We live in a culture that endorses and tries its best to get us to eat in a very unhealthy way. Take a look at most school lunch programs, for example.

Can it be done? Can we eat less (it's not really about eating less, but more about eating wisely, for you can eat a huge amount of a fresh green salad for very few calories) and move more?? Of course! And many do eat healthy diets and are physically active...but in our culture, at this point in time, it takes a lot of will power, doesn't it?

You see, advertising works all too well. "And you deserve a break today.."

Old 02-06-2012, 01:38 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,955,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
there is no sugar in diet coke, it has zero calories
Ladies and gentlemen, here is a prime example of why people fail so often. They think "Oh wow, I can drink as much coke as I want because it has zero calories and zero sugar...". This does NOT mean you can drink one or two per day. Anyone who wants or NEEDS to lose weight should immediately eliminate soda from their diet. COMPLETELY ELIMINATE THEM!! How many fat people do you see in the office who complain about being fat, but yet you constantly see them with diet coke? A LOT. If it isnt good for you DONT EAT OR DRINK IT!! Simple!!! Everyone should do this but people who need to lose weight should heed this more than any and everyone else.

I train a LOT of people. I have very very good success rates as well. This is one of the first things I tell them. I'd say "You drink diet coke/pepsi?", they would say "Yes, it has zero calories". I'd say, stop it, and start to think of taking in food/drinks as fuel for your body. When this "clicks" with them, its like an INSTANT and total change in their lives. 100% of the people who do this succeed. Sure, there are some who still drink their soda/beer and succeed as well, but they are rare and those are the ones who really really really work their a$$es off in training.

Old 02-06-2012, 01:38 PM

in my case i went from 230 lbs down to 184. i am a 6'1" male and i lost this over the past two years. I am 34.

for me it was fast food and restaurant food and lack of exercise. today i workout an hour a day and only eat in restaurants occasionally. i try to NEVER eat pastries, never eat fast food except for subway and pita pit.

One obstacle is sabotage. Many of my friends and family think that what i'm doing is silly and i shouldn't care how i look or feel.

they think caring about fitness is being vain. here in North Dakota people don't care about those things. they think that those type of concerns are for people in california or for vain shallow people.

I am NOT shallow. I do NOT think i'm superior to people who are overweight and i do not judge people by their weight. I would not date somebody based soley on looks.

sometimes it's the attitudes of those around you that can make it harder. My mom is always saying that i'm too skinny and trying to get me to eat bad foods. what she doesn't realize is that i'm actually within the HIGH NORMAL end for my age height and gender.

Maybe americans in general have gotten so used to so many being overweight that nobody knows what normal is anymore and everyone thinks normal is skinny.

Old 02-06-2012, 01:40 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Why is it so hard? Well, all the big guns of advertising and marketing are trained on us to make us want to buy and consume high-caloric, high fat and highly-sugared processed foods--junky/garbage-y foods.

And scientists in foods labs treat us like lab rats and design junk foods that appeal to our taste buds' preference for salty, fatty, spicy, creamy, and fizzy--that all important "mouth feel." Indeed, we really can't eat just one potato chip--they're designed to make us overeat them.

Our govt. subsidizes corn and so high fructose corn syrup is now added to most foods as a cheap filler--and for the sweet taste we crave.

Until the day comes when marketing broccoli and spinach gets as much exposure as all the crappy, unhealthy, fattening foods, we will be fighting an uphill battle to make healthy and wise food choices.

Look at all the fast food restaurants we drive by daily. How many veggie places do you see?

We live in a culture that endorses and tries its best to get us to eat in a very unhealthy way. Take a look at most school lunch programs, for example.

Can it be done? Can we eat less (it's not really about eating less, but more about eating wisely, for you can eat a huge amount of a fresh green salad for very few calories) and move more?? Of course! And many do eat healthy diets and are physically active...but in our culture, at this point in time, it takes a lot of will power, doesn't it?

You see, advertising works all too well. "And you deserve a break today.."

All the advertising in the world will not work if the product does not taste good.

If you buy something because the advertising makes it sound good, then it does taste good, that does not mean you have to eat too much of it.

I just finished a bowl of home made soup. It is so good, I could eat more. But I won't.

Just about all the fast food restaurants have more nutritious options --- if you choose them.

We get fat because we eat too much. The restaurants are helping to teach us to do that by serving meals that have more than one portion. You have to train yourself to recognize what a portion is.

Old 02-06-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Ladies and gentlemen, here is a prime example of why people fail so often. They think "Oh wow, I can drink as much coke as I want because it has zero calories and zero sugar...". This does NOT mean you can drink one or two per day. Anyone who wants or NEEDS to lose weight should immediately eliminate soda from their diet. COMPLETELY ELIMINATE THEM!! How many fat people do you see in the office who complain about being fat, but yet you constantly see them with diet coke? A LOT. If it isnt good for you DONT EAT OR DRINK IT!! Simple!!! Everyone should do this but people who need to lose weight should heed this more than any and everyone else.

really because i'm 6'1" male and i'm 34 i weight only 184 pounds with a muscular swimmers body.

YOu do realize that weight loss is calories IN vs. Calories OUT. this means that if something has ZERO calories then you won't gain weight from it.

if a person is fat and drinking diet coke that does NOT mean that diet coke is CAUSING them to be fat.. it can't possibly be the case since it contains ZERO calories.. it probably means they're eating and drinking MANY OTHER things IN ADDITION to diet coke that is causing them to gain weight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss