Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 10:16 PM

62,195 posts, read 88,090,317 times

Advertisements

Eating less meat and more fish and veggies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 03:16 AM

7,978 posts, read 7,386,424 times
My youngest daughter (who still lives at home) started a diet this past week (she needs to lose about 70 pounds), and I'm doing it with her for support (I'd like to lose about 10 or 12 myself). We are eating the same foods, weighing portions, etc., going to the gym together, and I've been making us a special diet dessert every night (sugar free low fat pudding, sugar free jello blended with fat free yogurt, etc.). But sometimes, when I'm alone, I CRAVE SWEETS - and I'll buy a candy bar and eat it on the sly. Don't tell her!!!!

Old 01-14-2012, 03:27 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,366,590 times
I'm heading into day 13 sticking to my low fat vegan food plan. For some strange reason, I keep craving things I cannot have. I try making something similar on plan to fend off the cravings.

Old 01-14-2012, 05:32 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,190,725 times
My resolution was to eat more fiber which the doc says I need to do. Finger nails ain't bad with a little ketchup on them.

Old 01-14-2012, 07:17 PM

28,226 posts, read 37,022,764 times
I am about 75%. I have given into a few processed foods. I wanted to start the year avoiding gluten, beef and coffee, but that didn't work. :P

But otherwise I am on track. Mainly I am trying to avoid fake foods, but I have had a few sour patch kids!

Old 01-14-2012, 09:25 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,861,667 times
The easiest diet resolutions to stick with are diets that do not restrict any one food group. Weight Watchers is great for that because they teach you how to eat real food in the real world.
If you were an omnivore and suddenly went vegan that is going to be awfully hard. And why? Why would any sane person go vegan? If you have dietary restriction from a health point of view that is one thing, for losing weight its really simple...eat less than you burn. Focus on eating a VARIETY of whole foods, and try and stay away from processed, high sodium, high fat foods. Keep your sugar intake at a minimum and just use common sense. It aint rocket science people. Don't make it more difficult than it has to be.
And you CANNOT lose weight quickly in a safe manner. Put a reasonable goal in front of yourself and strive for it. Quick loss diets NEVER work in the long run.

Old 01-15-2012, 09:19 AM

5,893 posts, read 12,861,776 times
On the 1st of the year I joined T.O.P.S. online and committed to regularly attending meetings of my local chapter. My daughter-in-law joined Weight Watchers online. I have done WW a number of times and always quit too soon. Both programs are not as restrictive as some other diets.

What I am doing is getting the emotional support, motivation and ideas I need from reading books, regularly reading blogs and message boards of WW and Spark People. I am educating myself about unfamiliar foods and have committed to trying new foods and new recipes at least once a week.

I have too many bad habits to do a comlete 180 degree turn-around, but I am taking it one day at a time and making important changes as I go. I journal regularly but plan poorly. So this year I am going to plan ahead as much as possible, come up with ways to avoid temptation and choose new behaviors in reaction to stress, keep a food diary, etc.

Have physical issues that have kept me from exercising and are still very painful, but I joined the Y and will start out slow and work my way up until I am exercising most days. I know that there are people much bigger and with more ailments than I have, so I really have no excuses. I'm done with excuses and ready to take responsibility for how I feel and how I conduct my days. This time I am mentally prepared and ready to accept myself as I am, forgive myself for letting myself get to this point and moving forward toward a healther future. Hopefully, one day I can use my success story to motivate others.

Old 01-15-2012, 09:43 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,076,632 times
I ate 10 cupcakes and a canoli for dinner last night.

Old 01-15-2012, 01:31 PM

9,896 posts, read 22,095,221 times
I put on 10 lousey lbs during the holidays after losing 35 lbs. That 10 lbs makes a difference & i can feel it in my clothes. I just cant seem to drop the 10 lbs even though i walked 6 miles in a 3 day period (2 miles a day). Being overweight sucks.

Old 01-15-2012, 01:38 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,861,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
I put on 10 lousey lbs during the holidays after losing 35 lbs. That 10 lbs makes a difference & i can feel it in my clothes. I just cant seem to drop the 10 lbs even though i walked 6 miles in a 3 day period (2 miles a day). Being overweight sucks.
You may be eating more than you realize. Write down your food intake for a few days. You may be surprised.
I agree being overweight sucks. But a victim mentality will get you nowhere. You lost 35lbs which is awesome. Now get back up on that horse and lose the 10.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss