Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 08:20 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,251,117 times

Advertisements

With all the other crap most people eat, I doubt a few percentage of ground meat fat makes much difference one way or the other. Doesn't most of it end up dripping off anyway when you grill it? Seems like a silly thing to worry about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 08:30 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,348,476 times
I stopped eating Morning Star and every other "veggie burger" after I read this.
Ick...
Is Hexane in Your Veggie Burger? (& What is Hexane?)

Old 01-24-2012, 08:34 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,251,117 times
Most chefs will tell you 80/20 makes the best burgers.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:21 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Make the ground beef. It tastes better. You can bulk it up with some onions and save calories. Add chopped onion to the ground beef mixture for moisture. Your burgers will taste excellent. You can also add things like jalapenos or even bell peppers.

Old 01-25-2012, 06:46 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,711,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Thank you.

It says the chopped sirloin is trimmed to 1/8" fat on a 100g serving. I'd have to know what percent of fat that was to be able to compare the meat they are using to the 90% lean stuff I get at the market.

I used to be able to get 95% lean meat.

Now I really am starting to get concerned. The info should be readily available and what we get is little kinks that seem deliberately placed.

Ok. I tried the Morningstar product and just by eating it a person can tell it has very little fat.
So, the 90% lean on the meat package does not mean it is only 10% fat somehow. It is misleading.

Thank you for all your effort.
That link has the wrong info. I knew right off the bat when they had the grillers listed as zero carb. Bummer. That COULD be a cool site if they had the correct data.

I like those fake burgers but I can feel that grass fed beef thats cared for properly is healthier for me. Those fake burgers sometimes make me feel like there is a film left in my mouth like how a lot of processed food does. They are good for cutting fat and thats about it.

Someinfo on beef:
Ground Beef Labels and Fat Content

It would probably be healthier if he ate portabella in place of a fake burger with a salad on the side with some nuts and garbanzo and lentil beans for protein. Then he may have you beat.

But for you my fellow beef consumer:
Is Red Meat Always High in Fat? / Nutrition / Fats

Get the whole piece and then ask the butcher to grind it up for you. Even if you didn't give a hoot about fat etc...beef freshly ground tastes so much better. But you can use the above list to find the leanest cut.

Old 01-25-2012, 10:05 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,168,876 times
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this, being a weight loss forum, that one serving of those MorningStar Grillers has >250mg of sodium. Plus, as a packaged food, it's chocked full of chemicals and whatnot.

Quote:
Ingredients:
TEXTURED VEGETABLE PROTEIN (WHEAT GLUTEN, SOY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, WATER FOR HYDRATION), EGG WHITES, CORN OIL, CALCIUM CASEINATE, CONTAINS TWO PERCENT OR LESS OF MODIFIED TAPIOCA STARCH, ONION POWDER, CANOLA OIL, TRIGLYCERIDES FROM COCONUT OIL, HYDROLYZED VEGETABLE PROTEIN (CORN GLUTEN, WHEAT GLUTEN, SOY PROTEIN), DEXTROSE, SALT, SOY PROTEIN ISOLATE, AUTOLYZED YEAST EXTRACT, SUGAR, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS FROM NON-MEAT SOURCES, CARAMEL COLOR, CULTURED WHEY, MALTODEXTRIN, GARLIC POWDER, SPICE, CELLULOSE GUM, DISODIUM GUANYLATE, DISODIUM INOSINATE, SOY SAUCE (WATER, SOYBEANS, SALT, WHEAT), VITAMINS AND MINERALS (NIACINAMIDE, IRON [FERROUS SULFATE], THIAMIN MONONITRATE [VITAMIN B1], PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE [VITAMIN B6], RIBOFLAVIN [VITAMIN B2], VITAMIN B12), SESAME SEED OIL, CELERY EXTRACT, SOY LECITHIN.
For weight loss, I would go with a fresh ground beef/sirloin/steak hamburger over processed foods.

Old 01-25-2012, 10:19 AM

5,319 posts, read 8,984,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
That link has the wrong info. I knew right off the bat when they had the grillers listed as zero carb. Bummer. That COULD be a cool site if they had the correct data.
You're correct.

It looks like it retains the search titles I entered into each search box, but then it just selects whichever foods it determines to be the closest matches from it's database.

I think it was just showing results of Beef Outside Round compared to Beef Top Sirloin (which are in gray-colored boxes), instead of Morningstar Grillers to Chopped Sirloin, but it still uses Morningstar and Chopped Sirloin in the heading of the results page.

I just discovered that website yesterday. It does look good for a lot of food comparisons, but you have to select the best matches (on left and right side) from whatever set of results it finds.

It apparently does not have Morningstar in it's database.

Still a pretty cool site otherwise.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:54 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,971,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Most chefs will tell you 80/20 makes the best burgers.
I never thought so, but we are pretty much addressing health issues here.
I never liked taking a mouthfull of fat and that's often what you get with 80/20. I think fat in a steak is to keep the meat from getting tough but I do not like the flavor or the texture of fat.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
I stopped eating Morning Star and every other "veggie burger" after I read this.
Ick...
Is Hexane in Your Veggie Burger? (& What is Hexane?)
Thanks. This is really good to know. At my age probably the fat is more dangerous than the hexane, though.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Make the ground beef. It tastes better. You can bulk it up with some onions and save calories. Add chopped onion to the ground beef mixture for moisture. Your burgers will taste excellent. You can also add things like jalapenos or even bell peppers.
I like the taste of Morningstar Grillers. I actually get sick of eating red meat, and this is a protein filled change that is not fatty like cheese. I do fry onions with it and add ketchup to give it more moisture, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss