Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 12:12 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,974,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
That link has the wrong info. I knew right off the bat when they had the grillers listed as zero carb. Bummer. That COULD be a cool site if they had the correct data.

I like those fake burgers but I can feel that grass fed beef thats cared for properly is healthier for me. Those fake burgers sometimes make me feel like there is a film left in my mouth like how a lot of processed food does. They are good for cutting fat and thats about it.

Someinfo on beef:
Ground Beef Labels and Fat Content

It would probably be healthier if he ate portabella in place of a fake burger with a salad on the side with some nuts and garbanzo and lentil beans for protein. Then he may have you beat.

But for you my fellow beef consumer:
Is Red Meat Always High in Fat? / Nutrition / Fats

Get the whole piece and then ask the butcher to grind it up for you. Even if you didn't give a hoot about fat etc...beef freshly ground tastes so much better. But you can use the above list to find the leanest cut.
Thank you for the articles. I don't think my supermarket ground sirloin is always consistent because sometimes it is red and other times it is lighter in color.

It is interesting that the fat content of lean ground turkey is in the ballpark with lean ground beef. I really dislike all these phony turkey preparations. I only like turkey with stuffing and cranberry sauce.

also, in the article:

'Some cuts of lean beef are just as low in fat as boneless skinless chicken breast. Additionally, some cuts of turkey and chicken have every bit as much fat in them as a well marbled cut of beef.'

The fatty cuts of chicken and turkey are the brown meat parts.

My supermarket sells chicken that they cook on their rotissary which I used to love. They switched to Purdue chickens and I don't know what those chickens are injected with but there is a whole lot of liquid at the bottom of the container these days. I don't buy them any more. I think it is a combination of water, to make them weigh more, and fat to make them juicy so the white meat does not dry out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 12:14 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,804,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowsCalibrator View Post
For weight loss, I would go with a fresh ground beef/sirloin/steak hamburger over processed foods.
Exactly. And much better if you go with the hormone and antibiotic free, grass fed beef. Naturally leaner and way better for you. Stay far away from all that chemical and preservative laden boxed stuff.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowsCalibrator View Post
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this, being a weight loss forum, that one serving of those MorningStar Grillers has >250mg of sodium. Plus, as a packaged food, it's chocked full of chemicals and whatnot.

For weight loss, I would go with a fresh ground beef/sirloin/steak hamburger over processed foods.
I noticed all that sodium. My blood pressure does not respond to sodium changes in the diet, as half the population does not.

I almost think, if you cook a burger (meat) and no fat comes out, or you have to spray the pan to keep the burger from sticking, it probably has a pretty low fat content.

My father, years back, had a friend who had a ranch. We visited the guy, who started apologizing for the additives in the feed that he knew were poisoning the public, but it was the only way he could stay competitive. He raised cattle separately for his family's consumption.

So, while you are probably correct, meat is not exempt, plus that is the little problem of toxoplasmosis transfer from not well cooked meat. That is still a controversial subject, but some studies do say it affects the brain, pushing it into risky behavior.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:18 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I like the taste of Morningstar Grillers. I actually get sick of eating red meat, and this is a protein filled change that is not fatty like cheese. I do fry onions with it and add ketchup to give it more moisture, though.
This process is a little different. Chop up onions (and your fave spices) and mix it into the meat before you form the patties. You'll be amazed at how much tastier it is!

Old 01-25-2012, 02:29 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,564,078 times
IIUC its considered beneficial to increase the proportion of fat in your diet that is mono or poly unsat vs sat fat. in that sense a griller thats HIGHER in total fat could be better than a burger thats higher in sat fat but lower in total fat. OTOH you could supplement the burger with something thats high in poly/mono unsat to get the same effect.

How important the artificial ingredients are is a matter of debate. There are non-dietary reasons for eating less red meat, but thats off topic here.

Old 01-29-2012, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
This process is a little different. Chop up onions (and your fave spices) and mix it into the meat before you form the patties. You'll be amazed at how much tastier it is!
Onions make me gassy for a long time if they are not cooked. Because of this I use dried onions in meatloaf, even, and add more moisture to the recipe.

But I'm sure you are right and thanks for the suggestion anyway.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:04 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,713,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Onions make me gassy for a long time if they are not cooked. Because of this I use dried onions in meatloaf, even, and add more moisture to the recipe.

But I'm sure you are right and thanks for the suggestion anyway.
Did you know thats an actual enzyme deficiency? I thought that was interesting when I came across that info when figuring out why raw onions make my mouth and fingers itch. I never eat them for that reason.

You know what else is really good though is italian roasted red peppers. I get the deli style cut (strips), garlic and a little bit of cheese to make a tasty burger mix. Cheese options: romano (aged) or teeny bit of fontina, or a teeny bit of cheddar.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:25 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
I stopped eating Morning Star and every other "veggie burger" after I read this.
Ick...
Is Hexane in Your Veggie Burger? (& What is Hexane?)
The lengthy list of ingredients in those "natural" veggie burgers has led me to eat only organic veggie burgers, or to make my own, either out of the usual veggie ingredients, or out of good old-fashioned grass-fed beef.

Old 02-05-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
The lengthy list of ingredients in those "natural" veggie burgers has led me to eat only organic veggie burgers, or to make my own, either out of the usual veggie ingredients, or out of good old-fashioned grass-fed beef.
I might like grass fed chopped grass fed beef, but I bought some gress fed beef from Australia that was very tough and stringy. I think it has a lot less fat in it. As happy as it might make the cattle, it's not good for steaks, in my opinion.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:40 PM

22,662 posts, read 24,605,343 times
Hum, let's see.........Frankenfood vs real.....I take the real food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss