Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 12:08 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,527,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireandice1000 View Post
The paleo diet appeals partially because people can eat all the meat and butter and other fun stuff all they want acccording to the diet.
That's a common misconception. Paleo is not at all about meat and butter.
There are folks everywhere who "eat all the meat and butter and other fun stuff they want". Some may try to justify it by saying they're eating paleo or atkins or whatever, but they're either lying or ignorant, or both.

My fat intake is relatively high, often above 50% of my daily calories. It comes mostly from eggs, fish, olives, olive oil, avocados, and nuts. I do enjoy butter and full-fat yogurt, in moderation. Yummy. Since veggies are so low in calories, that % is fine. I normally have 3-5 servings of veggies *per meal* (9-10 servings per day) but only one small animal protein per meal. I track my nutrients and my daily calorie intake is usually in the 1600-1900 range, and I easily get way above the MDR of all nutrients from food, without having to use supplements. (except potassium, that's a real problem for most folks eating paleo or atkins, I have to work to make sure I get enough)

The OP asked specifically about paleo so this discussion is relevant. I've previously said paleo works for me because I love animal protein and vegetables and don't at all miss processed carbs or sweet fruit. The information she provided IMO indicates it might not be a good choice for her, but because of her food preferences and NOT because it's unhealthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2012, 12:21 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,346,114 times
Geez... yet another rehash (is that with or without meat?).

Old 07-21-2012, 12:46 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,527,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Geez... yet another rehash (is that with or without meat?).
With meat, in my case. No threadjacking going on, since the OP did specifically ask about paleo.

Old 07-21-2012, 03:16 PM

2,191 posts, read 4,805,545 times
Vegan is superior to everything as it avoids animal products which cause heart disease & cancer.

Old 07-21-2012, 04:06 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,768,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason28 View Post
Vegan is superior to everything as it avoids animal products which cause heart disease & cancer.
Meat is superior to everything, because it avoids plant products which cause pesticide poisoning and cancer.

Water is superior to everything, because it avoids food, which causes heart disease, cancer, and pesticide poisoning.

Air is superior to everything, because it avoids all ingestibles, which cause heart disease, cancer, pesticide poisoning, and bloating.

See how stupid it sounds when you post in absolutes?

Old 07-22-2012, 10:09 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,813,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason28 View Post
There are books now that prove my point but you choose to not read them and you are heavily, heavily biased by the animal product industry. In the few years I've posted on/off this website I would also have to say you are by far the most annoying person I've ever encountered on any forum ever. You're also flat wrong on most things you like to argue about. Have fun eating your cheese fatty!
There are books to back up everything when it comes to ideas of what is the best way to eat. Not hard at all to find support for almost any way of eating.
Do people ever read Anon's posts all the way through? She is not an advocate of Paleo or Atkins or Veganism, or whatever.

How about just eat whole, fresh healthy foods from all the food groups. Practice moderation and exercise. No fricking mystery, just common sense.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:39 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,079,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
There are books to back up everything when it comes to ideas of what is the best way to eat. Not hard at all to find support for almost any way of eating.
Yes, there are books about many different diets, but rarely do they back up everything when it comes to ideas of what is the best way to eat. Heck, often the books aren't even written by scientists and the authors aren't even involved in research.... Yet, the books on plant-based nutrient are all written by scientists or doctors. They are filled with references to actual research, the authors themselves are often actively involved in research....

Quote:
How about just eat whole, fresh healthy foods from all the food groups. Practice moderation and exercise. No fricking mystery, just common sense.
All the food groups? Defined by who exactly? The USDA? There is nothing "common sense" about this, the "food groups" as you call them have been arbitrary defined based on the interests of big business.

Why would you want to practice moderation of foods that are linked to disease....even in moderation?

Old 07-22-2012, 10:47 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,813,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Yes, there are books about many different diets, but rarely do they back up everything when it comes to ideas of what is the best way to eat. Heck, often the books aren't even written by scientists and the authors aren't even involved in research.... Yet, the books on plant-based nutrient are all written by scientists or doctors. They are filled with references to actual research, the authors themselves are often actively involved in research....

All the food groups? Defined by who exactly? The USDA? There is nothing "common sense" about this, the "food groups" as you call them have been arbitrary defined based on the interests of big business.

Why would you want to practice moderation of foods that are linked to disease....even in moderation?
Did you not read where I said fresh, whole foods? And it is all common sense. You can over complicate it all you like. But really there is no need.

Old 07-22-2012, 11:09 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,079,981 times
Quote:
Did you not read where I said fresh, whole foods? And it is all common sense. You can over complicate it all you like. But really there is no need.
Yes, fresh whole foods form "all the food groups"...and I imagine you're referring to the USDA defined food groups. Yet, this list is a government defined, and culturally based, list of foods....there is nothing "common sense" about it.

I really don't know why you think repeatedly asserting that your views are "common sense"......is a meaningful way to discuss dietary issues. I suppose for some, their understanding of matters is always "common sense" regardless of whether its true or not.

Old 07-22-2012, 01:52 PM

994 posts, read 1,592,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
That's a common misconception. Paleo is not at all about meat and butter.
There are folks everywhere who "eat all the meat and butter and other fun stuff they want". Some may try to justify it by saying they're eating paleo or atkins or whatever, but they're either lying or ignorant, or both.

My fat intake is relatively high, often above 50% of my daily calories. It comes mostly from eggs, fish, olives, olive oil, avocados, and nuts. I do enjoy butter and full-fat yogurt, in moderation. Yummy. Since veggies are so low in calories, that % is fine. I normally have 3-5 servings of veggies *per meal* (9-10 servings per day) but only one small animal protein per meal. I track my nutrients and my daily calorie intake is usually in the 1600-1900 range, and I easily get way above the MDR of all nutrients from food, without having to use supplements. (except potassium, that's a real problem for most folks eating paleo or atkins, I have to work to make sure I get enough)

The OP asked specifically about paleo so this discussion is relevant. I've previously said paleo works for me because I love animal protein and vegetables and don't at all miss processed carbs or sweet fruit. The information she provided IMO indicates it might not be a good choice for her, but because of her food preferences and NOT because it's unhealthy.
Your choices are better, but most of the paleo and high protein diets involve eating large amounts of protein that can be deadly to the human body. Some people can handle it better; I cannot eat a high protein diet because I become weak and tired. Furthermore, I am the only person in my family not on supplements and my other family members and most other people I know are on various versions of these high protein diets and are taking an alphabet list of vitamins and other stuff. They are puzzled and amazed that I don't need them. It's no biggie; any diet requiring vitamin supplements of any sort probably isn't a good diet for a human.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss