Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 11:58 PM

1,018 posts, read 3,381,276 times

Advertisements

ive been working out for 2 months, dropped 20 pounds, I took a day off from working out and drank 7 beers at a party, and also I ate some food. i dont drink at all, last time i drank was 6 months ago

anyways I average about 2 pounds of weight loss per week, and that morning I was 166 lbs. after that day off, the next morning I was 170. and now, after a week and a half, im at 167. I was thinking it might be water retention or toxic bowel stuck in my intestines, but its not really the case. so my one day of drinking really killed over a week of hard effort.

are there any other ideas or causes that might have happened?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 05:50 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Beer is high in carbohydrates. Carbohydrates tend to stick with you for awhile. Combine that with the crap you ate at the party (because I'm guessing they didn't serve you a nice veggie salad with lemon juice instead of dressing). Six beers is over 2 pounds of liquids. Add to that a couple pounds of food, most of which were likely starch and sugar with lots of fat mixed in.

If you had consumed one beer, and a nice salad at the party with no creamy dressings or dips of any kind, and ate a single chicken breast with an ice-cream-scoop sized serving of brown rice, you probably wouldn't have noticed any change in your weight.

In summary:

TOO Much beer is bad for your diet. TOO much food is bad for your diet. TOO much food and beer combined in the same event is bad enough for your diet, that it's shocking you even had to come here and ask.

Old 08-30-2012, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post

that it's shocking you even had to come here and ask.

and this is a forum, I guess your the expert and im the novice. good one

Old 08-30-2012, 11:50 AM

4,669 posts, read 4,980,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by civic94 View Post
ive been working out for 2 months, dropped 20 pounds, I took a day off from working out and drank 7 beers at a party, and also I ate some food. i dont drink at all, last time i drank was 6 months ago

anyways I average about 2 pounds of weight loss per week, and that morning I was 166 lbs. after that day off, the next morning I was 170. and now, after a week and a half, im at 167. I was thinking it might be water retention or toxic bowel stuck in my intestines, but its not really the case. so my one day of drinking really killed over a week of hard effort.

are there any other ideas or causes that might have happened?
No, and it's a waste of time to speculate. I hit my lowest weight in my adult life the morning after a night of several pints of beer topped off with a pint of Haagen-Dazs. Day-to-day fluctuations in weight mean less than nothing.

Old 08-30-2012, 12:40 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,847,793 times
Lots of beer will make you retain water and feel bloated. Beer isn't particularly healthy in any of it's forms, but some craft brews that use high quality ingredients do actually give some health benefits in exchange for all those carbs.

A long time ago I transformed from a 180 lb flabby out of shape guy to a 175 lb super in shape guy and still drank a beer almost every day.

Now I just have to get up off my butt and do it again! For good this time.

Old 08-30-2012, 12:47 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Any alcohol is fine occasionally if you plan for it, don't overindulge, and don't make it a habit.

Old 08-30-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Any alcohol is fine occasionally if you plan for it, don't overindulge, and don't make it a habit.
thanks. you got a rep point.

I dont drink much, like i said, last time i ever drank was 6 months ago, I used to drink tons before I was 21, after i was 21 i dont see a point since i can get it whenever i want.

if its water retention i would be fine, its pretty frustrating to drink for 1 day and for the next week and a half i cant get down to that weight. I dont think i can gain 4 pounds of fat in just 1 day.

Old 08-30-2012, 12:54 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
You probably just overloaded your system with too much alcohol and food at the same time and it is taking a bit longer to work its way through but I am guessing here.

PS -- Try being pregnant, you CAN gain 4 pounds in 1 day.

Old 09-09-2012, 04:01 PM

2 posts, read 4,424 times
On the contrary alcohol doesn't necessarily increase weight although the reason is yet unclear, but research suggests that alcohol energy is not efficiently used. Alcohol also appears to increase metabolic rate significantly, thus causing more calories to be burned rather than stored in the body as fat. Other research has found that the consumption of sugar decreases as the consumption of alcohol increases.
But I am not saying that we should splurge and indulge with alcohol since anything in excess would obviously be bad for our health.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:39 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,209,247 times
don't drink as much beer. switch to hard alcohol.

but yeah, beer will put on the pounds. i gained 20 pounds over the summer because i would kill a 30 pack by myself almost every weekend. i haven't had a drop of alcohol in 9 days, and all of a sudden, i've lost 10 pounds
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss