Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 11:41 AM

207 posts, read 354,880 times

Advertisements

This doesn't happen to everyone- but I find it common that some people who finally achieve weight loss, after struggling, become judgmental and critical of those who are overweight. Have you noticed this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2013, 03:08 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,822,493 times
Well for those that have finally shed the pounds, they feel if they can do it anyone can. I certainly did and still do. But also they have a hard time remembering how hard it was to get started.

Old 09-24-2013, 02:43 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldLight View Post
This doesn't happen to everyone- but I find it common that some people who finally achieve weight loss, after struggling, become judgmental and critical of those who are overweight. Have you noticed this?

I've found that it's the overweight friends and family who have the attitude towards the person who lost the weight.

I think it's a harsh reminder that it can be done, it's not easy, but it can be done.

Old 09-24-2013, 06:16 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,177,954 times
Quote:
I've found that it's the overweight friends and family who have the attitude towards the person who lost the weight.

Yeah, I get the "you're too thin" or "you need to eat more"...when my BMI is pretty much in the healthy range (so no NOT "too thin").

Last week at the bar patio this old drag queen commented to me that "im so thin, I'll blow away like Mary Poppins", when I opend my umbrella (it was starting to rain)(tho she is pretty thin her/hisself)...of course she and the others remember me with this big beer belly....

Old 09-24-2013, 11:50 AM

4,103 posts, read 7,026,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post

I think it's a harsh reminder that it can be done, it's not easy, but it can be done.
This! I need to lose 15 pounds to be out of the overweight BMI range. I want to lose 35 and people keep telling me that will be too much. No it won't. I would still be in the healthy weight range. They keep going on and on how it will be too much and I haven't even done it yet so I'm bracing myself to face all of the criticism I'm going to get when I get there.

Old 09-24-2013, 06:55 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,822,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlitasway View Post
This! I need to lose 15 pounds to be out of the overweight BMI range. I want to lose 35 and people keep telling me that will be too much. No it won't. I would still be in the healthy weight range. They keep going on and on how it will be too much and I haven't even done it yet so I'm bracing myself to face all of the criticism I'm going to get when I get there.
Rule number one : Stop listening to what others are saying.

Old 09-24-2013, 06:59 PM

4,103 posts, read 7,026,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Rule number one : Stop listening to what others are saying.
I never listened to them to begin with. I just smile and nod and walk away

Old 09-25-2013, 06:08 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
Quote:
Ignore the haters.

It's funny how people have no problem telling someone they're too thin, but they won't tell them they're too fat.

My dd recently lost 30 lbs (had her third child one year ago) just by watching what she ate and daily exercise. She's pretty much been brushed aside by her other mom friends who are still carrying the extra 20-30 baby lbs (some of those babies are 3yrs old, lol) Some of them are down right nasty and cut her down for doing what she's doing and make nasty comments on what she eats and doesn't eat.

She balked at hitting the gym with me, but once she 'got' it, she got it and she's hooked. love it. She looks great, but even more importantly, she feels great. I'm insanely proud of her!!

Old 09-25-2013, 10:54 AM

6,143 posts, read 7,557,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Ignore the haters.

It's funny how people have no problem telling someone they're too thin, but they won't tell them they're too fat.

My dd recently lost 30 lbs (had her third child one year ago) just by watching what she ate and daily exercise. She's pretty much been brushed aside by her other mom friends who are still carrying the extra 20-30 baby lbs (some of those babies are 3yrs old, lol) Some of them are down right nasty and cut her down for doing what she's doing and make nasty comments on what she eats and doesn't eat.

She balked at hitting the gym with me, but once she 'got' it, she got it and she's hooked. love it. She looks great, but even more importantly, she feels great. I'm insanely proud of her!!
Good for her!

I have lost 62 pounds and still am not quite to my goal. Throughout my weight loss journey, I've had people tell me how thin I'm getting, I'm getting too thin, etc. I had a morbidly obese coworker make snide comments behind my back about eating two sandwiches but not being able to eat a doughnut. Even at my goal, I will never be thin. As more weight has come off, people aren't making those comments as much. I think they can see that I am healthy and look and feel good, and that what I am doing is working.

Most of those types of comments come from people that are overweight/obese themselves. They don't want others to have success and drop the weight, because it's an in their face reminder that it CAN be done and they would rather not do the work. It's more comfortable for them not to change if they are surrounded by overweight people. That seems to be my experience, at least.

Now that I have lost weight, I try very hard not to be judgmental of others, but sometimes the thoughts do come into my head about certain people (and usually just the people I have direct encounters with, have made comments to me, etc.). However, I am supportive of anyone who wants to lose weight and get healthier and will do whatever I can to help them. I know how much better I feel and look and I want that for others.

The other reason I try very hard to NOT develop an attitude is because I know the work will never be done. This will be something I need to work at for the rest of my life. I see how easy it is to gain weight back when you start to slack off, even just a little. If I take the attitude that I've won, my weight will be back in no time at all.

Old 09-25-2013, 12:42 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
Quote:
Don't talk about it with them at all. Just smile and nod and go about your business. If it's a gathering where you're eating, just get what you want and leave what you don't with no explanation or excuses. If anyone says anything about what you are or aren't eating, don't argue or explain. Just keep smiling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss