Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 02:48 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,372,399 times

Advertisements

Last night I was at Outback with my SO, and we normally order a Chocolate Thunder from Down Under and share it......and it is soooooo good.

Instead, I decided to ask the waitress how many calories it was. She didn't know right off, and her manager looked it up for me.

It is actually 4 servings. I used to get one of these just for myself. Good Lord!

Total calories 1574. One serving is 394. When we split it it is 787 calories per serving. That is unreal. I mean you can look at the thing and know how bad it is!

We left without eating dessert and for that I am happy! I am going to try and do that a lot more often. I was absolutely floored when I saw the calories, fat content, etc.

I usually get a filet mignon when I go but I got salmon instead.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 03:14 PM

29,747 posts, read 34,409,851 times
I'm not a huge fan of chain restaurants like Outback, but the good thing about them is that most of them will have nutrition information available on their websites. If you know where you're going in advance you can scope out the best/healthiest choices before you get there.

Old 01-28-2014, 03:24 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,560,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I'm not a huge fan of chain restaurants like Outback, but the good thing about them is that most of them will have nutrition information available on their websites. If you know where you're going in advance you can scope out the best/healthiest choices before you get there.
This is my dilemma when I want to eat out and still stay on track. I much prefer the local places, but they don't have nutrition info available. It's easier to look up a chain menu and make my choices before I get there. However, there are a few local places where I've figured out the healthiest options so I tend to stick with them.

When we go out to eat, we very rarely order dessert. If we have finished our meal and think we might want something sweet, we'll usually go to our favorite coffee shop and get a drink and a cookie. More often than not, we will do one or the other, restaurant meal or coffee shop.

Old 01-28-2014, 03:26 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,097,080 times
i never order dessert when we go out to eat ...that and drinks is where the chains make their money . I order water with a lemon wedge and you would not believe how much less your food bill is by ordering water and that can add up over time .

Old 01-28-2014, 03:50 PM

20,937 posts, read 28,443,988 times
Wow!!! that is a fattening dessert. I never had dessert at outback but have had something similar somewhere else and ate it all by myself. I will now think twice when ordering dessert out even at the finer places.

Old 01-28-2014, 05:15 PM

17 posts, read 60,304 times
Watch out for some of the ice cream too. A Culvers Large Concrete Mixer with some chocolate mixed it...1,200 calories!!! OMG! You can down one in 5 minutes...and not satisfy you at all...

Old 01-28-2014, 05:22 PM

209 posts, read 466,195 times
The chains want to keep you in chains...get t? Food as drug with insane levels of calories and sodium. Cheese Cake factory? I won't get near the front door of that place. My wife and I will have a piece of flourless chocolate cake and split it. It has about 1/2 the points of regular cake and tests better too.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:10 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,824,977 times
Not to mention the amount of sodium they put in their crap food. If you are really trying to lose weight avoid chain restaurants like the plague.

Old 02-03-2014, 03:41 PM

686 posts, read 1,231,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post

It is actually 4 servings. I used to get one of these just for myself. Good Lord!

Total calories 1574. One serving is 394. When we split it it is 787 calories per serving. That is unreal. I mean you can look at the thing and know how bad it is!
Funny how they say "oh, its actually four servings" to try to ease the pain of the crazy amount of calories it has.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:10 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,483,893 times
Whole Foods was selling a one cookie package at their cash register. I looked at the back and it was four servings and almost 400 calories per serving. Whole Foods no less. So what if it might have whole grains or no trans fat or no something. It still is loaded with sugar and calories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss