Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 02:05 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,679,772 times

Advertisements

calories in calories out /thread

Just because you exercise does not mean you can out train your bad nutritonal habits
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 03:23 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,827,529 times
Are you keeping track of how many calories you eat daily? Do you measure your food or just estimate? Often people think they are taking in less then they are. This is especially true if you are not measuring your food or at least keeping an estimate calorie count of what you are eating. So if you have not been tracking you may want to for at least a week to see if you are eating more then you think.
Like others said if you are eating a diet that should be equaling weight loss but is not you should go for a physical to make sure there are not health reasons contributing.
Lastly though 2 days a week for activity is a start you may want to increase this. Not just for weight loss but for overall health.

Old 02-28-2014, 04:57 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bson1257 View Post
For the past 6 months I have been on a diet but somehow I gained 10 lbs. I exercise about 2 days a week as well. Can anyone help me out and explain what happened?
You posted this just a few days ago but two months ago you posted this in the mental health thread:

Quote:
I have been putting off seeing a doctor for far too long and my social anxiety and depression have been getting worse every single day. I am finally seeing a doctor this week and I am kind of nervous how to talk to him about my problems. This is the first time I am going to the doctor and there is nothing wrong with me physically so I don't really know what to tell him.
So, why are you on a diet, if there's nothing wrong with you physically? Four months before your doctor's appointment is when you went on the diet. What did the doctor tell you, when you told him you'd been dieting for the past four months? Had you lost any weight at that point? Had you gained, or not gained or lost? What did the doctor tell you when you told him the results of that 4-month period of dieting?

You also didn't mention what kind of doctor you went to - if it was a PCP, then these issues certainly would've been discussed. If it was a psychiatrist, it certainly would've at least gotten a mention since certain drugs prescribed for mental health disorders can contribute to weight gain.

Old 02-28-2014, 03:59 PM

192 posts, read 250,481 times
Most responses you'll get are for a crash-diet, for losing weight fast, and accepting that you'll gain it back (after the wedding or photo shoot).

But if you want to stay thin, fit and healthy, search youtube for the term "Calories don't make you fat", understand the diet-trap and weight won't be a mystery, and soon won't be a concern.

People think it's hard to modify their diet. So just don't think about it. Just do it, and see what it's like. I have a new sense of freedom, along with health.

Old 03-06-2014, 05:43 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,114,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacman View Post
Most responses you'll get are for a crash-diet, for losing weight fast, and accepting that you'll gain it back (after the wedding or photo shoot).

But if you want to stay thin, fit and healthy, search youtube for the term "Calories don't make you fat", understand the diet-trap and weight won't be a mystery, and soon won't be a concern.

People think it's hard to modify their diet. So just don't think about it. Just do it, and see what it's like. I have a new sense of freedom, along with health.
Yep.

don't bother counting calories. do not eat processed foods.
Do not eat low fat food. It is filled with sugar.
Cook your meals at home.

Old 03-06-2014, 06:21 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,278,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
You posted this just a few days ago but two months ago you posted this in the mental health thread:

So, why are you on a diet, if there's nothing wrong with you physically? Four months before your doctor's appointment is when you went on the diet. What did the doctor tell you, when you told him you'd been dieting for the past four months? Had you lost any weight at that point? Had you gained, or not gained or lost? What did the doctor tell you when you told him the results of that 4-month period of dieting?

You also didn't mention what kind of doctor you went to - if it was a PCP, then these issues certainly would've been discussed. If it was a psychiatrist, it certainly would've at least gotten a mention since certain drugs prescribed for mental health disorders can contribute to weight gain.
Well, if she has mental health issues like depression, it can cause her to self-medicate with food.

Old 03-07-2014, 06:59 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
So sometimes people really DO have a health issue going on .
+1. I started gaining weight rapidly despite making no change in my diet and exercising regularly. And I mean strenuous cardio. It turned out I was taking a mood stabilizer that was notorious for causing weight gain. I had taken this same drug for over five years, and my weight was unaffected by it, but strangely, that changed and I began gaining a lot of weight with it. My doctor switched me to another one, and I lost 10 pounds in less than a month

Old 03-09-2014, 02:21 PM

18,015 posts, read 27,463,514 times
Quote:
Can anyone help me out and explain what happened?
I could take a stab at it.

A) You're too vague, as evidenced by the previous responses here. We need more to go on.

B) You seem to lack persistence, as evidenced by the fact that it's been almost two weeks on this thread and you've posted once. Was that your point with making this thread? To show that people jump to conclusions?

Either way, it's your serve.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:30 AM

198 posts, read 273,947 times
Default Re: Diet

Quote:
For the past 6 months I have been on a diet but somehow I gained 10 lbs. I exercise about 2 days a week as well. Can anyone help me out and explain what happened?
If you are weight lifting, you could be putting on weight due to muscle gain. Try to do more reps with lighter weights. Heavier weights with fewer reps will increase muscle gain...thus gaining weight. Good luck...dieting is so hard!

Old 03-11-2014, 09:41 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitteagirl View Post
If you are weight lifting, you could be putting on weight due to muscle gain. Try to do more reps with lighter weights. Heavier weights with fewer reps will increase muscle gain...thus gaining weight. Good luck...dieting is so hard!
More reps with lighter weights is pointless. I seriously doubt the weight gain is muscle related.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss