Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 06:27 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times

Advertisements

Given that there are literally hundreds of millions of people who eat no meat and have not eaten meat for centuries, I think you'll be ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 06:28 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
No just developing countries.....leading nutritional deficiency in the USA:

Iron Deficiency: Learn About Causes and Symptoms

Iron deficiency is the most common nutritional deficiency and the leading cause of anemia in the United States.
That has more to do with the fact that we eat a calorie-rich, nutrition-poor diet more than any lack of red meat consumption.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:14 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,947,840 times
What if say you are a child, who has aspirations to become a professional american football player? Will you need to consume red meat during your formative to grow into the large, hulking brute for football?

Now of course there are plenty of pro football players that are vegans and they attest to how much better that diet is for football, but I doubt they did this growing up. Would they still have grown into that size and strength without the red meat they ate as children and teens?

Old 04-16-2014, 08:57 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
You can get that from mushrooms, *and* there's no evidence that CLA has any use in humans. Therefore, for humans, it isn't a nutrient anyway so it doesn't matter what source it comes from.
Actually Anon, there is more evidence coming out every day that CLA has many uses for the human body and it appears that it can do things like fight cancer, lower body fat while preserving muscle, improve insulin sensitivity, and help those with asthma get off their inhalers. About your mushrooms, well funny that you mentioned them, b/c I remember reading something a number of years ago (back before they discovered about phytonutrients) that said there was no earthly reason to eat mushrooms unless you just really, really like them and that they may even be kind of bad for you. This was scientific in nature, not just someone's opinion. It said there was almost no food on earth more devoid in nutrients. LOL. We've certainly learned a lot about them since then, haven't we? I read almost the same thing about celery, but turns out that it has a very potent phytonutrient in it called apigenin that cuts off the blood supply to a tumor, among other interesting benefits. It also has a PN called luteolin that helps to fight dementia. So much for your empty foods.

For those who know much less about this than anon, it is a fatty acid and it remains to be seen if it's essential but I'm betting that it is. It is found in greater quantities in grassfed beef and dairy and in higher fat dairy. Skim milk has very little.

Last edited by stepka; 04-16-2014 at 09:21 PM..

Old 04-16-2014, 10:59 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,087,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
What if say you are a child, who has aspirations to become a professional american football player? Will you need to consume red meat during your formative to grow into the large, hulking brute for football?
No, there is nothing in red meat that you can't get from other foods. Actually red meat has lower quality protein than most seafood so you're better off eating the seafood.

Red meat has nothing to do with how large and muscular one gets and, in fact, you don't need to eat meat at all to get huge. There are a lot of people that have grown up vegetarian and they aren't smaller than those that eat meat so there is no reason to suspect a vegetarian diet + fish would reduce ones growth.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:06 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,087,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
For those who know much less about this than anon, it is a fatty acid and it remains to be seen if it's essential but I'm betting that it is. It is found in greater quantities in grassfed beef and dairy and in higher fat dairy. Skim milk has very little.
How does it remain to be seen? Fatty acids have been extensively researched and there are only two essential fats, namely, omega-6 and omega-3.

There are a lot of populations that don't eat red meat or milk.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:25 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,638,305 times
Quote:

Now of course there are plenty of pro football players that are vegans and they attest to how much better that diet is for football, but I doubt they did this growing up. Would they still have grown into that size and strength without the red meat they ate as children and teens?
I wouldn't say its just red meat, it's really just adequate levels of complete protein, along with lots of nutrients, vitamins and minerals. And also lots of sleep.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:54 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
How does it remain to be seen? Fatty acids have been extensively researched and there are only two essential fats, namely, omega-6 and omega-3.
Given the information that we know for sure now, you're right. My point to anon was that there is so much we don't know yet and that's why I told her about the mushrooms and celery being thought at one time to have no nutrition. Now, of course, we know better.

Old 04-17-2014, 02:25 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Quote:

What does this have to do with the topic? The topic (in case you forgot) is "What nutrients can only land meat give you, and can you be healthy without it?"

The answer is: none. There are no nutrients that you can only get from land meat.

Old 04-17-2014, 02:27 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Given the information that we know for sure now, you're right. My point to anon was that there is so much we don't know yet and that's why I told her about the mushrooms and celery being thought at one time to have no nutrition. Now, of course, we know better.
So you agree with me: there are no nutrients that only land meat can give you, which you would not be healthy without.

Sure, there might be nutrients that only land meat can provide - but there is no evidence that any of those nutrients are essential for human life. All of the nutrients that are essential for human life, can be found in foods that do not fall into the category "land meat."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss