Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 06:04 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,547,050 times

Advertisements

In the USA a lot of people seem to think that a high-protein diet is good for fitness. Fact is, if you eat more protein than you need, it is just adding calories. Even if you work out a lot, your protein needs are almost the same as the next person, according to what I have read.

All the extra protein is not only unnecessary, it could be bad for you. A source that isn't selling you anything:
Will Eating More Protein Help Your Body Gain Muscle Faster?

If you question the idea that Americans need to make sure to get enough protein, here's a source that isn't selling protein shakes or anything else:
Nutrition for Everyone: Basics: Protein | DNPAO | CDC

Why would a higher-protein diet be healthy? I can understand replacing trans-fat calories, maybe even sugar calories, with protein (maybe), but I think most Americans and many other people would do better to concentrate on other parts of their diet and not overdo the protein. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 08:22 PM

993 posts, read 1,561,293 times
I eat a TON of protein because I'm into bodybuilding.

As with everything, you can find two completely opposite viewpoints on the topic. So, I won't bore you by linking to the articles that I read that support my diet (unless you're interested, then I'd be happy to share). I do, however, want to comment on two points in your OP:

1) The first article you linked to is from 2002. New information and studies that change our knowledge regarding the topics of diet and fitness come out multiple times every year. So, something from 12 years ago is already somewhat dated. But I'm positive you can still find a more recent article to support your view.

2) The CDC, and many of the studies you'll read in your research, write guidelines for and study the average person. The average person is mostly sedentary and engages in, at most, three light to moderate 30-60 minute workouts per week. That kind of lifestyle definitely doesn't require a high intake of protein. Hardcore athletes and others concerned with building and maintaining lean muscle mass live a totally different lifestyle, and so it's no surprise that their diets should look different.

So, all in all, I agree with you that most Americans would not benefit from a high protein diet, but there are definitely individuals for whom it's necessary.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:34 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
I eat a fair amount of protein. I'm diabetic and supposed to eat low carb and low fat, that pretty much leaves protein.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:38 PM

4 posts, read 10,277 times
If your kidneys can't handle a lot of protein you will see bubbles into toilet after you urinate. Animal protein is harder on the kidneys.

Old 04-25-2014, 02:12 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
the inuits/eskimos subsisted on a diet mostly on proteins and fats.... and before they started eating processed stuff,,,they didnt have heart disease at rates of most countries

as someone already said, life is a balance, if you are very active, work out, its much different than being obese, sedentery, as to what is too much..

too much of anything can be unhealthy,,,,moderation is the key,
however, if given a choice, i am a beef lover...id eat rib-eyes burgers, just about everyday,, but i dont..

i also love sweets, id eat a whole cake or pie everyday if it was nutritious!!

i do believe a high protein, low carb diet will help you lose weight- it has been the most effective for me..

i love the flavor of meats, i was at a chinese buffet the other day, and loaded my plate with proteins,,and it was delicious!!
for a treat on the weekends, i fire up the grill and have some rib eye steks- about the best flavor i like-
and my dr. tells me he wishes he had the stats of blood pressure/ blood tests, i have,,
"whatever you are doing, keep doing it" was his answer..(i havent been in the hospital for over 40 yrs, and very rarely get sick, maybe one slight cold last yr...and no allergies..(i havent used a sick day at work for more than 10 yrs)

Last edited by mainebrokerman; 04-25-2014 at 02:25 AM..

Old 04-25-2014, 04:31 AM

3,399 posts, read 3,091,356 times
I have to eat a lot of protein due to stomach surgery with the result of a very small stomach. I didn't eat enough after surgery and the result was loss of hair on my head. I still have a hard time getting enough protein. I hate those protein shakes - the taste gags me.

Old 04-26-2014, 06:53 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sade693 View Post
I eat a TON of protein because I'm into bodybuilding.

As with everything, you can find two completely opposite viewpoints on the topic. So, I won't bore you by linking to the articles that I read that support my diet (unless you're interested, then I'd be happy to share). I do, however, want to comment on two points in your OP:

1) The first article you linked to is from 2002. New information and studies that change our knowledge regarding the topics of diet and fitness come out multiple times every year. So, something from 12 years ago is already somewhat dated. But I'm positive you can still find a more recent article to support your view.

2) The CDC, and many of the studies you'll read in your research, write guidelines for and study the average person. The average person is mostly sedentary and engages in, at most, three light to moderate 30-60 minute workouts per week. That kind of lifestyle definitely doesn't require a high intake of protein. Hardcore athletes and others concerned with building and maintaining lean muscle mass live a totally different lifestyle, and so it's no surprise that their diets should look different.

So, all in all, I agree with you that most Americans would not benefit from a high protein diet, but there are definitely individuals for whom it's necessary.
a mistake many anti-meat eaters would/will make is lump ALL meats together- the fresh meats should be separated from processed meats with all the nitrites/nitrates

when i was seriously working out, red meat was a primary staple in my diet,, the leaner steaks-top round steaks/eye round steaks/sirlon tip steaks, and lean burger
but i also splurged on some rib-eyes which had more marbling..

my buddies working out for body building contests also ate alot of protein, many times a day
they wouldnt eat a lot of fruit..
fruit, i was told- the body treats high sugar fruits like a high sugar donut..very similar..
very little dairy and veggies were good-

Old 04-26-2014, 08:52 AM

993 posts, read 1,561,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
a mistake many anti-meat eaters would/will make is lump ALL meats together- the fresh meats should be separated from processed meats with all the nitrites/nitrates

when i was seriously working out, red meat was a primary staple in my diet,, the leaner steaks-top round steaks/eye round steaks/sirlon tip steaks, and lean burger
but i also splurged on some rib-eyes which had more marbling..

my buddies working out for body building contests also ate alot of protein, many times a day
they wouldnt eat a lot of fruit..
fruit, i was told- the body treats high sugar fruits like a high sugar donut..very similar..
very little dairy and veggies were good-
I personally don't eat too much red meat - I'd love to, but it's a little outside of my budget. Your buddies are exactly right about fruit. I'll have an apple with my oatmeal some mornings and I'll sometimes chomp on a banana as my post-workout snack, but the fructose in fruit makes it food that should be eaten sparingly. Another good trick is to taper off your carb intake throughout the day, but that's a little harder to do if you workout in the afternoon or evening.

Another point on protein, OP, is that anyone who's trying to build muscle or is in the process of cutting needs certain supplements like BCAAs, CLA, and glutamine. You could pop a bunch of capsules daily to get those, OR you could include them in your regular diet. Meats and dairy products just so happen to be super high in all that.

This would have been a great discussion for the Health and Wellness board.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:35 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sade693 View Post
I personally don't eat too much red meat - I'd love to, but it's a little outside of my budget. Your buddies are exactly right about fruit. I'll have an apple with my oatmeal some mornings and I'll sometimes chomp on a banana as my post-workout snack, but the fructose in fruit makes it food that should be eaten sparingly. Another good trick is to taper off your carb intake throughout the day, but that's a little harder to do if you workout in the afternoon or evening.

Another point on protein, OP, is that anyone who's trying to build muscle or is in the process of cutting needs certain supplements like BCAAs, CLA, and glutamine. You could pop a bunch of capsules daily to get those, OR you could include them in your regular diet. Meats and dairy products just so happen to be super high in all that.

This would have been a great discussion for the Health and Wellness board.
I agree. As a type 2 diabetic, I eat most of my carb alotment in the morning, and less as the day goes on. For fruit I only eat a half cup of mixed berries (antioxidant) and a small tart Granny Smith apple. I don't overdo the protein but do consume extra gelatin during the day and with meals. I am not a body builder, but work out a little more than the average female, especially for my age (64). Love my dairy and eat a fair amount of it. For good protein, you can't beat a small can of sardines! Low cal, and packed with protein and minerals!

Old 04-28-2014, 03:04 PM

515 posts, read 1,004,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodstockSchool1980 View Post
In the USA a lot of people seem to think that a high-protein diet is good for fitness. Fact is, if you eat more protein than you need, it is just adding calories. Even if you work out a lot, your protein needs are almost the same as the next person, according to what I have read.

All the extra protein is not only unnecessary, it could be bad for you. A source that isn't selling you anything:
Will Eating More Protein Help Your Body Gain Muscle Faster?

If you question the idea that Americans need to make sure to get enough protein, here's a source that isn't selling protein shakes or anything else:
Nutrition for Everyone: Basics: Protein | DNPAO | CDC

Why would a higher-protein diet be healthy? I can understand replacing trans-fat calories, maybe even sugar calories, with protein (maybe), but I think most Americans and many other people would do better to concentrate on other parts of their diet and not overdo the protein. What do you think?
In the USA, people eat inordinate amounts of processed carbs and fats. Higher amounts of protein, coupled with a lot of vegetables, keeps you full and helps maintain and increase lean muscle mass, which increases metabolism. Plus, it's very hard to actively overeat when you base your meals around vegetables and protein since it is much denser.

I don't think people even know what protein really is until you educate them, either. I always tell people to eat protein and they're always like, well I had some yogurt, that has protein in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss