Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 04:27 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,866,126 times

Advertisements

I've lost 100lbs since February of this year when I was diagnosed with diabetes. I have more weight to lose, but it doesn't feel nearly as impossible as it used to.

I'm eating 1200 to 1400 calories a day and limiting my carbs. I walk my dogs at least 5 days a week and try to ride my bike several times a week (but right now the bikes are in storage while we move for our home repair). When we move back into our house, I want to buy an elliptical machine so I can exercise even when it's too hot outside to ride or walk.

I never used to want to go to the doctor because I was embarrassed about my weight and I was afraid I'd end up diagnosed with diabetes. Now I wish I'd gone a few years ago, because getting the diabetes under control has really helped get rid of my food cravings.

I just wanted to share the milestone I reached today, because 100lbs feels like a big deal to me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2014, 04:30 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,372,767 times
100 pounds IS a big deal!!!
Wow!

Old 06-21-2014, 05:00 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,312,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I've lost 100lbs since February of this year when I was diagnosed with diabetes. I have more weight to lose, but it doesn't feel nearly as impossible as it used to.

I'm eating 1200 to 1400 calories a day and limiting my carbs. I walk my dogs at least 5 days a week and try to ride my bike several times a week (but right now the bikes are in storage while we move for our home repair). When we move back into our house, I want to buy an elliptical machine so I can exercise even when it's too hot outside to ride or walk.

I never used to want to go to the doctor because I was embarrassed about my weight and I was afraid I'd end up diagnosed with diabetes. Now I wish I'd gone a few years ago, because getting the diabetes under control has really helped get rid of my food cravings.

I just wanted to share the milestone I reached today, because 100lbs feels like a big deal to me
Kudos to you and I am sure it has been a roller coaster for you! Hang in there H_M...one day at a time!

Best regards,

HomeIsWhere...

Old 06-21-2014, 05:05 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,126,723 times
That comes to 25 pounds a month.

It takes 3000 calories to make a pound. Therefore, you are saying that you cut approximately 2500 - 3000 calories PER DAY from your diet. You would have to have been eating more than 4500 calories a day in order to be able to reduce your calorie intake by THAT much and still eat 1200 - 1500 calories per day. (I'm using round numbers, not exact numbers).

Tell us what you were eating on a daily basis to consume 4500 calories a day, and I'll believe you.

20yrsinBranson

Old 06-21-2014, 05:29 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,501,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post

It takes 3000 calories to make a pound. Therefore, you are saying that you cut approximately 2500 - 3000 calories PER DAY from your diet. You would have to have been eating more than 4500 calories a day in order to be able to reduce your calorie intake by THAT much and still eat 1200 - 1500 calories per day. (I'm using round numbers, not exact numbers).

Tell us what you were eating on a daily basis to consume 4500 calories a day, and I'll believe you.

20yrsinBranson
If someone is really large to begin with, then losing 100 lbs in 4 months is actually reasonable. I've watched many of those weight loss shows where the person gastric bypass but have to lose some weight before the surgery. One person was put on a 1200 calorie a day diet before the surgery (but in the hospital) and lost 100 lbs in 6 weeks.

There are people who do Optifast and lose 100 lbs in 100 days.

It's certainly possible.

Old 06-21-2014, 05:33 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,519,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post

Congrats. That's just freaking awesome.

Old 06-21-2014, 05:35 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,572,221 times
Hedgehog Mom - that is an incredible feat and I'm extremely proud of you as I bet your whole family is too. I'm sure you not only look better but also feel much better physically as well as mentally. You are NOT accountable to anybody on this forum or anywhere else for that matter - only yourself - you have done an incredible thing and the dedication and work involved is just phenomenal. Good job!!!!!

Old 06-21-2014, 05:47 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,866,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post

20yrsinBranson
I was overeating pretty grossly...buying whole bags of candy or chips and eating them in a day, or eating a whole tub of ice cream in a day. I also made homemade bread every day (we went through at least 5lbs of flour a week) and to feed four of us dinner, I would usually cook 2 packages of pasta with a pound of meat, or I'd cook 3lbs of beef for tacos, and make 30 tortillas, plus rice on the side. I'd get up in the middle of the night and eat the leftovers. I would actually have trouble sleeping if I knew there were leftovers in the house. I can't explain it, there's no way any sane person would think they should consume that much food in a day. I did that for a couple of years. Last summer I tried to lose weight by eating salad, but I would eat four or five plates of salad and then dinner besides, so I gained weight instead.

I was also having a lot of trouble walking. I couldn't even walk through Walmart. To cook dinner, I had to take a chair in the kitchen. I couldn't walk to the mailbox at the end of my street.

The only reason I went to the doctor is that I started having major menstrual problems. I went to the ER because I was bleeding so much in September, and they did a biopsy and diagnosed endometrial hyperplasia, which is a precancerous change. They gave meds that stopped the bleeding for a little while. I went back in December because I was going through a box of super plus tampons and 7 or 8 overnight pads a day and my arms got so weak I couldn't lift them, plus every time I moved my heart beat so loud it sounded like drums in my head. (I tried to make an appointment to see the doctor that time, but they said I had to go to the ER.) I had two transfusions and they said I had to have surgery to rule out cancer. I went for the presurgery bloodwork and that's when the diabetes was diagnosed. I started eating 1500 calories a day, and tried for only 120 carbs a day. The iron pills I had to take for anemia made me nauseated, and the metformin for diabetes gave me bad diarrhea, which I think helped get the weight loss started. Also, if you eat too many carbs or too much fat in one meal while you're taking metformin, you usually end up getting pretty sick.

Old 06-21-2014, 05:54 PM

50,361 posts, read 63,939,201 times
Wow, good for you! I almost wish I could give up bad food and lose so easily. I've been spending $42. a month on weight watchers, and I've only lost 8 lbs in 3 months. Unfortunately, I already ate healthy, so for me its all about portion control.

Old 06-21-2014, 06:07 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,774,263 times
Congrats on a milestone on your way back to good health!

I won't ask how much you weigh - it's none of our business -

But do please remember that your weight loss will start slowing down, while consuming the same number of calories that you're consuming now. This is a good thing, not a bad thing. As you get closer to your target weight, your body is no longer needing to work as hard as it did (and thus, burn fewer calories), when you were heavier.

Don't get discouraged if you do notice a slow-down. It just means you're closer to your goal, and that's something to celebrate! Keep up the excellent work and congratulations again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss