Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 06:44 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,284,151 times

Advertisements

I'm so jealous, i need to lose 100lbs and it seems an impossible task to accomplish, it makes giving up smoking childs play by comparison.
Congratulations on your success, how are you able to maintain 1400 calories a day? are you on some particular diet? or doing it through sheer willpower.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2014, 07:11 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times
Congratulations. That's a lot of weight very quickly. Are you going to need surgery for the loose skin?

Old 06-22-2014, 08:20 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,516,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I've lost 100lbs since February of this year when I was diagnosed with diabetes. I have more weight to lose, but it doesn't feel nearly as impossible as it used to.

I'm eating 1200 to 1400 calories a day and limiting my carbs. I walk my dogs at least 5 days a week and try to ride my bike several times a week (but right now the bikes are in storage while we move for our home repair). When we move back into our house, I want to buy an elliptical machine so I can exercise even when it's too hot outside to ride or walk.

I never used to want to go to the doctor because I was embarrassed about my weight and I was afraid I'd end up diagnosed with diabetes. Now I wish I'd gone a few years ago, because getting the diabetes under control has really helped get rid of my food cravings.

I just wanted to share the milestone I reached today, because 100lbs feels like a big deal to me
wow, great news!!! Can you tell us what you usually eat?

Old 06-22-2014, 09:29 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,863,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Congratulations. That's a lot of weight very quickly. Are you going to need surgery for the loose skin?

I won't know that for a while, I need to get closer to my goal weight to figure that out. My mother used to offer to pay for weight loss surgery, now she says if I end up needing surgery for excess skin, she will help pay for that instead.

Old 06-22-2014, 12:22 PM

9,850 posts, read 7,718,719 times
Congrats - that is WONDERFUL! You have turned into a new person in many ways! Very happy for you - keep it up because it's easier to keep your new lifestyle than try to lose it again if the weight starts coming back.

Old 06-22-2014, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I'm so jealous, i need to lose 100lbs and it seems an impossible task to accomplish, it makes giving up smoking childs play by comparison.
Congratulations on your success, how are you able to maintain 1400 calories a day? are you on some particular diet? or doing it through sheer willpower.?
No particular diet. I'm using a website called Spark People to track my weight, calories and carbs.

I haven't been as hungry as I remember being during previous weight loss efforts. I think that's because I am not eating things that make my blood sugar spike, so I don't end up having a drop afterwards which makes me hungry.

Old 06-22-2014, 01:42 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,670,441 times
That is wonderful! You took control of your life and eating and made a major lifestyle change, which very few people can accomplish. With continued diet and exercise you will probably be reaching your goal weight before 2015. Way to go!

Old 06-22-2014, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
wow, great news!!! Can you tell us what you usually eat?

I eat different things, depending on how I feel that day. I had found something really good for breakfast...an egg, two egg whites, a grated carrot, half a grated yellow squash, a cup of baby spinach, some garlic and some onion powder, all cooked and then topped with a tablespoon of shredded cheddar. But my cholesterol was good before I started this way of eating, and then went up, so I quit eating eggs for breakfast to see if that will help. Now I usually have a Greek yogurt or a cup of berries. Sometimes I skip breakfast. I like oatmeal for breakfast, but it makes my sugar spike so I no longer eat it.

For lunch I have a can of soup. The sodium is not good for me and I know it, but I really like canned soup. I stick to soups that have 20 carbs or less per serving, which means 40 or less carbs in the whole can. I used to add a cup of spinach to the soup before I heated it up, to make it more filling. Now it fills me up without the spinach.

Dinner is usually a grilled chicken breast and vegetables...broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, yellow squash, asparagus, eggplant, etc. whatever is on sale. Not potatoes, and not many carrots because of the sugar. Salad is okay too but I've found that I have to measure the salad dressings I use so I don't get too many calories that way, and also the fat free salad dressings always have a lot more carbs, so I don't use those. Those steamable bags of veggies are pretty good if you're in a hurry.

I've found that cauliflower is a good substitute for rice or pasta...you can find lots of recipes for cauliflower rice. Fresh cauliflower is expensive so I use the frozen stuff. I use it in pasta salad
and in macaroni and cheese, to replace half the pasta, but I only make things like that every once in a while. I make cauliflower rice a couple of times a week. Even my husband who doesn't like vegetables will eat cauliflower rice.

For snacks, I eat those 80 calorie fiber bars, or a serving of peanut butter filled pretzels. Sometimes I will have a tiny cup of ice cream...I buy the package of individual cups because that makes portion control easier.

I usually plan my meals for the day ahead of time and enter all my meals for the day into the calorie tracker before I eat anything that day. That way I know what I have allotted for the day and it helps me know how many snacks I can have, if I get hungry.

Another thing I've figured out is that if I want something really badly, I should go ahead and eat it and just plan the rest of the day's meals around it. For example, if I want a burger from a restaurant, then I will eat less for breakfast and lunch so I can have the burger for dinner.

Old 06-22-2014, 02:53 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
My favorite dressing is balsamic vinegar with olive oil, fresh minced garlic, oregano, and cracked black pepper. It has *zero* carbs, *zero* glycemic load. It'd delicious and healthy.

You can also make a whole meal out of a salad with that dressing, and make enough dressing to last a week without having to refrigerate it or worry that it'll go bad.

For the entree version of a salad -

Get some field greens, also known as Mesclun or Spring Mix, with baby spinach. Lots of fiber and iron and vitamins A and C just in the greens alone.

Add a couple of ounces of roasted or grilled boneless skinless chicken breast. Unmarinated, unbreaded. Just meat, chunked up. Call them "tenders" if it suits you better

Add 1/2 ounce of crumbled gorgonzola dressing. Gorgonzola has a lot of sodium but 1/2 ounce will give you the salty cheesy flavor with only 155 mg sodium, and 50 calories.

Add some *fresh* red onion, just enough to give it a tangy aftertaste. Chopped up, maybe a tablespoon or two. A few cherry tomatoes, cut in half. A tablespoon of roasted sunflower seeds, unsalted.

Then add the dressing - maybe 2-3 tablespoons, that's really all you need. If you put it all together in a plastic baggie and shake it before dumping it out into the salad bowl, it'll coat every inch of it with just the smallest amount of dressing.

And - it's delicious.

Old 06-22-2014, 03:27 PM

98 posts, read 107,433 times
good for you, I was diagnosed in March,2013, I have managed to lose 60 pounds in nine month, unfortunately, I have been stuck at one weight for the last year. I still want to lose 35 more pound. My last two a1c tests were 6.1, went down from 6.9 at diagnosis. Keep up the great work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss