Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 08:03 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,889,091 times

Advertisements

I've heard that you're supposed to wait a year after your weight has stabilized to allow your skin to tighten up as much as it will. A reputable surgeon will not operate until you've waited at least that long, from what I've heard.

I've lost 150 lbs (actually lost 180 but I gained 30 back). I'm in my late 30's. My skin heals pretty well, as far as scars go. During the fastest part of my weight loss (I lost it all in a year), I had huge amounts of empty hanging skin, especially on my thighs and upper arms. My boobs were pretty bad too, had to tuck lots of wrinkled skin into my bra just right if I wore a shirt that had any cleavage at all. I haven't lost any weight since December and all of the wrinkled, empty skin has shrunk up. The other side effects of my rapid weight loss have started to improve too...I had lost most of my hair but it's coming back now, and the female issues and terrible anxiety that I was having have all started to even out.

As far as bat wings go, that's what cute little shrugs or dressy little jackets are good for. Scarves and shawls will also disguise that area while you give your body time to heal itself.

I have more weight to lose later on, but the side effects of losing as much weight as I did were becoming too unbearable, so I decided to stop for a while.

Exercise will help you too, give you something to focus on other than the worry about loose skin and add shape and definition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 08:03 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,332,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conlainhothuong View Post
You really think so? I sure hope so (although I dont want to put my hopes way up there). I had an evaluation done by some cosmetic surgeons and they said I have "significant lose skin" that will need to be removed. I have pretty good genes that run in my family. My mom was overweight at one point and she's 20 years older than me, but when she got down to 140, there wasnt any lose skin, but she wasnt really overweight to begin with she went from 170 -> 140 whereas I need to lose at least 100 lbs, 110 would be best.
For one thing, EVERY cosmetic surgeon is going to tell you you need cosmetic surgery. They are hoping to have you as a customer. YOU are the only one who should be deciding if you need cosmetic surgery, not the guy who stands to gain. And that will be up to whether or not you are happy with yourself when you reach your goal.

I gained almost 70 lbs during my pregnancy, I was 35 at the time. Lost all the weight after my son was born and was only left with a few stretch marks and a little bit of sagging around the middle. Not enough to make me ever consider going under the knife, and I looked pretty darned good in shorts and a tight t-shirt . You are younger than that, your skin is very elastic at this age.

My advice to you is to just worry about one thing at a time. Loose skin may never happen, so don't give yourself stress wondering what you'll do if it does. Just focus on the great progress you're making and getting healthy. Everything else will fall into place on its own.

Old 07-10-2015, 08:09 PM

586 posts, read 832,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
I tried to look at it 10lbs at a time...I would reward myself(not with food) but a manicure or pedicure something small everytime I lost another ten pounds...it made it less overwhelming...
Exactly what I am also doing right now! I look at it in 10- 15 lb increments. The grand number is just too scary to think about.

Old 07-10-2015, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Exactly what I am also doing right now! I look at it in 10- 15 lb increments. The grand number is just too scary to think about.

That's what I did too...every time I lost another 10lbs, I bought myself another pair of pretty panties as a reward. When I got to 100lbs, I got a pair of cowboy boots as my reward. But I never set a goal of 100lbs or 150lbs to start out with, the small numbers were much easier to think of.

Old 07-10-2015, 08:13 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,660,273 times
Quote:
Oh no, I hate scars! I hope my body bounces back somewhat since I am on the younger side. I think I will hold off on the tummy tuck because I plan on having 1 more kid (much later down the road, at least 3 years from now). I dont want to get a tummy tuck now, only to experience the same problem after another pregnancy.

I know I will feel intimidated by the "bat wings" though, even now I can see it sagging. My siblings jokingly told me I have chubby baby arms. I dont find it offensive though, I tend to laugh with them.
Absolutely time is on your side...my baby days were long over by then...my husband jiggled my arms one day and called it my fun fat...he never made that mistake again...

Old 07-10-2015, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I've heard that you're supposed to wait a year after your weight has stabilized to allow your skin to tighten up as much as it will. A reputable surgeon will not operate until you've waited at least that long, from what I've heard.

I've lost 150 lbs (actually lost 180 but I gained 30 back). I'm in my late 30's. My skin heals pretty well, as far as scars go. During the fastest part of my weight loss (I lost it all in a year), I had huge amounts of empty hanging skin, especially on my thighs and upper arms. My boobs were pretty bad too, had to tuck lots of wrinkled skin into my bra just right if I wore a shirt that had any cleavage at all. I haven't lost any weight since December and all of the wrinkled, empty skin has shrunk up. The other side effects of my rapid weight loss have started to improve too...I had lost most of my hair but it's coming back now, and the female issues and terrible anxiety that I was having have all started to even out.

As far as bat wings go, that's what cute little shrugs or dressy little jackets are good for. Scarves and shawls will also disguise that area while you give your body time to heal itself.

I have more weight to lose later on, but the side effects of losing as much weight as I did were becoming too unbearable, so I decided to stop for a while.

Exercise will help you too, give you something to focus on other than the worry about loose skin and add shape and definition.
Did you lose 150 lbs in a year? I cant imagine ever losing that much, but it kinda makes sense that if somewhere to lose 10 lbs a months or even 8 lbs a month they could lose 96 - 120 lbs. I am just taking it one day at a time, not really doing anything extreme. if I am hungry, I eat, but I limit my portions and the weight is just falling off. I was grocery shopping with both my kids and baby wearing my youngest (ergo) and it fit much more comfortable around my waist, it used to be so tight. Haha, he either lost weight or I am really losing inches.

Old 07-10-2015, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
For one thing, EVERY cosmetic surgeon is going to tell you you need cosmetic surgery. They are hoping to have you as a customer. YOU are the only one who should be deciding if you need cosmetic surgery, not the guy who stands to gain. And that will be up to whether or not you are happy with yourself when you reach your goal.

I gained almost 70 lbs during my pregnancy, I was 35 at the time. Lost all the weight after my son was born and was only left with a few stretch marks and a little bit of sagging around the middle. Not enough to make me ever consider going under the knife, and I looked pretty darned good in shorts and a tight t-shirt . You are younger than that, your skin is very elastic at this age.

My advice to you is to just worry about one thing at a time. Loose skin may never happen, so don't give yourself stress wondering what you'll do if it does. Just focus on the great progress you're making and getting healthy. Everything else will fall into place on its own.
Yea, I tend to over worry about everything. My husband keeps giving me the nudge and saying "calm down, lose weight first and we will go from there. If you need surgery or want it done I will come up with the money" He said he's not going to mind if I get saggy boobs, and he has faith that my skin will bounce back somewhat since he said its elastic but if it doesnt and makes me miserable he's supportive in getting the surgery.

Old 07-10-2015, 08:23 PM

I guess, i will stay covered up for the fist year or so ( I am already now). I just have a TON of awesome clothes hanging in my closet (yupe I was young and reckless before I met my husband and bought cute clothes every 2 weeks in hopes of it being my motivator. I didnt get the motivation I needed, but I earned myself a wardrobe of itty bitty clothes).

Old 07-11-2015, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Did you lose 150 lbs in a year? I cant imagine ever losing that much, but it kinda makes sense that if somewhere to lose 10 lbs a months or even 8 lbs a month they could lose 96 - 120 lbs. I am just taking it one day at a time, not really doing anything extreme. if I am hungry, I eat, but I limit my portions and the weight is just falling off. I was grocery shopping with both my kids and baby wearing my youngest (ergo) and it fit much more comfortable around my waist, it used to be so tight. Haha, he either lost weight or I am really losing inches.

I did lose that much in a year. I was a little over 400 to start with. Got diagnosed with diabetes, started taking meds for it and eating 1200 to 1500 calories a day. I couldn't exercise at first because I could barely walk, and then because I was healing up from surgery for gyn issues. By the time I was able to start exercising, I had lost 100 lbs.

I weighed 408 in Dec 2013 and 227 in Dec 2014. Like I said in the other post, my hair mostly fell out and I had problems with anxiety, bad enough that it was hard to leave the house sometimes. My doctors said it was probably related to hormonal changes from losing that much weight.

The weight loss slows down over time...I was losing 30lbs a month at first and then it slowed to a real trickle. Then I got a Mirena IUD and started gaining weight again. Then it came out and I had to take progesterone pills for a few months and gained some more back. So right now I'm about 255 and that's actually not too horrible...my hair is growing back (I do have a nice collection of wigs built up though) and I've been able to stop the progesterone pills.

One thing to watch out for since you said that you want to wait a few years to have another child is that you become more fertile as you lose weight. When I was in my 20's, the hubby and I went on a diet together and I lost 80 lbs that time, but then I got pregnant three months into the diet.

Old 07-11-2015, 05:44 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,809,512 times
I have read that what you want to do is boost the collagen in your skin and what you need for that is protein and vitamin C. The two amino acids that will feed it best is threonine and proline and threonine can be found in beans and dairy and proline can be found in gelatin. It's pointless to take collagen supplements b/c it doesn't get absorbed in the way you need it to be. Silica is good for skin hair and nails too. I guess what I'm trying to say is make sure you're getting well nourished and take a vitamin C supplement lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss