Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 07:00 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,738,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by conlainhothuong View Post
Haha, that 100 lb number sure is scary. Whenever I look or think about it, I keep asking myself how in the world did I get so out of control? Feel like I am dug myself a grave and now trying to slowly crawl out of it.
Just keep looking FORWARD. You can't do anything now about how you got where you were. You can just do something now about where you are going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2015, 07:01 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
I tried to look at it 10lbs at a time...I would reward myself(not with food) but a manicure or pedicure something small everytime I lost another ten pounds...it made it less overwhelming...
That's what I am doing. I lost ten pounds and then I said, "I just have to do this six more times." It makes it more manageable mentally.

Old 07-11-2015, 07:57 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,329,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I did lose that much in a year. I was a little over 400 to start with. Got diagnosed with diabetes, started taking meds for it and eating 1200 to 1500 calories a day. I couldn't exercise at first because I could barely walk, and then because I was healing up from surgery for gyn issues. By the time I was able to start exercising, I had lost 100 lbs.

I weighed 408 in Dec 2013 and 227 in Dec 2014. Like I said in the other post, my hair mostly fell out and I had problems with anxiety, bad enough that it was hard to leave the house sometimes. My doctors said it was probably related to hormonal changes from losing that much weight.

The weight loss slows down over time...I was losing 30lbs a month at first and then it slowed to a real trickle. Then I got a Mirena IUD and started gaining weight again. Then it came out and I had to take progesterone pills for a few months and gained some more back. So right now I'm about 255 and that's actually not too horrible...my hair is growing back (I do have a nice collection of wigs built up though) and I've been able to stop the progesterone pills.

One thing to watch out for since you said that you want to wait a few years to have another child is that you become more fertile as you lose weight. When I was in my 20's, the hubby and I went on a diet together and I lost 80 lbs that time, but then I got pregnant three months into the diet.
You are a real inspiration to others and I very much appreciate all your posts on these forums. Congratulations on the achievements you've made. They are significant, and I think your experience is very helpful to those who care to listen.

I think it's interesting what you said about fertility, because it seems every time I get serious about losing weight I get a period (over 50 so they come and go these days). I always thought, this can't be a coincidence.

I wish you much continued success!

Old 07-11-2015, 11:15 AM

438 posts, read 269,484 times
I want to say kudos to Hedgehog_ Mom too. Very helpful information, thank you!

As far as fertility/periods, fat cells are a storage area for estrogen. As you lose fat that estrogen is released back into the body. For a few months I had periods every 2 weeks, and I'm in menopause. My doctor told me that's completely normal.

GOOD FOR YOU for losing weight at an age when you can again enjoy vibrant health and life! You'll love it!! I'm much older, but still am appreciating having more energy and mobility. I've lost 60 lbs. and have 90 to go, and am already liking being able to donate the fattest of the "fat clothes" and shopping my own closet for cuter things.

AND - this is important - if you have a supportive husband, you have a major advantage. Enjoy the present, don't worry about the future. Just stay on course and be sure to give thanks for your blessings every day. Good luck to you!

Old 07-11-2015, 12:03 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,060,996 times
The general consensus seems to be that loose skin is mostly a genetic thing and you're either going to have it or you won't and there really isn't much of a way to tell until you actually lose the weight.

Old 07-11-2015, 12:26 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,329,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote lite View Post
I've lost 60 lbs. and have 90 to go, and am already liking being able to donate the fattest of the "fat clothes" and shopping my own closet for cuter things.

AND - this is important - if you have a supportive husband, you have a major advantage. Enjoy the present, don't worry about the future. Just stay on course and be sure to give thanks for your blessings every day. Good luck to you!
Congratulations! That is a great achievement. I agree with you on the support thing. I have been trying for 4 years to lose the 65 lbs I gained when I quit smoking. I am finally making serious progress primarily because my husband is finally on the same page with me. It makes a huge difference.

Old 07-11-2015, 01:12 PM

586 posts, read 831,024 times
HedgeHog_Mom - like everyone already said, you truly are an inspiration! Congrats to you for losing all the weight ON YOUR OWN! I know a lot of people would look into gastric bypass or something, but losing over 150 lbs from pure motivation and hard work is amazing. I hope to follow in your footsteps.

Were you very strict on the dieting thing or just stuck to 1200 - 1500 calories and the weight automatically fell off? I cant imagine myself losing 150 lbs in a year...I would love to lose 12 lbs per months although I know it doesnt always play out that way.

Old 07-11-2015, 01:19 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
is it pure vitamin E oil (the one that comes in small 4 oz bottle) or a cream/lotion that contains vitamin E?
You want the pure vitamin E oil. You can get it at any drug store. Mix it in with your regular moisturizing lotion. And drink lots of water!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Exercise will help you too, give you something to focus on other than the worry about loose skin and add shape and definition.
Strength training will fill some of that skin up with muscles!

Quote:
I guess, i will stay covered up for the fist year or so ( I am already now).
Don't do that. Wear what you want to wear and be proud of your progress.

Old 07-11-2015, 04:22 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,649,922 times
From what I was told age and genetics are the two big factors in having/or not having loose skin...not only was I 45 but had two c-sections and very fair skin...on my abdomen alone the surgeon removed 5lbs of loose skin!!!

Old 07-11-2015, 04:40 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,866,126 times
Quote:
HedgeHog_Mom - like everyone already said, you truly are an inspiration! Congrats to you for losing all the weight ON YOUR OWN! I know a lot of people would look into gastric bypass or something, but losing over 150 lbs from pure motivation and hard work is amazing. I hope to follow in your footsteps.

Were you very strict on the dieting thing or just stuck to 1200 - 1500 calories and the weight automatically fell off? I cant imagine myself losing 150 lbs in a year...I would love to lose 12 lbs per months although I know it doesnt always play out that way.
I stuck to my calories and carbs the whole time...I had some precancerous female problems because of my weight and then I didn't start breathing again after anesthesia for surgery to treat that problem, and they said the anesthesia issues were because of my weight, so between all of that and the diabetes, I was really motivated to get rid of the weight.

I need to lose another 100lbs to be at a healthy weight but I had to take a break and let my body even itself out.

I noticed once I started exercising a lot, that my appetite really increased. That's an issue I've got to figure out when I start on the next stage of my weight loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss