Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 04:52 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,687,488 times

Advertisements

Seems like a pretty good diet on all fronts. You could try cutting down on the snacks. I know snacks are currently fashionable, but I think they're not a great idea.

You don't mention how long you've been dieting - maybe it's just taking a while to kick in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2015, 04:56 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,078,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Kellogg View Post
Regarding lack of protein: You still get protein from eating vegetables and starches. Not to the level of eating meat/dairy, but it sounds like your number-one goal right now is to lose weight, not to avoid some kind of nebulous "protein deficiency" status. The needs for protein are very low and easily attained by eating vegetables. If you're trying to become a bodybuilder or a powerlifter, that's a different story entirely.
The RDA recommendation assumes a sedentary lifestyle. It is laughably inadequate for someone involved in any real form of exercise and .8g/lb of LBM is about the minimum they should be taking in, and that will be very hard to do with vegetables.

Old 07-16-2015, 05:21 PM

380 posts, read 653,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
The RDA recommendation assumes a sedentary lifestyle. It is laughably inadequate for someone involved in any real form of exercise and .8g/lb of LBM is about the minimum they should be taking in, and that will be very hard to do with vegetables.
What's the RDA recommendation? I didn't cite that in my post.

I eat no meat or dairy and run about 40 miles per week (in addition to hiking a ton with my dog), which is hardly sedentary. If my protein is "laughably inadequate," someone should tell my body that, because it's functioning better than it has in ages. I don't eat only vegetables though -- I eat oatmeal and fruit and bread and stuff.

Old 07-16-2015, 06:11 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,230,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post

Do you have anything suggestions to offer other than "calories in, calories out"? I'm more than willing to try just about anything (other than pills and surgery )
Again, have you had your BMR tested?

It IS calories in, calories out. You can't argue with physics.
The trouble is figuring the 'out' because it's affected by so many factors - like thyroid.

Get the testing done and then at least you'll know if you're burning a normal amount for your body - which would mean the thyroid is controlled and it's your diet that's the culprit; or whether it's something extremely low like 600 - which means your meds aren't working 100%. If that's the case you'd need to either adjust meds, or cut your diet and/or up exercise to create a deficit with that number. Which, depending how low you need to go, may not be healthy.

Old 07-16-2015, 08:47 PM

Quote:
What's the RDA recommendation? I didn't cite that in my post.

I eat no meat or dairy and run about 40 miles per week (in addition to hiking a ton with my dog), which is hardly sedentary. If my protein is "laughably inadequate," someone should tell my body that, because it's functioning better than it has in ages. I don't eat only vegetables though -- I eat oatmeal and fruit and bread and stuff.
And what's your protein intake relative to bodyweight?

Old 07-16-2015, 08:48 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,080,437 times
Quote:
Hummus: Sounds good!

I'd personally stay away from all peanut butter if I were trying to lose weight. I eat a couple tablespoons of almond butter daily currently, but I'm at my ideal weight right now (155 lbs.; 5-foot-10 male).

Nuts: Sounds good.

Regarding lack of protein: You still get protein from eating vegetables and starches. Not to the level of eating meat/dairy, but it sounds like your number-one goal right now is to lose weight, not to avoid some kind of nebulous "protein deficiency" status. The needs for protein are very low and easily attained by eating vegetables. If you're trying to become a bodybuilder or a powerlifter, that's a different story entirely.
I think I might play around with the protein/carb/fat values and see if that helps.

Quote:
I honestly fail to see anything wrong other than what I mentioned previously and I think that is your best bet for getting back on track.
There was nothing wrong and I've actually upped my calories to see if that works. I wasn't asking for anything new from those that have contributed advice...and I'm very appreciative of the suggestions. It's made me consider a few different approaches and I've learned some new things too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Seems like a pretty good diet on all fronts. You could try cutting down on the snacks. I know snacks are currently fashionable, but I think they're not a great idea.

You don't mention how long you've been dieting - maybe it's just taking a while to kick in?
I've been at it since mid-April. I thought I had mentioned that but I may have left that tidbit out. Sorry! And you are right, it might just take time to kick in. Some days my waking hours are from 4:30am to 11pm. I admit, snacking is not the best option but sometimes it's hard to get through a whole day without a small snack. It's easy to eat a handful of nuts in the car to hold me over to dinner when I can eat a regular meal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
Again, have you had your BMR tested?

It IS calories in, calories out. You can't argue with physics.
The trouble is figuring the 'out' because it's affected by so many factors - like thyroid.

Get the testing done and then at least you'll know if you're burning a normal amount for your body - which would mean the thyroid is controlled and it's your diet that's the culprit; or whether it's something extremely low like 600 - which means your meds aren't working 100%. If that's the case you'd need to either adjust meds, or cut your diet and/or up exercise to create a deficit with that number. Which, depending how low you need to go, may not be healthy.
Oh, I know it's calories in, calories out, I wasn't dismissing that at all. I was addressing that specific poster who argued that metabolic issues were not an excuse to being overweight. I was just wondering if she had anything to add since I didn't use it as an excuse.

I have some testing scheduled for October. That's my next appt and she is doing a heart study and some metabolic testing (I'll have to e-mail and find out what specific testing she is going to do. She did set my appt first thing and told me to plan on a half-day off from work). She knows I'm trying to lose weight and she knows I have not been successful...I may just have to be patient for that appointment but I was hoping to figure it out on my own before that. She is not overly concerned with my weight, at least not so much that she felt I needed to get this testing done immediately. I'm not a patient person sometimes though

Thank you all for the advice.
Most of you gave some really great insight and I really appreciate it!

Old 07-16-2015, 08:51 PM

Are you going to try the two weeks at maintenance and then move back into it?

Old 07-16-2015, 10:07 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,332,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
I'm under the care of a doctor and have been seeing someone every 12-16 weeks for the last several years. I'm on my 4th medication for it. Yes it can be easily managed, and while mine is acceptable as of my last appointment, they watch it very closely. My body tends to do well on a new med for about 9 months or so, and then it stops being effective. Of the symptoms we are trying to control, weight is one of the least of my concerns. Since I seem to be under decent control now, I figured it's a good time to try to drop a few pounds.

However, it is currently difficult to lose weight. I've done it very, very easily without having this diagnosis in the past so I know what I have done to lose weight. That wasn't working so I made some changes and that wasn't working either. Maybe it's age, maybe it's the issues with thyroid, maybe it is something else that needs tweaking...don't know. It's why I posted asking for suggestions and insight from others on here.

Do you have anything suggestions to offer other than "calories in, calories out"? I'm more than willing to try just about anything (other than pills and surgery )
You don't have to defend yourself to anyone. Some people only show up here to remind us that the world is full of jerks. Most of us ignore them and focus on the people who are actually trying to be helpful.

Old 07-17-2015, 06:27 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,080,437 times
Quote:
Are you going to try the two weeks at maintenance and then move back into it?
I upped my calories and I'm going light in the gym. I took a spill down the stairs yesterday and while I thought I was okay, I was REALLY feeling it today when I got out of bed, so I'm kind of forced to slow it down. I hurt my shoulder, lower back and outter thigh/hip area...sheesh...so clutzy! lol

I think I might spend more time in a pool the next few days rather than on the weights until I am feeling back to normal.

Old 07-17-2015, 04:36 PM

17,538 posts, read 39,160,131 times
Having a disorder like Hashimoto's can make things very difficult. I myself am Type 2 diabetic and it took me a LONG TIME to lose my weight, I thought I never would! Incidentally, I read people with 'Type 2 and other disorders have sleep issues, I am the same as you, body doesn't want to sleep much, and I don't feel tired.

Here is what worked for me. I work out plenty, but I never overdo two days in a row. I break up my daily workouts into manageable increments and let myself recover. I eat a complete breakfast - one egg, two strips bacon some toast and fruit. I then work it off. Lunch is usually protein like tuna or sardines (GREAT high protein, low fat, no car) and a small piece of fruit and handful of nuts. Usually do not snack until dinner. Dinner is meat or fish and salad or veggies, sometimes a carb like egg noodles. I do like wine and drink a glass or two. I finally managed to lose my last 20 pounds on this regimen, weight started falling off. The trick is to make sure you are really exerting yourself in increments when you exercise (like HIIT). Fat literally started melting off and I am actually now concerned I will lose too much weight!

Good luck, sometimes it seems impossible, but if I could do it I guarantee you can too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss