Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 09:00 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,057,740 times

Advertisements

Updates?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 06:43 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,064,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
Updates?
I still go to the gym 5 days a week and I've been running on my off days only (just a quick 3 mile). Stopped being so rigid with the calories...eating anywhere from 1500 - 1800, based on hunger. I've been trying to get to bed earlier, and have been getting about 6 to 6.5 hours.

Weight has stayed put, no gains or losses. I have noticed that I don't feel like I need a nap after a rigorous workout though, so the energy is better

Old 07-24-2015, 08:17 AM

88,518 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
I still go to the gym 5 days a week and I've been running on my off days only (just a quick 3 mile). Stopped being so rigid with the calories...eating anywhere from 1500 - 1800, based on hunger. I've been trying to get to bed earlier, and have been getting about 6 to 6.5 hours.

Weight has stayed put, no gains or losses. I have noticed that I don't feel like I need a nap after a rigorous workout though, so the energy is better
I long suspected that not getting enough sleep has a lot to do with weight loss, and now I keep reading that everywhere. Of course there's the part where you can't eat while you're sleeping (although some people do--that's another story). But I think it's also that the body needs the sleep to let the kidneys process water and the muscles to refresh themselves.

I was on vacation last week. I didn't make a pig of myself, but I was somewhat looser with watching what I consumed, and I drank more alcohol than usual a couple of times. I was still lighter on Monday. If I'm allowed to sleep until I wake up naturally, I need about 7-1/2 hours. Now I'm back at work and so back to 5-1/2 to 6 hours of sleep a night. I think it makes a difference in how fast I lose.

Old 07-25-2015, 10:24 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,859,449 times
Quote:
Well, I do work my ass off, and I don't use 5lb weights, but yeah I agree...5lbs of muscle might be attainable for an 18yr old boy, but not a 40+ year old woman! LOL

My measurements have gone down a smidge (an inch in the waist, 3/4" in the thigh, 1/2" in the arms, 1.5" in the hips). I might just be impatient, but I was hoping the scale would move too after 3 months, and not in the direction it's going!

I was just combing over myfitnesspal and some other stuff, to see where I could make some changes and noticed that my cycle is 10 days late. Maybe it's there is something hormonal going on? I have an OB appt at the end of August...thinking I should call and make it sooner now.
I am still scouring this thread. But it looks like you are losing where it counts: the tape measure. So agree with your trainer's assessment you are gaining muscle.

I have gained 20 pounds, and it coincided with my labs (and thyrid) being way off base. I now finally have enough energy to even think about trying to lose weight again, but I haven't quite figured out what will actually work for me.

Also, hop on this group if you use Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/groups/hashimotos411/

You'll find some good tips from other Hashi people on weight loss.

Old 07-25-2015, 10:29 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,859,449 times
Quote:
Well that might explain the really late period.
And I should be transparent and say that my trainer was not aware of my personal diet when he made that comment. It was more or less a discussion a few folks and I were having at the gym and that's how I translated it to my own situation...he and I were not speaking one-on-one though.
Not to alarm you, but I experienced a very similar weight gaining period to you. I was working out hard (weights, circuits, intervals) and eating less and measuring. So basically all of the right stuff. Then my period went out of whack and a month or 2 later my labs came back horrible, and I had gained 15 pounds. From there it has been really difficult to get stable again. I still don't know what happened, but it ended up following that pattern and I am still recovering.

Old 07-25-2015, 10:44 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,057,740 times
Quote:

Good deal. You should be ready to ramp up to a sensible workout plan soon.

Old 07-26-2015, 06:45 PM

22,654 posts, read 24,579,035 times
just eat three meals a day, ditch the snacking.

Old 08-01-2015, 09:06 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,573,187 times
I've had similar problems and heard all the suggestions you've gotten here. NONE of it helped me. What did help was letting myself get really hungry instead of eating at the first hunger pain. Doing this has reminded me of when I was young and skinny and how I would feel really hungry before eating a meal. It actually feels kind of good to get hungry again and then enjoy a small healthy meal. I eat a lot of fish, but also eat a little animal fat or butter every day. I use organic vegies as much as possible and eat a lot of "greens".

Old 08-04-2015, 10:20 AM

88,518 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
I've had similar problems and heard all the suggestions you've gotten here. NONE of it helped me. What did help was letting myself get really hungry instead of eating at the first hunger pain. Doing this has reminded me of when I was young and skinny and how I would feel really hungry before eating a meal. It actually feels kind of good to get hungry again and then enjoy a small healthy meal. I eat a lot of fish, but also eat a little animal fat or butter every day. I use organic vegies as much as possible and eat a lot of "greens".
I am allowing myself to be hungry, also. I just have to be aware of the accompanying crankiness that comes with feeling hungry and curb my instincts to say things I shouldn't say. I commute to work by two trains, the second of which is a rapid transit system that means I'm usually standing like cattle with a bunch of other people, and I work next to a popular tourist spot infested with people from all over the world who have no idea how to be aware of their surroundings or walk properly in a pedestrian-oriented city. Fortunately, many are foreigners, so when I come up from behind muttering, "Get the **** outta my way, doofus", they don't understand what I'm saying. Once I get into the office and eat my hard-boiled eggs, I feel nicer. Until lunchtime, when I'm hungry again but walking for exercise and I have to get through the mobs once again until I'm on streets where they don't go.

Old 08-04-2015, 12:39 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,700,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
Good advice. Many people seem to almost fear being hungry. Maybe it's a survival instinct, but in our age of overabundant calories, you'll eat too much if you grab for something at the first tummy growl. There's nothing wrong with looking up at 11 and thinking, "I wish lunchtime would get here!" instead of eating a candy bar. DO eat and don't skip meals, but if you're hungry before mealtime, you're probably doing something right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss