Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 12:45 PM

210 posts, read 393,904 times

Advertisements

Do you think it's a good or bad idea to reward your weight loss with a sweet treat or high-fat meal? Like after every 5 or 10 pounds I lose, I reward myself with a piece of cake/pastry, or some special burger?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 01:01 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Life7 View Post
Do you think it's a good or bad idea to reward your weight loss with a sweet treat or high-fat meal? Like after every 5 or 10 pounds I lose, I reward myself with a piece of cake/pastry, or some special burger?
This is a loaded question.

This method will work for some people, not for others. YMMV.

You'll get a lot of opinions on this but in the end, what works for you is what works for you.

As for me, I work "treats," if I want them, into my daily calorie goals. And if I don't want them then I don't.

Old 05-23-2016, 02:30 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,836,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
As for me, I work "treats," if I want them, into my daily calorie goals. And if I don't want them then I don't.
This works for me as well.

Old 05-23-2016, 02:41 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
It depends on you. I basically put myself on a lockdown. I could still have the fast food I love in certain calorie limits (and only certain items when I achieve certain activity levels), but I cut out sweets, pasta and pizza - my biggest triggers. After losing 20 pounds, I reintroduced ice cream - I can have one large spoonful a day, but even then, I don't always have it.

I allow myself fast food "treats" when I have very active days - but I really am careful as to what I eat in those moments. I go to Chipotle and have a bowl with a double serving of black beans, no rice, cheese, 3 kinds of salsa, meat and guac, and I get a bag of chips to eat the bowl with. It's a calorie bomb, but the fiber and protein in it fill me up for the day - I usually eat it at around 2 or 3 in the afternoon and skip dinner. Or I go to Smashburger and get sweet potato fries and a black bean burger, another calorie bomb, but loaded with fiber and protein. Generally, I focus on emphasizing protein and fiber in those meals and try to keep the regular french fries out of the picture. Mostly unsweetened iced tea to drink, but sometimes a diet soda if I'm craving a little sweetness.

I know if I have pizza or pasta or buy a box of cookies, I will eat it until it's gone. Bread is only allowed when it's part of a sandwich. (I'm mostly gluten-free these days, except for when I get fast food. Not sure if that makes a difference.) I'm really just trying to avoid empty carbs. Ice cream works because it's a very satisfying treat. When I get to my goal weight, I will re-evaluate what I'm allowed - currently halfway there.

Overall, I find rewarding myself for pounds lost doesn't really work for me. It's like opening a doorway to backslide. I do better when I compare my activity levels with my calorie intake and then decide how much I can splurge without derailing myself.

Old 05-23-2016, 09:32 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,255,752 times
I would rather buy a new article of clothing in a smaller size!

Old 05-23-2016, 09:47 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,693,117 times
I'm kind of in this situation. I'm losing weight and getting thinner but I haven't strayed away from treats. I just simply cut back big time. I think it can be a bad thing to go cold turkey for some people.

Look at weight loss on a time line along with eating junk food. Don't look at everything in a small sample size but a large sample size. If you're improving overall you're winning. A treat here & there should not be a huge set back.

Old 05-23-2016, 11:51 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
I would rather buy a new article of clothing in a smaller size!
That's the spirit!

Old 05-28-2016, 06:23 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
One or two cheat-meals a week ain't no biggie, just don't go too overboard......don't eat a whole sheet of chocolate-cake.

Old 05-30-2016, 07:34 AM

7 posts, read 4,426 times
I think you are defeating the purpose of your weight loss goal with this

Old 05-31-2016, 09:48 AM

4,565 posts, read 5,419,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Life7 View Post
Its a bad idea. Its ESPECIALLY bad for a person who has lots of weight to lose. Someone who is already fit, or at their target HEALTHY weight has a bit more lee way because they arent trying to overcome lifelong horrible eating habits.

And really, arent almost all people who are obese and/or in need of losing weight, obese/fat because of the constant "sweet treat or high'fat meals"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss