Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 12:37 PM

10,234 posts, read 6,322,066 times

Advertisements

He was told to diet after his Heart Attack and dropped from 245 to 205. I made all dietetic meals, no fattening snacks, etc. He ate salads and drank homemade smoothies for lunch, while he was working. This past Holiday Season was his excuse. "But I have only gained 10 lbs.". He is still saying that in June, but I can see with my eyes it's more than 10 lbs.

He retired in March and just reclines, watches TV, and eats. While I still make diet dinners and don't buy junk food, he is home all day and just buys them himself.

He has blamed ME and my cooking on his being overweight before. No, way. I weigh(ed) 100 lbs. Not my cooking but what HE eats the rest of the day.

I KNOW he is gaining it all back, and then some, since his retirement. I also know he is going to blame skinny me and my cooking for it.

I do not know what to do. The man had a heart attack. Does he want to risk another? To help him, I lost weight myself but I do not need to be 95 lbs. I was snacking and hiding that from him to gain my weight back, and not let him see my snacks. Pointless since he is buying his own even worse snacks now.

I do not know what to do. He is in denial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2016, 12:43 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quit cooking and doing the grocery shopping, have him do it that way he is in control of the food that comes into the home.
As far as hiding food and snacking, there is no way I would ever do that in my own home.

Old 06-27-2016, 12:45 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
You know, my mother fights this battle, too.
It's upsetting to watch and just totally futile.

He's a grown man. Stop cooking for him and let him figure himself out.

Old 06-27-2016, 01:04 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
I've seen this so much in my own mom/dad and in other friends who "took care" of their husbands thru thick and thin. Now a few of these women are alone and one loves her freedom after 63 yrs. Her husband was up and down like a yo yo all their marriage and he so counted on her. Makes me crazy about all this and being accountable for oneself.

When I retired I KNEW I had to do something, and I did a great hobby for 3 yrs and now not much but FOR ME, I absolutely knew I had to NOT bring breads into my house, nor pies/cakes/cookies and I don't. Wish I had answers, he's his own worst enemy and we know that of all us. Thanks for sharing.

Why not go on strike in the kitchen.

Old 06-27-2016, 01:09 PM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
This isn't helpful to the OP, but sometimes it seems like more women then men have a greater awareness of nutrition or food prep, maybe because so many of us have been counting calories since we were teenagers (and I know, I know, #notallwomen.) I know of so many grown men who have never outgrown thinking that they're growing boys and can eat half a meat-lovers pizza washed down with a Coke with no ill effects.

Old 06-27-2016, 01:31 PM

10,234 posts, read 6,322,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I've seen this so much in my own mom/dad and in other friends who "took care" of their husbands thru thick and thin. Now a few of these women are alone and one loves her freedom after 63 yrs. Her husband was up and down like a yo yo all their marriage and he so counted on her. Makes me crazy about all this and being accountable for oneself.

When I retired I KNEW I had to do something, and I did a great hobby for 3 yrs and now not much but FOR ME, I absolutely knew I had to NOT bring breads into my house, nor pies/cakes/cookies and I don't. Wish I had answers, he's his own worst enemy and we know that of all us. Thanks for sharing.

Why not go on strike in the kitchen.
My husband's 3 big food obsessions are Pasta, Breads, and Nuts. I am of Italian heritage. Pasta is a side dish from my culture. Seriously. Breads? While Whole Grains are better than Wonder Bread, ALL grains are fattening especially with piles of butter. Add Nuts to that list also. "Healthy" does not equal Diet necessarily.

I like cooking. Not cook for him? Well, we live in the same house and I still need to eat for myself. Leave the cooking up to him and it would be PASTA or baked meats and canned veggies. YUCK from me. Want me to lose even more weight with his gross dinners?

Old 06-27-2016, 01:42 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,814,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I like cooking. Not cook for him? Well, we live in the same house and I still need to eat for myself.
Cook individual meals so you can still cook for yourself, and he needs to cook for himself. I live on pasta, and it's all about moderation. I think I was Italian in a previous life as it SHOULD be a side dish with all meals!!

Old 06-27-2016, 02:02 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
Quote:
My husband's 3 big food obsessions are Pasta, Breads, and Nuts. I am of Italian heritage. Pasta is a side dish from my culture. Seriously. Breads? While Whole Grains are better than Wonder Bread, ALL grains are fattening especially with piles of butter. Add Nuts to that list also. "Healthy" does not equal Diet necessarily.

I like cooking. Not cook for him? Well, we live in the same house and I still need to eat for myself. Leave the cooking up to him and it would be PASTA or baked meats and canned veggies. YUCK from me. Want me to lose even more weight with his gross dinners?
I am half italian so I know that pasta world and bread world...I don't touch either one and I always said as my last supper, it would be pasta, meatballs, sausage & peppers.....but something tells me it may be yogurt and water....but not all that heavy foods.

My sister is very very sick with MS and she did not stop eating all the above and admitted she was a sugarholic, so the foods are major and one has to take control.

I had an urge yesterday for pizza and even went online to look for a delivery but looking at all that, truly crap, I took it out of my mind.... Today I may buy a couple personal size pizzas for my freezer so the next urge. Probably NOT a good idea though.

What we could eat years ago, MANY cannot today.

Water Water Water and light foods.

Another comment about ME, what's left of my life I want it to be as healthy as I can have and don't want to be on drugs from health issues I can avoid...and hope I'm doing a good job of avoidance of poor health. I have enough with these joints so everything else I work hard to keep as healthy too.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 06-27-2016 at 02:13 PM..

Old 06-27-2016, 02:25 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,907,501 times
Quote:

No, not all grains are fattening. Processed grains that have had the bran removed when served with high fat sauces and meats are fattening. Whole grains without high fat additions are health and healthy weight
promoting.

I can pretty much guarantee your husband's weight gain does not come from eating plain whole grain pasta without sauce or whole grain bread plain by itself without added butter or other sources of fat.

Old 06-27-2016, 02:48 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,531,949 times
I know people who are crazy about fitbit...some men are gadget crazy. Maybe one would help him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss