Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 09:09 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,906,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
It does work and it has for a LOT of people including ME. My weight loss and lab work proves it and has for almost two years now and I don't plan on going back to my old way of eating ever, simple as that. So I don't know what you call the long run. There goes your theory. This a lifestyle change for me, NOT a diet.

You must know something nobody else does.
Long run = 5+ years. Let me know after that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2016, 10:18 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,819,357 times
Quote:
It does work and it has for a LOT of people including ME. My weight loss and lab work proves it and has for almost two years now and I don't plan on going back to my old way of eating ever, simple as that. So I don't know what you call the long run. There goes your theory. This a lifestyle change for me, NOT a diet.

You must know something nobody else does.
Super, you should be proud of your success. But it is not the only way. Just understanding that everyone is an individual and different eating styles work for different people is a much better way to think about food. The real key is that you are able to make this a lifestyle change. That is the biggest hurdle for people, especially those eating low carb. More power to you.

Old 09-22-2016, 12:46 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,475,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
Long run = 5+ years. Let me know after that.
You're free to post anything you want, after all this is a public forum, BUT if you go back and look at the first sentence of my post I say "This is for low carb people". Obviously you are NOT one of them, we got that. I was not intending to start a debate on the topic of low carb dieting. So I won't bother to respond to anymore of your posts. No more feeding from me.

FYI: Don't feed the Troll

Old 09-22-2016, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Super, you should be proud of your success. But it is not the only way. Just understanding that everyone is an individual and different eating styles work for different people is a much better way to think about food. The real key is that you are able to make this a lifestyle change. That is the biggest hurdle for people, especially those eating low carb. More power to you.
Thanks, I realize that is not the only way and it doesn't work for all people. I posted this for people that do use this method of dieting and I clearly stated that in my first post.

Old 09-22-2016, 02:00 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,906,644 times
Quote:
You're free to post anything you want, after all this is a public forum, BUT if you go back and look at the first sentence of my post I say "This is for low carb people". Obviously you are NOT one of them, we got that. I was not intending to start a debate on the topic of low carb dieting. So I won't bother to respond to anymore of your posts. No more feeding from me.
Yeahbut... the basic premise of the article you cited in incorrect. High fat in the case of low carb is also going to be high in protein- unless one is eating copious amounts of just fats by themselves.

Old 09-25-2016, 08:57 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
I do low-carb.

If my diet is low-carb/high-fat, as opposed to low-carb/high-protein.....I feel overall much healthier.

Old 10-18-2016, 07:19 AM

667 posts, read 1,848,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
Yeahbut... the basic premise of the article you cited in incorrect. High fat in the case of low carb is also going to be high in protein- unless one is eating copious amounts of just fats by themselves.
You can eat a meal that gets most of the calories from fat and it doesn't seem weird.

A big big salad with organic greens, cruciferous veggies, raw broccoli, peppers, tomatoes, etc, along with good fats: olive oil, avocados, nuts. Fairy low protein and carb, high fat. To add more protein, add lean grass fed meat. To add more carb, a good choice is pinto beans or red beans.

A high fat diet doesn't have to mean bacon and bologna. Fats are good for your brain.

Edit: As a personal comment I've been eating these types of high fat super high nutrient salads since my twenties (as you can see from my name, I'm in my fifties. ) So far, my numbers are good, knock on wood.

Until recent years, though, I didn't know about good fats, and I ate a lot of soybean oil:-(

Last edited by Karen59; 10-18-2016 at 07:30 AM..

Old 10-18-2016, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen59 View Post
You can eat a meal that gets most of the calories from fat and it doesn't seem weird.

A big big salad with organic greens, cruciferous veggies, raw broccoli, peppers, tomatoes, etc, along with good fats: olive oil, avocados, nuts. Fairy low protein and carb, high fat. To add more protein, add lean grass fed meat. To add more carb, a good choice is pinto beans or red beans.

A high fat diet doesn't have to mean bacon and bologna. Fats are good for your brain.

Edit: As a personal comment I've been eating these types of high fat super high nutrient salads since my twenties (as you can see from my name, I'm in my fifties. ) So far, my numbers are good, knock on wood.

Until recent years, though, I didn't know about good fats, and I ate a lot of soybean oil:-(
My favorite (currently) is a Greek salad. Romaine Lettuce, Red/Orange/Yellow pepper, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, black olives, feta cheese and my own homemade vinaigrette (EVOO, red wine vinegar, Dijon mustard, Italian herb seasonings). I also add Bella mushrooms (not greek). For extra protein, I add some grilled chicken breast.

Top 11 Low Carb Myths

Old 10-26-2016, 02:00 PM

667 posts, read 1,848,972 times
Quote:
My favorite (currently) is a Greek salad. Romaine Lettuce, Red/Orange/Yellow pepper, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, black olives, feta cheese and my own homemade vinaigrette (EVOO, red wine vinegar, Dijon mustard, Italian herb seasonings). I also add Bella mushrooms (not greek). For extra protein, I add some grilled chicken breast.

Top 11 Low Carb Myths
There is a Greek restaurant near where I work that serves a similar salad for four ninety five. (But no chicken) Real Greek olives.

I often eat that for lunch. Lately I've become concerned that what they call olive oil vinaigrette might be soybean oil. Perhaps I'm being too paranoid and silly. I guess I can bring my own dressing, but theirs is out of this world! All for four ninety five.

Old 10-26-2016, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen59 View Post
There is a Greek restaurant near where I work that serves a similar salad for four ninety five. (But no chicken) Real Greek olives.

I often eat that for lunch. Lately I've become concerned that what they call olive oil vinaigrette might be soybean oil. Perhaps I'm being too paranoid and silly. I guess I can bring my own dressing, but theirs is out of this world! All for four ninety five.
Unfortunately it's hard to know even if you are doing it yourself. There have been reports of "fake" extra virgin olive oil being sold. There was a lengthy thread about it. The way I know (kind of) is if I put my dressing in the fridge and it turns solid. Not all of it is solid but since the oil floats, the top part of the dressing is solid. I take it out of the fridge, wait a few minutes and then use it.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/food-...ra-virgin.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss